The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 25, 2009, 12:55 AM   #1
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Chicago 2nd Amendment Freedom Rally 2009

Yes, we're doing it again! For the second year in a row, on June 26, 2009, Illinois gun owners will gather at the Thompson Building in Chicago (that's across the street from Mayor Daley's offices) to show that Chicago is not the anti-gun capital that people think. It's the Second Amendment Freedom Rally!

SAFR 2009 is now only a little over a month away, and I haven't even made a thread for marshal volunteers yet!

So, here's your chance. If you were a marshal last year, you know it was no problem at all. There will be one or two changes this year, including a little clearer system for everyone to know where their area of responsibility will be, but the venue is a really good one and I don't anticipate any problems. There are no bad seats on the plaza, so no one will be missing anything to be a marshal.

If you didn't get a chance to help last year, and you'd like to pitch in this time, jump aboard and welcome!

Please post or PM reliable contact information. Email is best.

For those unfamiliar with the marshals' jobs, we do a variety of things:

* Define the area and keep people out of the street for safety,
* Keep the crowd from blocking entrances to the building or the sidewalks around the plaza,
* Help people find signs, information, restrooms, water, etc.
* Communicate with security and police personnel to handle emergencies (like the medical emergency at the Capitol during IGOLD this year)
* Look cheerful and answer questions, and most importantly:
* Seriously, this next thing is really important, so pay attention:
* Enjoy ourselves and have a fun day with like-minded people.

Last year, I anticipated helping with cleanup, but as it turned out, our crowd just doesn't produce much garbage, and a few of us spent maybe 10 minutes at most picking up a few things and counting chairs. Last year, at the very first SAFR, we drew a crowd between 500 and 1000, which filled the plaza pretty well. This time could be a great deal larger; there's more grassroots advertising going on in Chicago itself this time.

So, who wants to help?
Old May 26, 2009, 08:25 PM   #2
srt 10 jimbo

Wow, I'm from Illinois Originally(Arlington Heights) and moved to Florida 24 years ago. I cant Believe how tuff they are getting in the city and the whole state.

Tags
chicago , illinois , june , rally , safr