The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2013, 09:51 PM   #1
QuarterHorse

.452 Hardcast

So I've had an order in with Beartooth Bullets for about 6 weeks now and heard nothing other than I know they took CC info. I understand they're bus etc... but I haven't received an email or anything about my order.

Montana Bullet Works doesn't do CC and is check/MO only which I suppose I could do, but, I'm just looking for the ease of it.

Who else can I look to for quality 300+ gr WNFP or Keith style bullets in a timely fashion?

I don't want this to be a bitch thread, just wanting some info so I can get working on some hand loads for a couple of new toys.

Thanks all
Old August 19, 2013, 10:31 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

I personally like Montana Bullet Works but if it's a problem, try LaserCast bullets. They are very uniform and consistent. Better than most of the other brands I've tried. They usually have what you want ready to ship.
Old August 19, 2013, 10:41 PM   #3
QuarterHorse

Lasercast doesn't have anything in the weight I'm after but thanks for the heads up. I Kay try them for my 255 rnfp setup sometime.
Old August 19, 2013, 11:11 PM   #4
Forrest68

You could give rim rock bullets a try, I havent used them yet, but have heard good things and they say they have everything in stock.
Old August 20, 2013, 05:32 AM   #5
Mike / Tx

You might also try Cast Performance. They were the ones I started out with on my 454. They are great bullets, but I was shooting enough of them that it only made sense to start pouring my own.

If you want to try that route, the Lee 452-300RF is a great bullet. I use it almost exclusively in my 454 now. I size and install the GC's with the Lee .452 sizing die and use a tumble lube referred to as Recluse Lube or 45/45/10. It is simply the Lee Alox with Johnson's Paste wax added and a touch of Mineral Spirits. I have run the bullets cast from straight wheel weight alloy and lubed with this to 1700+fps. I don't do it on a regular basis bvut did just to find my top end on that particular load. Trust me, this is MY top end not the loads.

As for the commercial bullets you might also look at Carolina Cast Bullets, Dardas, Missouri, and Hunters. SInce I started pouring my own I haven't messed with any of them but Missouri and I picked up bullets for my rifles from them.

Hope this helps.
Old August 20, 2013, 09:20 AM   #6
QuarterHorse

Thanks guys I will do some calling.
Old August 20, 2013, 06:37 PM   #7
boondocker385

I have bought 357 and 45 acp from rimrock. Good service and quick delivery
Old August 20, 2013, 09:08 PM   #8
black mamba

Quarterhorse, I placed an order with BTB on 5/23, so a good deal more than 6 weeks ago. I emailed them last week and they said they were doing May/June orders now, so it shouldn't be too much longer. So even if they come this week, it will have been at least 3 months from the order date. Hope they are worth the wait!
Old August 20, 2013, 09:58 PM   #9
QuarterHorse

Thanks for your experience. I just checked and my order was 7/9 however I didn't get a follow up email from anyone, just a little frustrating.

Thanks again for your experience.
Old August 21, 2013, 04:41 PM   #10

You might also want to see if Missouri Bullet Company or S & S Casting has something to your liking. Both provide excellent products and are a bit more predictable in delivery times.
Old August 21, 2013, 08:18 PM   #11
gwpercle

Might be time to consider purchasing a bullet mould. Not having to depend on a supplier for what you need is a good thing.
Old August 22, 2013, 02:50 PM   #12
WESHOOT2

big'uns

Beartooth

Cast Performance

Penn Bullets
Old August 22, 2013, 04:44 PM   #13
rclark

I like Rimrock Bullets
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old August 24, 2013, 09:11 AM   #14
rodfac

Try Missouri Bullet Co, I've had good response from them, in 9mm, .40 S&W, .357, .45 ACP, and .45 Colt. Great people to do business with, and superb accuracy from their products. Sub-2" gps at 25 yds in my accurized .45's and .357's. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old August 24, 2013, 01:44 PM   #15
Voyager2011

Falcon Bullets (www.falconbullets.com). Sample size, bulk size and good prices. Ships in less than a week.
Old August 24, 2013, 08:03 PM   #16
Ruger45LC

Beartooth will get your bullets out to you, I ordered some back in April I think, or maybe May, and I just got them earlier this month. I had ordered some 300gr LFNGC for the .45 Colt and .45 Super.
Old August 24, 2013, 08:12 PM   #17
dahermit

Quote:
Might be time to consider purchasing a bullet mould. Not having to depend on a supplier for what you need is a good thing.
I have said the same thing for years. However, it seems that lead alloy is much less common these days and that situation is only likely to get worse. The Heyday of casting seems to be coming to the end and I am not very happy about it.
Old August 25, 2013, 05:53 AM   #18
Mike / Tx

Quote:
I have said the same thing for years. However, it seems that lead alloy is much less common these days and that situation is only likely to get worse. The Heyday of casting seems to be coming to the end and I am not very happy about it.
Well lets say that the hey day of picking up free lead is coming to an end pretty quick anyway.

A couple of years back when I finally dove into it with both feet, I found that in my area there are a LOT of casters. Most of whom are retired and / or have had their tire shops staked out for quite a while. Trying to get anything out from under them was impossible. Some shops had several who they catered to and some only had one who kept up with the weights on an almost daily basis.

I lucked out and found some a friend had stashed away for big fishing weights and scored a couple of buckets to get me started. After that though I just made up my mind to stock up on what I could when I could. I purchased plenty from several on different sites. I now have enough that even my grandkids will likely have some when they get in their prime.

What I found was that the 1/3/96 or the 2/2/96 was great for almost anything I was pouring so I stocked up on it as often as I could. Figuring about a dollar a pound delivered to my front porch, and what it would cost me in fuel running around all the time trying to just find a couple of pounds it was a bargain for me. Having a known alloy that I could easily blend into what ever I needed and easily repeat the exact same thing when I needed more was great.

In fact I was just contacted by one of my folks last week about picking up some more and I jumped on it like a duck on a junebug. That will let me blend up another 200+ pounds each of two different alloys, which should get me through the next year or more of shooting and hunting. Now that I have dialed in the alloy I need for my HP's for all of my revolvers and my 1911, I can shoot up the range lead for practice rounds and save the good stuff for hunting.

Hard to argue with HP's that reliably expand and look as good as most factory HP's,
Old August 25, 2013, 08:09 AM   #19
dahermit

Quote:
Well lets say that the hey day of picking up free lead is coming to an end pretty quick anyway.
Even sneaking round at night in parking lots with wheel-weight pliers is not a lurcrative as it used to be...damn zinc wheel weights.