The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 19, 2006, 10:31 PM   #1
Benzene

Safest cities

One online news agency today carried a story that read in part, "New York remained the safest of the nation’s 10 largest cities in 2005." The safest cities included, "San Jose, Calif.", "Los Angeles," and "San Diego". Dallas, TX was the city "with the highest crime rate," i.e. most dangerous. This is "according to FBI statistics."

My friend gleefully shook a fist and yelled, "See! Gun control works!"

Let's have a good defense. Thanks.
Old September 19, 2006, 10:51 PM   #2
Jason607

LA and NY one of the safest cities? I guess depends on where you go. Maby your buddy should move to South Central LA or Brooklyn/Bronx/Harlem. Maby one of the most improved, but not the safest.

Dallas might be more dangerous not because of gun ownership, but because of Illegal Immigrants.
Old September 20, 2006, 08:16 AM   #3
atlctyslkr

It depends on what crime you're talking about. I'd rather be the victim of a burglary than a murder. NY and LA don't have absolute gun control. They don't have easy to get CCW but LA doesn't require permits for long guns or handguns kept at home and NY has a relatively easy process for longuns. Getting a premise license in NYC for a handgun is not hard (I know someone who went through it) it just takes a while. He said they are more interested in collecting fees than keeping people from having a .38 in the nightstand.

Let's look at DC or Chicago, that's some serious gun control.
Old September 20, 2006, 08:41 AM   #4
springmom

Don't forget Mark Twain

It was he who said, "There are liars, d*** liars, and statistics". That came to mind when I read about NYC. The question I have is, are they talking about all five boroughs, or are they only talking about Manhattan? Makes a difference if you get to exclude the Bronx and Queens.... I don't know the answer. Does anybody else here?

It will undoubtedly shock you all to learn that Houston is #4 on the most dangerous. It did me. I thought it would have been 1 or 2.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old September 20, 2006, 09:01 AM   #5
Syntax360

Dallas news has been running this story non-stop. I'm curious if the study measures only violent crime or all crime? Seems harsh to call Dallas the "most dangerous" of the 10 big cities if most of that measured crime is theft, etc.

In any event, Dallas chief of police blames domestic violence for putting us in that slot and points the finger at specific neighborhoods with disproportionate amounts of crime and reminds us that DPD is short of officers right now.
Old September 21, 2006, 06:28 AM   #6
matthew temkin

Crime in NY is way down.
I was a NYC Court Officer from 1979 until 1999 and saw the trends.
Both Queens and The Bronx shut down their county jails due to lack of need and the city has bounced back from it's low in the mid 1970's---when I was a college student/part time cab driver.
I believe the report.
Gun control did not do this--it was agressive police work and cracking down on all criminals.
Thanks to Mayor Gulleaini.
Old September 21, 2006, 05:25 PM   #7
thebaldguy

Safe cities? Not Minneapolis. Especially some neighborhoods in North and South Minneapolis. I should point out that if you stay out of those places you're generally safe.
Old September 21, 2006, 05:38 PM   #8
Tayta_Mayne

Can someone post a link to this list? Or can someone please post where Columbus, Ohio stands on the list, if it is listed.I know we were number 7 on the top ten murder citys list.
Old September 21, 2006, 07:05 PM   #9
skeeter1

I think this is the list you're looking for:

http://www.morganquitno.com/cit06pop.htm#25

Columbus is on the "dangerous" list, but I'm not one to argue with it. I live outside of Cleveland, OH, and we've had shootings almost daily. The gang activity has virtually ruined the Flats entertainment area. It seems the gang members all pull out their 9mms and start shooting. Gun control isn't going to keep the kidz-in-tha-hood from getting ahold of a firearm. Consequently, I won't go into downtown Cleveland any longer.
Old September 21, 2006, 07:23 PM   #10
glock19xdsc

Gun Control works? How does the NYC crime rate compare to ALL US cities, or the US as a whole, instead of just the ten largest cities?

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/data/table_01.html
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/data/table_02.html
"There is no retreat, but in submission and slavery. Our chains are forged. Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston! The war is inevitable--and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come!" - Patrick Henry, 1775
Old September 21, 2006, 08:47 PM   #11
Tayta_Mayne

Thank you skeet. Im shocked that we beat houston.