The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 24, 2011, 10:40 PM   #1
Civil War Life

WW I Lugar

Can a C&R license allow me to bring back a WWI Lugar from Europe? Or do I need to get some kind of importer license? I am not a dealer, just a collector and want to add it to my collection. Don't want to have a problem when I arrive back in the US. Thanks.
Old April 24, 2011, 11:34 PM   #2
gyvel

Not sure which country you are getting your Luger (NOT Lugar) from, but, as I understand it, you need to apply to and get permission from BATF, then it has to go through a licensed exporter to a licensed importer, clear customs, and finally to your receiving FFL dealer.
Old April 25, 2011, 07:14 AM   #3
Doyle

Bottom line is NO. A C&R is not the same as an import license. Big difference.
Old April 25, 2011, 07:36 AM   #4
mapsjanhere

I found it hard to find a licensee for import, but the procedure itself is no more challenging than a normal purchase. Paperwork took about 3 weeks, and as a C&R you can get your P08 right from your importer. Mine charged $100 for 2 guns.
Old April 25, 2011, 04:08 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

There are other aspects of firearms importation, one of which is whether you can actually buy the gun in a foreign country and whether the person/dealer you buy from can export it. Some of the European dealers on the net are very familiar with the process and have U.S. associates they deal with to handle the U.S. end (either direction). But for an American just to walk into a gun shop in Germany and try to buy a handgun or to buy a Luger in a private deal in Italy is fraught with problems.

Jim