The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 22, 2009, 08:37 PM   #1
koolken

New or refurbished,what scope to buy?

I was wondering what you guys think about the Nikon Monarch 4-16-42 scopes?I also was wondering what you think about refurbished scopes compared to new as I got a great deal on this scope and I bought it.
I bought me a Tikka T3 in 300wsm and the same gun in 22-250.Im not sure on what gun I should put it on.I was also wondering if I should buy the same scope for the other gun and make the guns "brother and sister".If I shouldn't buy the same 4-16-42 give me suggestions please,oh and I like the Nikon line.Thanx.
Old May 23, 2009, 01:12 AM   #2
Regolith

I have a Nikon Buckmasters 4-14x42SF, and it's worked well for me so far. IIRC, Monarchs are a little higher quality than the Buckmasters, so it should be a good scope.

As for Refurbished....generally, they are pretty good deals, so long as the company as good QC. Refurbished items are generally fixed and tested directly to make sure they don't have any problems before being sent back out, so generally they have a lower incidence of problems. I wouldn't hesitate buying a refurbished item if it cost significantly less than buying new, and I knew the manufacturer doesn't have a major problem with quality control.
Old May 23, 2009, 06:24 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Monarchs are very nice scopes. In my opinion, better than Zeiss or Leupold scopes in the same price range. Not sure about the refurb'd part, but if the lifetime warranty is valid, it shouldn't be too much of a concern.
Old May 23, 2009, 10:49 AM   #4
koolken

Thanx guys,I was thinking the same way you were,just wanted to see if someone thought the same way I did.