The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 16, 2016, 07:11 PM   #1
SwwPlayboy

Beowulf charge handle. Issue or expected?

I have a 50 beowulf, complete, from Alexander Arms. Gun works great. One hell of a power house. I had a short stroke issue a little while back, sent it in the AA and hasnt had an issue since. They are good people, highly recommend their products.

I was shooting iron sites and have now switched them with the Leupold Hamr. Ive had to snug up a bit closer to the optic to get full view and Ive noticed the charge handle will pop back and touch me on the cheek after each fire. I am not the most ar-15 savvy person out there so Im not sure if this is normal or not. Ive shot my 6.5 snugged up as well and dont recall feeling the charge handle hit my face. Is this just something a beowulf does?

Any information is welcome. Thanks.
Old August 16, 2016, 09:20 PM   #2
mehavey

Charge handle shouldn't even move, much less smack you in the face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuQayLVbiSU [20 seconds in...]

You saying it's actually moving back w/ the bolt carrier?
Old August 16, 2016, 10:01 PM   #3
SwwPlayboy

Yes it is actually coming back and touching my face when fired. I thought maybe it was because it's not your standard 223 round and maybe the recoil of the 50 was causing the charge handle to unlock and travel back with the bolt
Old August 16, 2016, 10:09 PM   #4
mehavey

Nope -- shouldn't move at all ...by it's very design.
(FWIW: and it doesn't in my AA/Beowulf either)
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=11

(Make sure the charge handle raceway is absolutely straight (no rubbing);
and lube it and bolt carrier gas (key) inlet just a bit and see if that solves
the problem)
Old August 16, 2016, 10:24 PM   #5
SwwPlayboy

Usually when something goes wrong with with one of my gun's, I sit down with my wife and a glass of scotch and describe the problem while hold the parts of concern explaining to her how they are suppose to work. Doing this, I have seen, as you've said, by design, as long as the charge handle is locked in place, it should not move.

So I'm guessing maybe the times it has come back to touch my face perhaps the handle was not locked into place. I need to take it to the range and test this theory.

Is there such thing as upgrading a charge handle?
Old August 16, 2016, 10:57 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Recoil should keep the charging handle in place; the receiver is recoiling and even without being locked, the handle will try to stay in place (forward). I suspect something is rubbing or some vibration is unlocking the handle. You might try a stronger spring under the latch.

Jim
Old August 16, 2016, 11:29 PM   #7
SwwPlayboy

Thanks Jim.

Yah I just got done compairing it to the charge handle on my 6.5. Definitely feels much looser. Thinking I'm just gonna spend $20 on a new one
Old August 17, 2016, 01:11 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
So I'm guessing maybe the times it has come back to touch my face perhaps the handle was not locked into place. I need to take it to the range and test this theory.
A friend of mine has one of the AA .50 Beowulfs, and I always kid him about how the recoil will give it an "auto collapsing" buttstock. He's fired it at least a couple hundred times, and so far, so good. He's had NO issues with it. (the stock, or anything else)

Recoil could be unlatching the charging handle and it could be sliding out, you didn't mention it having any force behind it. If so, a stronger spring will be the cure.

On the other hand, if it wasn't fully latched, you'd get the same result, and a new spring won't fix that.

Take it to the range, fire the same amount as before, but slide your hand along the comb of the stock and bump the handle fully shut each time, when you charge the gun. IF its recoil, it will come unlatched again. IF it doesn't what probably happened was it didn't fully latch before.

(also make sure there isn't any debris of any kind in the latch recess or the latch mechanism. AND, just to be sure, take a look at the hook on the latch. Any sign of distortion, rounding of the hook, etc., replace it. If the gun is under warranty, have AA do it.

Good Luck, and let us know how it works out, please!

Edit to add:
Just spoke to my friend, he has 600rnds through his Beowulf, no issues at all. He suggest taking the charging handle from your 6.5 with you and the Beowulf to the range, and swap them out to see if it is the gun (recoil) or just the charging handle. (swap them back when finished).

If its the charging handle, I'm sure AA will make it good for you.

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes.
Old August 18, 2016, 04:07 AM   #9
peggysue

If you look at the thread that was closed I put info in there. I am probably one of the few who actually do have a Beowulf. I never had an issue with my charging handle ever. The recoil is not that bad on these carbines. Like any big bullet more of a push than a snap. Just extremity loud.
First See if the optics mount is interfering as it was not an Issue before this. I put a picture of your optics and the mount sticks out pretty far and back.

Thanks

Last edited by peggysue; August 18, 2016 at 04:56 AM.
Old August 31, 2016, 10:02 PM   #10
SwwPlayboy

44 Amp, I took your advice and switched out charge handles. Put 50 rounds through it before the guy next to me cussed me for bringing something so loud to the range , oops. Never came back to touch me in the face. So I have ordered a new charge handle to replace. Thanks for the idea.

peggysue, yah I checked the optic but because of the hand guard I have it dressed with, the optic sits much to high for it to interfere with the charge handle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50 beo.jpg (210.4 KB, 20 views)
Old August 31, 2016, 11:01 PM   #11
mehavey

FWIW: The charge handle should actually lock into place in the upper receiver when closed.
https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.h...f=122&t=609547