The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 9, 2014, 03:29 PM   #1
TomADC

Remington 11-87 blue Sporting Clays

What is one of these worth? I've tried checking all the auction sites for something current found only one listed this year, Gun in 98% or better round count unknown but well cared for, been a safe queen for last five years has all choke tubes, original box & paperwork. I'd guess maybe the O ring has dried up its in the back of the safe so haven't checked recently.
Listing I saw was $650 is that about right?
Old June 9, 2014, 05:13 PM   #2
BigJimP

$ 650 sounds about right to me..../ its a good entry level gun for someone...nothing fancy....
Old June 10, 2014, 05:52 PM   #3
TomADC

Thanks Jim, I'm still in the maybe mode, also thinking of selling my Beretta A390 20 ga sporting Clays gun. The shotgun range I used to belong to has been closed down and no place close for skeet or sporting clays, there is some trap not my favorite and 5 stand which is okay.
Old June 11, 2014, 12:08 PM   #4
BigJimP

In my opinion Tom....

An all around gun --- is what is best for Skeet, Sporting Clays, 5 Stand and even for upland birds in the field....so a good semi-auto with a 28" or even a 30" barrel...or an Over Under between 7.5 and 8.5 lbs with a 28" or 30" barrel ....are just fine ( and one gun will do everything these days ) ....mostly because there is such a variety of shells out there for 12ga and 20ga...( 12ga from 1 1/8oz, 1 oz, and 7/8 oz ----- or in a 20ga with 1 oz, 7/8 oz and 3/4 oz..) .....and I have no problem with a 2 3/4" chamber in a 12ga or a 20ga for all of those things...

Between the 11-87 and the Beretta 390 series..../ the 11-87 is pretty old technology ...and while the 390 series isn't the latest technology...in general, I think the nod will go to the 390 series as being a more reliable gun. Its not that I don't think the 11-87 is a decent shotgun, it is, but is it really a better option than a 390 series....I don't think so...
----------
You can certainly shoot an all around gun for casual Trap shooting as well...especially singles / but most of us want a heavier and longer gun for Trap ( 10 lb guns ...and 32" barrels are common on O/U's ...and 34" barrel on single break open guns )...heavier and longer helps us with smoothing out our swing and follow thru / because there isn't as much left to right movement on a Trap field....(vs Skeet, Sporting, Upland birds, 5 stand - where a lot of us like 7.5 - 8.5 lb guns and a little shorter )...../ but I'm with you, I'm not a big fan of Trap shooting either...its boring...

I shot the first 3 lines of Trap yesterday that I've shot in the last 3 years...my buddy got a burr up his tail...and just wanted to do it / so we had some laughs...none of us shot too well..../ but if it was all I had around....I'd shoot it more ....
----------
I'm not sure what Beretta is doing in their semi-auto line of guns...but it looks to me like the 391 series is being replaced by the A400 Xplore line ....but there must still be a lot of the 391 series, that replaced the 390's, out there still in the distribution system....and there must be some deals to be made if you can find one you like as an all around gun....like the parallel comb target model they had....
---------
But it all comes down to budget ...and what suits you ..../ good luck in your search....( but I'd keep that 390 series 20ga unless you really have to sell it / or unless its got close to 250,000 shells thru it by now....)....
Old June 11, 2014, 12:17 PM   #5
TomADC

Jim, I agree you are right, just hang on to these, maybe somebody will open a skeet range again or I'll shoot 5 stand again.