The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 19, 2013, 11:06 PM   #26
JRH6856

$120???
(I know what my sig line says, but geez.)
Old March 19, 2013, 11:33 PM   #27
kilimanjaro

I use 'em to shoot the rats that occaisonally show up under the bird feeders. No noise, doesn't penetrate through the varmint, and kills 'em in short order.
Old March 20, 2013, 12:00 AM   #28
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Not trying to hi-jack the thread but......what is the effective range with a .22 short from a long rifle on a squirrel?
It has plenty of energy beyond 100 yards for rodents (more than 40 ft-lb).
With a sight-in distance of 50 yards, it will drop about 8 to 12 inches at 100 yards (depends on the load, barrel length, and muzzle velocity).

I know some people think that energy level (64 ft-lb) isn't even adequate at the muzzle, but the dead squirrels would argue otherwise ... if they could.
Old March 20, 2013, 06:27 AM   #29
CajunBass

I like shorts for quiet plinking. They are quieter than Long Rifle. A LR has a much sharper CRACK IMHO.

I've used them for squirrels in the past. They don't seem to mind. A dead squirrel is a dead squirrel.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 20, 2013, 08:03 AM   #30
Sport45

My Grandpa said he liked shorts because the dead squirrel always landed on the ground. Said long rifle would pass through and leave the dead squirrel in the tree..

Now, he said this in '69 or so and probably hadn't hunted for 25 years before that. I've never shot a squirrel out of a tree with anything so really can't add to or take away from what he told me back then.

I do know if they didn't make .22 short I wouldn't be able to shoot the High Standard Model C pistol my dad handed down.
Old March 20, 2013, 09:23 AM   #31
Skans

FWIW, I typically buy .22 shorts at Walmart - more expensive than bulk .22 longs, but still reasonably priced.....well, last batch I bought was 4 months ago.
Old March 20, 2013, 09:45 AM   #32
RedBowTies88

In NJ .22s is the only legal rifle cartridge to hunt with.

I use shorts often of the CCI cb varietty just in my backyard to have a little fun without upsetting the neghibors.

29g at 1000fps is nothing to laugh at, even with my low power CB's @ 710fps they still put a hurting on squirells and rabbits
Old March 20, 2013, 11:22 AM   #33
alex0535

Quote:
Not trying to hi-jack the thread but......what is the effective range with a .22 short from a long rifle on a squirrel?
Thread is about what the .22 short is good for. Its good for shooting squirrels as far as I am concerned, so not a hijack.

I think that the effective range is whatever distance you are capable of hitting a squirrel in the head with them. You hit them anywhere else they take their time dying from it. Talking about a 3/4" target that likes to move around. I would think 100 yards if the shooter is skilled. The little .22 shorts are really accurate, but I would want to know what the drop is at 100 yards if zeroed at 50 yards.
Old March 20, 2013, 07:11 PM   #34
Lemmon

22 short CB's was the only round....

22 short CB's was the only round that would shoot accurately in my son's Daisy 22 rifle. I had to work on the Daisy 22 to improve the trigger pull enough so he could pull the trigger. The Daisy is a single shot and just the right size for a 7 year old. I took the rifle apart and found that by using a hose clamp I was able to get the trigger pull to a reasonable level. I tried all types of 22 rim-fires and the only one that had a decent group was the 22 short CB. The others were all over the place. He did get a few squirrels with it. It was very quiet compared to regular 22lr. We also shot a lot of paper and coke cans.

I keep a lot of different boxes of 22's including 22 shorts to test 22 rim-fire rifles.

Lemmon from Rural South Carolina
Old March 20, 2013, 07:32 PM   #35
cobra81

.22 short CB's are considerably quieter than my (late) Gamo air pellet rifle.
I shoot squirrels and other pests (starlings) with those CB shorts through my Mossberg 44US rifle, and it just sounds like a "snap". Wouldn't even hear it from a house away.
Old March 20, 2013, 09:55 PM   #36
Mike in Va.

When I got a Stevens, model 15A ( $11.50 ), for my 14th. birthday in 1957,
shorts were .35 cents a box, and long rifles were .50 cents a box, so I usually shot the shorts.
Old March 20, 2013, 10:12 PM   #37
tdrizzle

I shoot shorts out of my Winchester model 12 pump rifle, which takes shorts, longs and LR shells. Also out of my old Charter Arms Pathfinder revolver, and a Bernardelli vest pocket auto, which only takes shorts. I imagine you could do so from any number of Ruger .22 revolvers as well.

Fun for plinking, I guess I'd use the vest pocket auto as a deep deep cover hideout, if my Beretta .22LR wasn't working. Given the size of today's semi autos in .380, you might as well carry a larger caliber for the same size pistol.
Old March 21, 2013, 12:18 AM   #38
colbad

The best gun or caliber to have is the one in your hand when you need it. The .22 short in you wife's hand/pocket is better than the .44 mag at home in the safe. It comes down to a question of what are you most likely/willing to have on your person. The cci .22 short is sure better than stern words or throwing rocks. I would not be the one to volunteer taking the one hit from it.
Old March 21, 2013, 10:21 AM   #39
Glenn E. Meyer

This thread motivated me to throw my NAA 22S in my jacket as a BUG to my Glock.

It's so cute.
Old March 27, 2013, 04:25 PM   #40
Red Tornado

It's good for it's intended use, a belly gun. As a last ditch contact range weapon. Jam it into your attackers belly and fire. The bullet is accompanied by hot gases expanding into his guts, ostensibly causing excruciating pain. The theory is that he'll leave you alone then.
YMMV.
Old March 28, 2013, 05:44 PM   #41
Strafer Gott

Like Mike I remember the shorts were a little cheaper, so a couple of nickel bottle refunds, and we were good to go hunting, as the kind soul Mr Bieler would sell us ten cents worth. Try that today! I tell you fella's, that was a DIFFERENT PLANET!
Old March 29, 2013, 12:40 PM   #42
aarondhgraham

My first rifle was chambered for .22 short only,,,

It was a Winchester pump action,,,
Model 189? and had a long octagonal barrel.

As a kid with a 50-cent a week allowance,,,
.22 short cartridges were my friend.

"Doc" at the gas station would sell me 5 cartridges for a dime,,,
That meant I picked up 5 pop bottles from the roadside,,,
Then I was set for a bunny hunt in the fields.

The .22 short rarely stopped a rabbit in it's tracks,,,
But more often than not they didn't get far.

That rifle was very accurate,,,
Dad could light kitchen matches at 25 yards,,,
It was easy to hit tin cans at 50 yards or even farther if rested.

They used to be cheaper than .22 LR,,,
I remember paying 45-cents a box in the early 1960's,,,
At that same time a box of .22 LR was going for 85-90 cents.

I keep some around now for the armadillos and possums,,,
I live in a small rural town and no one has complained to me as yet,,,
Out of my CZ-452 Special Military Trainer they seem no louder than a pellet rifle.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 29, 2013, 09:01 PM   #43
balderclev

22 short in a defensive weapon is IMO is worthless, just make some mad unless placement is good. A good placement with a 22 will drop a deer at 200 yds.

I use Eley subsonic 22's to kill beavers. 1050fps which is much quieter than a short as it is sub-sonic where a 22 short is not. Shot placement is imperative.

A 22lr or 22mag can be devastating as a defensive weapon because it can travel a long and destructive path. The key to debilitating a BG is hitting the CNS. If a bullet misses that and the TWC or PWC also does not involve then the BG may shoot back. I have seen deer shot through the heart that didn't drop immediately.

Last edited by balderclev; March 30, 2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old March 30, 2013, 12:07 AM   #44
hootey

Have used thousands of win 22 shorts in the last forty years squirrel n rabbit huntin. Have an old stevens single shot that the sights are dead on at thirty to forty yards with the win 22 shorts. The bore looks better after all these years, than some of the new 22's at the LGS.
22 shorts are very useful and wally world sells a lot of them.