The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 9, 2011, 04:11 PM   #26
Rob96

Quote:
Any other type of firearms discharge at an animal isn't hunting to me. It's just plain shooting to kill an animal to serve the shooter's purpose (self/business/property protection or whatever it may be).
Humans are animals. Burglars, rapists, murders are predators. So by your logic you would not shoot at an attacker that has entered your home. Remember you stated , "to serve the shooter's purpose (self/business/property protection or whatever it may be"

They have been attempting coyote redication for years and it will never happen. Coyotes are now getting to the point where they are entering cities and such. The only natural predator of the coyote are humans, so it is part of nature controlling a population.
Old September 9, 2011, 05:18 PM   #27
rickyrick

For the most part, predator control by the farmer and his agent is exempt from hunting regulations here in Texas.
in my experience, coyotes cause the least amount of damage of the predators. They do kill and take animals, but the bobcats, pigs, raccoons and feral dogs cause more trouble...
If i keep the varmint pile full of pigs, the coyotes tend to leave the live animals alone...so for now I leave the coyotes alone to clean up the pig carcasses.
Old September 11, 2011, 11:21 PM   #28
Lee Lapin

For some folks, shooting predators isn't hunting, it's just one more kind of work. Sort of like plowing weeds out of a field of crops. When I was growing up (back in BC, or before coyotes), every farm truck you saw had an old single shot .22 or a beat up single barrel shotgun in it. After coyotes arrived, the cattlemen all wound up with their deer rifles in the gun rack year round.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old September 12, 2011, 12:08 AM   #29
Discern

twins,

You will care as more and more farm land, ranches and livestock operations are owned by large corporate farms. Yep, OPEC for food.