The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 18, 2011, 02:10 PM   #1
HisSoldier

Rare Ruger pistol?

I didn't take photos! The pistol is supposedly previous to even the red eagle model 1's the grip panels had no logo of any kind, and seemed an odd shape to me, target rear sights and brass blade front, which the owner said came with it "So you can file it". The barrel is 3 3/4" long which he said doubles the value. I may be able to get photo's later, but have to show more interest than I want to at the time. It is definitely a Ruger .22 standard model, but odd looking and obviously early. I can't find photos of it anywhere, nor any info on a 3 3/4" barreled Ruger standard model pistol. Can anyone direct me to a site for rare Ruger auto's?
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old November 18, 2011, 07:35 PM   #2
RJay

For starters , if the grips do not have either a red or black Eagle ( later after Sturm passed ) then the grips are replacement. Ruger, to he best of my knowledge never used brass front sights. I am far from being a Ruger expert but it sounds like the gentleman is a snake oil sales man.The Red Eagle grips are valuable with in them self and many have been removed to go on E-Bay. Could be wrong, been wrong before and will be wrong in the future
Old November 18, 2011, 07:58 PM   #3
claymore1500

By "standard model" I assume that you mean a single action, I do not recall ruger ever making a 3.75 inch bbl on any of thier SA's, also the brass blade front sight seems odd.

Also I agree with the post claiming "replacement grips" ruger has always (as far as I know)had thier logo in some from or another, on thier grips.

NOTE: I just reread your post, I didn't notice the request for a link to rare ruger "auto's" my bad, but, my opinion still stands

Last edited by claymore1500; November 19, 2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old November 18, 2011, 08:11 PM   #4
claymore1500

HTTP://hunting.about.com/od/guns/1/aast50rugersa.htm

Try the link above, it is a history of ruger autos.
Old November 18, 2011, 08:23 PM   #5
HisSoldier

Thanks gents, I had started to think the guy played loose with the facts.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old November 18, 2011, 11:09 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Ruger's early production models had the red eagle logo (left side only) and a steel front sight. But there were pre-production models with no logo and even with plain wood grips. A brass sight blade is a fairly common pre-production item for fixed sight guns so the sight can be filed easily to determine the right height for the produciton gun.

So is the seller full of it? Maybe, maybe not. I would like to see pictures if possible.

Jim
Old November 20, 2011, 06:07 PM   #7
PetahW

FWIW, the Ruger Standard Model was their basic 9-shot .22LR semi-auto pistol w/4" tapered bbl & fixed sights, that soon evolved into the Mark I, Mark II, & now the Mark III.

Old November 22, 2011, 10:36 PM   #8
HisSoldier

I really need to take photos, I could see the genealogy, but sure looked weird. I don't know the guy though. He had full auto trigger groups for AK's and that made me feel strange too. It may technically be legal when kept apart but gives me the creeps.
Old November 23, 2011, 03:00 AM   #9
Bill DeShivs

The Ruger standard model frame was very similar to a drill that Sturm-Ruger made in the 1950s.
Old November 26, 2011, 07:14 PM   #10
PetahW

FWIW, This is a very early Standard Model, originally packed/shipped in a salt cod (fish) box.

Ruger made tools B 4 pistols, ca 1947-49:

Last edited by PetahW; November 26, 2011 at 07:19 PM.