The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 23, 2014, 04:10 PM   #51
Shooter2675

Rsnell,

I do not know why anyone is thinking I am trying to over load a .30-30. I AM NOT GOING TO DO THAT! I AM GOING TO SIMPLY RELOAD PER MY RELOADING MANNUALS! It's getting a little annoying (no offense) when people are like "you need a test barrel" and "you better right your will before you shoot it". I'm starting to think some of your are trying to discourage people from reloading!

Sorry for my little rant I'm just a little fed up the over loading pressure comments.

John
Old December 23, 2014, 04:52 PM   #52
458winshooter

30-30

My Lee Modern Reloading has data for a 190 gr cast bullet and I have found data for a RCBS 30-180-Fn that weighs in at 187 grs.Lyman makes a mold for the 30-40 Krag #311284 that is supposed to replicate the original jacketed bullet for that round very closely and it is a 210 grainer with a gascheck that may work.I would however agree with most of the others that it will be hard to beat a 170 loaded to its max.Going to a heavier bullet you loose a lot of speed,overly so in a 30-30 and may not penetrate as deeply 300-400 fps from a 170 to a 190 and both will shed velocity very rapidly.
Old December 23, 2014, 06:20 PM   #53
Pathfinder45

Whoa! Let's all lighten up a little......
Some people reload to save money.
Some people reload to afford to shoot more.
Some people reload to make better ammo.
Some people reload because there is little or no ammo for their caliber.
Some guys reload to get away from the Ol' Lady.
Among these reasons and perhaps several others, is that many of us are highly experimental. "They", say it can't be done, and then some, "Fool", proves it can be done. We shouldn't be too quick to be nay-sayers. Look how far the 45 Colt has come in spite of the nay-sayers. Of course, reloading isn't for everybody; you can blow yourself up. But there are also any number of us that have loaded good safe loads without established data for the powder at hand by using data from other similar powders as a starting point and being cautious. I have an excellent load with a powder that I don't even know what it is, but I've got plenty of it and it works well. Beginner reloaders should not attempt to do some of the things that are better left to those with more experience; but c'mon...... We're all here to be helpful or be helped without offending or being offended. Let's lighten up; it's almost Christmas.
P.S. One of the things that makes the 30-30 a great cast bullet shooter, is its long neck that keeps the lube and gas check sealed in the neck.
Old December 23, 2014, 06:50 PM   #54
Greg Mercurio

Gosh John I can't imagine how any of us would ever, EVER construe your possible intent from the following statement:

"I would like some that are super heavy but relatively slow for home defense or for camp defense when hunting, something along the lines of a 200 grain plus bullet that will stop a bear in its tracks at close range."

You act like a child.
Old December 23, 2014, 10:06 PM   #55
Drm50

Balls !!!

I have loaded balls in 22, 30, and 375 rifles. Always run them through sizing die.
Lubed with Aloxed. Got very good results at gallery range, 25 yds. Cast some
hard 32 balls run them about 800fps, shot some squirrels with old 721 Rem./4x.
Slightly belled case mouth with tapered screw driver to start ball. Seat flush and
lite crimp. Also have ball and double ball loads for 45Colt, 44 mag and 357 mag.
It ain't rocket science!

Never trust a guy who rents pigs!
Old December 24, 2014, 11:04 AM   #56
Shooter2675

Greg Mercurio,

I believe you mis interpreted my post. When I said super heavy load I meant a heavy buolet, hence be saying relatively slow. I am sorry you read it thst way, but I didn't mean it like over loading at all. I understand my words would have been easily misread as they were vague, but just to clear that up for everyone, I meant a heavy bullet with a regular load, not vice versa. I had posted several other times to clarify, so I didn't think it would be an issue. I apologize for the rude comments I made and hopefully you now understand what I meant.

But, even if I am at fault, I still do not appreciate your "acting like a child" comment.

With much regret,

John

Last edited by Shooter2675; December 24, 2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old December 24, 2014, 03:59 PM   #57
Pathfinder45

EXTREME 30-30 Ammo

Here's the link to the hottest 30-30 ammo I know of: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=222
I dont think you can easily duplicate this with handloads unless you can get the bullets. All else being equal, heavier bullets are longer bullets and thus need a higher rate of spin to stabilize. There are limits to what will work.
Old December 25, 2014, 08:26 AM   #58
Greg Mercurio

John: I'm past the age of worrying what people think of me, I call's 'em like I sees 'em. And I take no offense whatsoever on forums.

That said, your posts are angling for things not necessarily attainable with a 30-30 parent case. Certainly you can load it down, certainly you can load it up. But the practical limits are powder capacity/action strength on the large slug size, and the need for accuracy with the varmint end.

Good luck with what you're trying to do. But my old guy advice is if you want a 1-shot lever action bear stopper, get a .45-70. No matter how hard you try, you won't get there with a .30-30.

Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.
Old December 25, 2014, 01:00 PM   #59
Will-j

Extreme.30-30 Rounds

@ Shooter 2675; From your initial question and subsequent replies, it appears you have your mind set on doing whatever you set out to do in the first place with total disregard to the advice directed toward you, which happens to be in your best interest. SO....go on and disregard all the given advice, which you asked for in the first place and do what you intended to do in the first place.....Just keep this bit of advice in mind, as it comes from someone such as yourself although 36+ yrs. ago. You WILL find that:
A) NO spitzer bullet 200gr. or over will be driven fast enough to expand at the low velocities you will get with the .30-30 case, (the jacket is thicker than the bullet jacket designed for the .30-30 velocities) especially as you expect to use it for 'Bear Medicine'. B) Should you load such a bullet and [single-load] it in the chamber, If it is too long to cycle through the magazine into the action/breech--It will not eject from the action as it will be too long to clear the ejection port. Your only recourse there will be to pry the extractor hook from the cartridge rim and hope like hell you don't break it.... Or remove he bolt and remove it (the loaded round) that way. Your only other option is to fire the round and then eject the case.
As for a varmint load....Speer Manual #10 has, on pg.215, several loads with the 110gr bullet which should fit and/or fulfill your needs for any 'Varmint' you may wish to go after. If you can't do it with a 110 gr. @ 2600-2700 FPS, then you're not going to be satisfied with anything delivered by the .30-30. Listen to what advice was offered to you and heed it closely, it is given by persons in the know....by those who have "Been-There-Done That" and have learned "THAT" through experience.
No disrespect intended in the least.... But do not ask for advice from anyone if you insist on questioning that advice after it given.
Good luck in your endeavors with the .30-30. It appears [that] you will need it.....A whole lot of it.

PS. That 'Someone' mentioned earlier was none other than myself. I learned the hard way.... and I wouldn't want you to experience some of the things I did while learning that some things just "Ain't gonna happen the way you expect them to." No matter how much you wish they would. I will honestly say that every thought you expressed in your thread passed through my mind in 1978.
WILL.
Old December 25, 2014, 08:29 PM   #60
TXGunNut

I like to remember that the Thutty-Thutty was the hotrod of it's day....but that was almost 110 years ago. Today it's still a great round and one of my all-time favorites but others have come along that shoot flatter and hit harder. For a varmint or plinking load CCI used to make a 100gr half-jacket bullet that may work for you. About the heaviest I'd go in the 30-30 is the Lyman 311041 or a NOE copy of that old classic, it weighs in at about 180grs. The 30-30 is a lot more gun than most folks give it credit for and there's no real need to hotrod it. It's limited by the action strength of some guns and also by the case design and size. Hornady has pushed the envelope a bit with their LVR ammo and powder line but I would approach those performance levels with caution.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old December 25, 2014, 10:04 PM   #61
William T. Watts

I think the first thing you should do is purchase a good reloading manual (ABC'S of reloading) and read it cover to cover, when you've finished I would suggest reading another manual I.E. Sierra or Nosler. Maybe a light will come on and understanding this hobby and the new concepts will begin making sense. For example if the round you chambered OAL is too long you may be able to load the round by hand directly into the chamber, if you don't fire the round it may not eject because the nose of the bullet extend into the chamber and not allow ejection.. There are minimum and maximum lengths for loaded rounds for a reason and shouldn't be ignored.. Better yet understanding why there are minimum and maximum lengths for a loaded cartridge would be better.. William
Old December 26, 2014, 08:43 AM   #62
TimSr

Quote:
For a varmint or plinking load CCI used to make a 100gr half-jacket bullet that may work for you.

Hornady made those as well. I could not get them to come close to equal 22LR accurracy, and they expand violently on impact. I loaded some in 30-30 and .06 at greatly reduced velocity. At those weights I got far better (but not great) accurracy using 110 gr RN .30 carbine bullets.

To get any real rifle quality accurracy, I had to go up to a 130gr spitzer in my Winchester.
Old December 26, 2014, 08:56 AM   #63
Ritz

It's certainly possible to get some energetic loads out of a 30-30 lever gun. If I was stuck with a 30-30 and there was a bear in camp, I'd probably want something like this:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=222

Best,
Old December 26, 2014, 12:09 PM   #64
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Remington at one time produced a unusual bullet for the 30-30s use. Wasn't marketed all that long as I recall. A little sabot seated in their cartridge with 223 55 gr. SP. Very speedy going down range but only showing marginal accuracy. I only seen them on shelves for a year or so. Does anyone else remember those Remington Supersonic thingy's having a speed of 2181 (mph) or more at muzzle?

Some of the old timer bachelors I hunted with as a kid preferred their 30-30s to fire something in the 200 gr. plus range. Especially those Gipo's who were left to fend for themselves over the Fall & Winter months by their logging boss to cut large tracks of forest tree's. They often encountered bear & cougar hanging around their abode in those uninhabited places and needed something a little different than the usual store bought hunting ammo. Thus heavy homemade Cast was probably the most favored for that situation.
Old December 26, 2014, 02:24 PM   #65
Griff, SASS93

Quote:
Remington at one time produced a unusual bullet for the 30-30s use. Wasn't marketed all that long as I recall. A little sabot seated in their cartridge with 223 55 gr. SP. Very speedy going down range but only showing marginal accuracy. I only seen them on shelves for a year or so. Does anyone else remember those Remington Supersonic thingy's having a speed of 2181 (mph) or more at muzzle?
Yes, they were called "Accelerators", IIRC. Used a 55 gr .223 in a plastic sabot. And got around 3400fps. And yes, accuracy was less than acceptable. They also made them in .30-06. I think you can still get the components. http://www.eabco.com/remington-accelerator-sabots.html

190 grain cast in a .30-30 is a very viable combination. However, to feed thru the action of a levergun, they must be set back in the case, limiting your powder capacity. I wouldn't think of them as a bear "stopper" by any means. Just as in real estate, that means, "...location, location, location...!" As with the right hit... a .22lr can and, has stopped a bruin. But, frankly, I'd want my 375 Win. at a minimum!

Last edited by Griff, SASS93; December 26, 2014 at 02:31 PM.

Tags
.30-30 , custom , high velocity , lightweight , varmint