The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 3, 2012, 11:46 PM   #1
TheKlawMan

Fiddling with the XS, an Adjustable Pad

I thought it best to address my questions regarding gun fit and utitilizing an Adjustable Pad seperately from the Adjustable Comb thread.

I shoot a Browning Citori XS Skeet with a parallel stock and my neck is a bit long (and possibly arthritic). In order for me to get a firm cheek weld I have to either slide the gun up so the heel is well above my shoulder or I have to lean far over the comb so that my glasses almost touch my thumb. And then it is very hard to maintain a good cheek weld as I really have to force my head down on the stock.

I think the solution to this piece of the fit issue may be an Adjustable Pad. Today I tried emulating the fit of one by unscrewing the standard pad, removing the screws, sliding it down 1", and taping it in place. It seemed to reliefe a lot of the pressure on my neck and enable me to keep a good cheek weld.

No, BigJim, I am not going to fire it with the pad taped in place like that!

In short, I hope to emulate a Monte Carlo stock with an adjustable pad. Any comments or suggestions? Any favorite makes? I am also considering one as part of a recoil reduction system.
Old November 4, 2012, 12:47 AM   #2
340 Weatherby

Klawman, it might pay for you to schedule a visit to see Joe Shiozaki at J S Air Cushion stocks in Azusa. I think he can make it all work for you. I've known several guys who have purchased one of his stocks in the past and they all seemed to shoot better afterwards. I think he has a better option than putting an adjustable comb on your gun. Pacific Sporting Arms is next door. That is where I bought Jason's Beretta. Some of the guys working there shoot 100's, I just shoot 25's once in a great while, so I'd listen to them. Be warned though, once you shoot one of those airstocks, It might be love!
Old November 4, 2012, 02:38 AM   #3
TheKlawMan

Hi 340. Actually I was at J&S Air shocks just a few months back and talked with Paul about an adjustable comb; not their air shock. I will PM you about that. If I correctly recall, and I do, Zippy13 used to deal with Joe and preferred the J & S Air Cushion over a later Shockmaster tht Zippy got on a newer gun.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; November 4, 2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old November 4, 2012, 12:28 PM   #4
BigJimP

I like the idea of visiting JS Air cushion stocks as a plan as well.

They should have a "Try Gun" set up ...so they can evaluate what you're saying .../work with you a little on the "Try Gun" and then evaluate how to set your gun up so its the same.
---------------
...../ but I really wish you'd tape a Jones pad or something on your current gun ...and snap a few photos.../ ....it would at least be good for a laugh.
---------------

Now for a serious answer: If you were to put a Jones pad, or something like it on a GraCoil or a standard stock ...you set it up at home - about where you think you want it - where it seems comfortable - and you have the midrib bead and the front bead stacked in a figure 8 ...when you mount the gun...

...to evalute the setup / how to adjust it at home .. ( use the old drill - look at a light switch on the wall accross a room at home (unloaded gun of course) ...close your eyes / don't move your head - mount the shotgun so it feels comfortable - and open your eyes and see if you are still looking at the switch.

.... then take it to the pattern board ( with a full choke in - at about 25 yds ...and dial in the point of Impact) with small adjustments in the comb or the jones pad or both.
-----------
( and while you're at JS Air Cushion - have them cut the adj comb in the gun and install the hardware) !! Yes, I told you you'd regret not buying it that way out of the factory ...but it'd be rude of me to say, I told you so ...)
Old November 4, 2012, 03:44 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

How could you ever be rude, BigJim Maybe a trip back to see Paul at JS Air Cushion is just the thing.

I do think the old light switch drill also helps. Today I noticed that the gun wants to point left almost regardless of foot postioning and then I noted that my hips are sligthl twisted left. I don't want to force it, but by allowing the hips to point off to the right as they seem to want to my gun is pointing only slightly left when I open my eyes (this is without forcing my wrist to twist in or pulling the stock tight into my face.)

Quote:
...to evalute the setup / how to adjust it at home .. ( use the old drill - look at a light switch on the wall accross a room at home (unloaded gun of course) ...
But a loaded gun is so much more fun. The red lights, sirens, screams, and police bull horns.
Old November 5, 2012, 11:53 AM   #6
BigJimP

You do make me laugh....

....( and cry a little ...and even swear once in a while....).....

......Have a good week buddy.

( Too wet to shoot this week ....so I'll have to rest on the laurels of that 98 a few weeks ago ....and the 97 last week../ not great, but they make a grumpy old guy smile...)....
Old November 5, 2012, 11:58 AM   #7
TheKlawMan

Sorry. I didn't mean to make you wet yourself.
Old November 5, 2012, 12:16 PM   #8
BigJimP

Well, ok .....but I still have that 98 and 97 ..... ( my guns Fit !! )...
Old November 7, 2012, 03:43 PM   #9
TheKlawMan

Pictures?

Quote:
I really wish you'd tape a Jones pad or something on your current gun ...and snap a few photos.../ ....it would at least be good for a laugh.

Here is a picture of my fine stock smithing, another of the gun mounted with the pad lowered just less than an inch, and a third with the pad back in place. I lowered the elbow of my strong arm so as not to block the view of the mount. Note how lowering the pad to increase drop at comb increases distance from nose to thumb. It also seems to take a lot of pressure off of my neck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nov7 017-001 (2).JPG (67.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (231.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (230.7 KB, 14 views)
Old November 7, 2012, 03:49 PM   #10
BigJimP

Ok, after I quit laughing ...and wipe all the tears of joy out of my eyes...???

--------------

Ok, I see why you need to do something...to take the pressure off of your neck.

Those guys at JS Air Cushion, I'm sure will be able to help you out !
Old November 15, 2012, 04:15 PM   #11
TheKlawMan

Just wanted to say that I got a pm the other day from someone that made there own adjustable pad and how it releived their neck pain. Hopefuilly they will post here about what they made and possibly provide some pictures. It sounds like a job well done. Should for any reason they wish to remain private, I am not simply doing a copy and paste.