The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 17, 2011, 04:02 PM   #1
lasvegastransplant

7mm Rem Mag Dies and Brass "EDITED VERSION"

I just picked up RCBS 7mm Rem Mag Dies and 399 cartridge cases. 100 of the Nickel plated ones look 100% new. All of them look pretty clean.

I edited this thread .. WAS SELLING and now thinking about reloading.
I now have decided to keep these and reload them. Just keep them for the future. Might as well.

I'm NEW and have never reloaded a single cartridge. Is it possible for me to learn with 7mm Rem Mag? I mean is it smart? I am not dumb, it's just that I have never tried. I was going to learn with .380. I already have all this stuff(7mm). I just need bullets and some powder. Should I attempt it? I will triple check everything. I just want feed back on how it would be learning on such a big round? DANGEROUS or possible? I think I can. What's your opinion? THANKS
Thinking 4:24/7 is a way of life.

Last edited by lasvegastransplant; May 19, 2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Decided to keep my stuff and learn with it.
Old May 17, 2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Dr. Strangelove

Used dies - $15-$20
Primers - $3- $4 per hundred (can't ship them, except as UPS or FEDEX hazmat)
Fired cases - $15-$20 per hundred
New Nickel cases - $25-$30 per hundred

Probably $85 - $100 local Face to Face for the whole package (just off the top of my head)
Old May 17, 2011, 04:38 PM   #3
lasvegastransplant

Everywhere is sold out at those prices.

Midway has the NP 100 count on sale for $61.
Old May 17, 2011, 06:42 PM   #4
Dr. Strangelove

That's retail, you won't get that private party. There isn't a huge demand for nickel rifle cases either. Most folks won't pay more just for nickel.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:45 PM   #5
lasvegastransplant

So 85 -$100?

OK Thanks. I have them posted here where I live for sale or trade. I'm going to see what I can turn these into.
Old May 20, 2011, 07:05 PM   #6
hooligan1

You may need to read about handloading first, the ABC'S of Reloading. And maybe you could try a few Manuals like the Nosler #6, and the newer Hornady manual. These are a really good starting point. Maybe you could find somebody you already know, that handloads to get info, realtime. I'm currently working up loads for mine, Nosler Partitions and Ballistic tips. There will be more responses to your thread I'm sure.
Old May 21, 2011, 02:56 PM   #7
dikko

Yes, of course you should load your own. What regular shooter doesn't ? It will improve your knowledge and thus shooting satisfaction enormously. Sure, most of us start with handgun, and the 7mm Rem Mag is maybe an ambitious place to start.

Before you do anything else, buy a reloading manual, Speer is a good one, and learn everything you can before getting to work. If you can, get some hands on instruction from an experienced rifle reloader, but there are some cowboys out there, so find one with a reputation for knowledge, care, and who puts safety first.

Be aware that rifles are less forgiving of mistakes, of which the most obvious is overloads. An overload in a 38 Special revolver might blow up the gun, but you'll survive 20 000 psi at arm's length without much injury. You are less likely to survive an overload at 70 000 psi right next to your face. But such mistakes are rare, and millions of shooters worldwide roll their own without problems.

Once you've gotten into it, you'll never look back.
Old May 21, 2011, 03:14 PM   #8
RedNeckWino

I reload alot of 7mag, really no different than any thing else. Powder, primer, case and bullet. Just make damn sure you do NOT over charge this round, or any other. Read your manual and pay attention to the max load value. Should be done with any load you make, not just 7mag. Good luck and don't forget to come back and tell us what you came up with and pics of the shot group. A quality digital scale and a good balance scale could both be used. I have both. I trust the balance more, but use the digital to get things going also. I am one that firmly believes in weighing every charge perfectly. But I do shoot long range comp, (out to 1000+), Consistency is accuracy.

53.5g of RL22(Aliant Powder), CCI magnum primer, 150gr. Nosler ballistic tip, Winchester brass. = My hunting load. Savage 110, 7mm rem mag, 29" barrel with 60% muzzle break, Jeweled bolt and Timney trigger. Quality optics help put this round in a .94" group at 200 yards

Last edited by RedNeckWino; May 21, 2011 at 03:23 PM.