The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 6, 2005, 08:50 AM   #1
Hulbert

Neck Sizing - Need to lube ?

If I'm just neck sizing a rifle case (in this case 303 British) then would I need to still lube the case ?
Old October 6, 2005, 09:03 AM   #2
Dave P

Not normally, but it also depends on which tool you are using to size.

Lee collet die - no lube.

Neck bushing die - prolly no lube.
Old October 6, 2005, 09:05 AM   #3
Jim Watson

I dip the case neck in Motor Mica (white powder lubricant) before neck sizing things like .30-06. Graphite would do as well but be messier.
I just wipe the case neck with a slightly oily rag before sizing .223 target brass in a Redding bushing type die.
Old October 6, 2005, 09:49 AM   #4
Olaf

I use my Lee full-length resizing die for this. (Yes, it works just fine - properly adjusted.) Lubing the cases, the same as if full-length resizing....is necessary. I would imagine that this would be true for any full-length die used in this manner.
Old October 7, 2005, 07:07 AM   #5
MR-7-45

Neck sizing

I thought I read somewhere that you could use a regular full length sizing die to adjust to just neck size the die. I can't find it now. Anyone point me in the right direction for neck sizing a once fired casing?
Old October 7, 2005, 08:00 AM   #6
Olaf

You can use a Lee die for this. I have heard, though I don't know this to be true, that some full-length dies won't work for neck sizing (only). With the Lee, you simply adjust the die so that the bottom is not touching the shellholder. A little experimentation is needed, to find exactly the right setting. I have marked my die with a sharpie pen (once properly adjusted). So now, it is a simple matter to set up the die for this. I have mine adjusted so that it sizes about 3/4 of the neck or so....and stops a bit short of the shoulder of the case (so there is no push back of the shoulder). It works just fine.
Old October 7, 2005, 08:33 AM   #7
Zekewolf

Save that Sharpie money and buy a Lee Collet Die. They don't cost much more than the Sharpie.
Old October 7, 2005, 12:18 PM   #8
Olaf

Sharpie marker.... $1.98. Lee Collet die....about $23. Hmmm, math is tough, isn't it ?
Old October 8, 2005, 10:31 AM   #9
Black wallnut

Many years ago I once tried to neck size only a .270 Win case in an RCBS full length die without lube. Stuck the case and had to take the die to a local gunsmith to remove the case. Since then it has been my opinion that lubing takes way less time than not. In theory lube might not be needed for just neck sizing but one stuck case will surely take you longer than the process of lubing and cleaning the lube off.

BTW with all the dies I've used (RCBS, Lyman, Lee, Hornady, and Redding; all full length sizers) to neck sizeonly all one has to do is keep the die away from the shell holder. Some use a nickel as a setup guage.
Old October 8, 2005, 11:32 AM   #10
Olaf

I found out the need for fully lubing the case (even when neck sizing only with my Lee full-length die)....the hard way. I tried it once, after only lubing the inside and outside of the neck - and promptly got the case stuck in the die. I use a hand press, so I can apply even less force than you bench press guys. However, I got the case out....with a lot of effort (I thought that I was breaking the press, while doing it). No harm done - but I certainly realised that I just better plan on fully lubing the cases, in future. So, I do just that.
Old October 8, 2005, 04:25 PM   #11
Zekewolf

Lee collet die @ Graf's (dealer price), $14; like I said, about the price of a Sharpie!
Old October 12, 2005, 03:34 AM   #12
cracked butt

Do it right and use a Lee collet die or a Redding bushing die. Lee collet dies work well enough for me.