The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 2, 2000, 01:33 AM   #1
Jon Carter

Two actually.

By what means do you guys transport extra ammo when going out for a full day? How much do you bring? ( assuming Deer Or Bear)

Also rifle cases; any soft cases better than others?
Jon Carter

Old January 2, 2000, 06:09 AM   #2
Robert the41MagFan

Four arrows when bow hunting.

A wheel full when handgun hunting.

Five rounds (or maximum) when rifle hunting.

You don't need to carry any more than this.

Robert

[This message has been edited by Robert the41MagFan (edited January 02, 2000).]
Old January 2, 2000, 11:06 AM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

41's correct from my perspective, although I do carry (with bolt rifles) the 5 in rifle & another five in the day pack. Only once in 30+ years of deer/elk hunting have I ever emptied the rifle on elk & that was a very unusual circumstance.

Usually it's the one shot, track (if that)/find & maybe another shot for the coup de grace.

When I first started elk hunting, I would carry a pistol, a sheath knife, a folding saw, way too many extra rounds, so much extra junk. After a bit of experience, I pared it way down.

I see folks in the woods with hatchets, saws, bunches of extra rounds on cartridge belts, big ol' knives that would scare Jim Bowie, pulleys & gambrels & rope & think how much better shape they must be than me! & BTW, they usually don't have any elk either.

'Course for doves, I sometimes pull a wagon of shotgun shells.
Old January 2, 2000, 11:48 AM   #4
Mikey

Several years ago I started using one of the elastic nylon cartridge carriers that slip over the buttstock. I started using it because I was hunting with a Ruger No. 1 single shot rifle (still do), but I liked it so much I put one on all my hunting rifles, even the bolt guns.

It's nice to have extra ammo (usually hold about 8-10 rounds) just in case. In some areas you could get lost or stranded and really need it for signaling, etc! As a side benefit, the nylon covers the part of the stock which contacts your cheek - a comforting feeling when it coooold outside.

As far as soft cases, I have one that I especially like. I think it's made by Allen but it has no tag on it so I'm not certain. It's padded extra thick, will float with the gun inside and has the normal carry handle and a sling strap. When stand hunting in rough terrain I pack the rifle in the case till I get in the stand. It makes me feel better knowing the gun is fairly well protected while I'm pulling it up to the stand with a chord.

Mikey
Old January 3, 2000, 08:50 PM   #5
Ankeny

My brother hunts with Ruger Number One rifles and he carries three to five rounds. I carry three in my bolt gun and two more just in case. Of course I have another half dozen in camp or in the truck.

My favorite soft case is made by Boyt.
Old January 4, 2000, 12:27 AM   #6
Will Fennell

UNCLE MIKE'S makes a nice little 'fold over' ammo carrier that will slip on you belt. Hold 4 rounds on each 'half' that folds back on itself and velcro's shut. I usually put just 'half' or 4 rounds in it, a slip it in a pocket. Keeps the rounds from 'rattling' and also protects them. This plus the 5 rounds in my M70 30/06 is usually plenty.

Very handy little piece of gear, and quite affordable to boot. Been using the same one for 6-7 years, washed it the other day, and it looks like new. If I loose it, I'll get another.

------------------
Stay Sharp!

Will Fennell/CAMILLUS CUTLERY

Old January 4, 2000, 02:35 AM   #7
mineralman

Well, I have never been hunting for deer w/ rifle, living in a shotgun only state. For that, I carry three in the gun, and another five on or about my person. When varmint hunting, though, with a .222, it's 20 or more, plus a bunch in the car. i don't know which is louder, the rifle or me cursing when i miss the bleeping chuck by a bleeping quarter of a bleeping inch. I've never been bear hunting, but have an uncle who has several times. He always carries a t/c encore, with one in and several extras, plus a .44 mag somewhare nearby. For elk, though (not that i've ever been thanks to that annoying little restriction know as very little in the way of legal tender) however, many of my relatives favor an m1 garand. eight shots in, plus up to four more stripper clips.
Old January 4, 2000, 07:00 AM   #8
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

"many of my relatives favor an m1 garand. eight shots in, plus up to four more stripper clips."

Damn! It's not like elk try to eat you! I wish - it would make 'em easier to hunt. I can see the decoys now! BTW, CO limits semis to 6, although you could have a belt-fed pump.
Old January 4, 2000, 03:08 PM   #9
Ldoll

I carry my extra ammo in a shooters stock pack that I purchased from eagle industries. It is made of cordura and has a suede cheek rest. It holds up to five extra rounds in the loops. Hook and loop fastners keep it on the stock. It comes in three different colors(drab, black, and woodland camo),except the suede part which only comes in black. It also has a zippered pocket. I put my cell phone in it. I'll give you the website of the company that makes it and sells them. They also make soft gun cases for a variety of different guns.

www.eagleindustries.com

Old January 6, 2000, 12:44 PM   #10
muleshoe

4 or 5 extra rounds in a handy front pocket is all anyone should ever need. Only once have I ever emptied my gun into an elk, this was under very unusual circumstances, very bad bullets that didn't expand we we're trying out for the first time. Can't see it ever happening again. But just in case, always carry a few extras. If you can't kill it on the first or second shot, maybe you shouldn't be shootin at it.
Old January 6, 2000, 12:58 PM   #11
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

I carry a savage bolt rifle that holds 4 rounds in the magazine and I Carry 1 spare magazine of 4 rounds in a pouch on my belt. Again, not so much to shoot it out with the elk, but on the off chance you need to shoot more than twice or have an ammo failure/etc.

Before I had a clip rifle I used an uncle mike's slip-over bandolier on the stock and would carry 4 in the rifle and 8 on the stock (because the extra wieght made the gun balance better) but with heavy handling your bullets CAN fall out. Don't store the rifle with the bandolier on the stock, remove it so that it stays "stretchy" over time.

My dad hunts with a 760 Pump gun and carries two spare clips, but i think this is a habit he picked up antelope hunting.. where we shoot at much longer ranges (and have been known to run back to the truck for more ammo)

For heavy cover hunting/signaling/finishing off/etc etc etc. I carry a 44 magnum and with and 18 rounds on my gunbelt. Its a lot of extra wieght but I'd rather have it than not. (before i carried an elk-legal handgun I carried a .45 and 3 clips.. about the same amount of ammo).

When I carry my pump shotgun with slugs I'll put 4 in the gun and put an unopened 5 pack of shell in my pocket (they don't rattle).

On cases:

Better to have a hard case than a soft one. 1. It will protect your optics better.
2. It will protect your finish better
3. You are less likely to leave it laying around by accident and lose it.

The exceptions to this are: a "parachutsists weapons case" Designed for holding your long gun while you jump out of airplanes, you can also unfold it and use it as a shooting mat. Or if you have iron sights, a heavily padded BOYT case is nice. I like the ones with an accesory pouch for ammo/spare clip etc.

Hope the info helps,

Dr.Rob
Old January 10, 2000, 10:04 PM   #12
Jon Carter

Thanks guys! Many great replies and alot of gear/options I need to go surf and check out.

Dr Rob:

Who make a "parachutists weapons case"?
I like the sound of that... I am wondering how much it weighs. I guess it allows for quick presentation as well?

Thanks to everyone for the great input, very helpful.

Jon Carter

Old January 11, 2000, 09:27 AM   #13
Ldoll

Jon,
www.eagleindustries.com makes two cases that sound similar to the parachutists weapon case. They both hold your rifle and let you unzipper them to let you lay down on a padded mat. The more expensive one ($160.00) as loops inside to hold your rifle. It holds ammo, cleaning rod, and has a detachable knee pad. It also has padded straps to carry like a backpack. Worth checking out.
Old January 11, 2000, 01:39 PM   #14
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Jon,

I've seen that for sale as US GI surplus in a number of ads in the shotgunnews. Construction is usually heavy canvas that has been "weatherproofed" with a waxy sealer.

I've wanted to get one of these for a while to try out. I think it's called a "weapons case, parachutists', individual " in military speak.

Hope it helps,

Dr.Rob