The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 15, 2010, 12:37 AM   #1
frumious

Die wrench for Lee dies?

Hi All,

Recently I was trying to figure out a problem with my .45ACP reloads. At one point I had to adjust one of my Lee dies by loosening the lock ring and adjusting how far I had the die screwed into the toolhead (RCBS Pro2000 press). Well there wasn't much clearance, especially since I was using a big-ol' crescent wrench. I got the job done finally but I found myself wishing for a better tool.

I was at Auto Zone today and noticed they sold individual wrenches. I thought I remembered the Lee die lock nuts were 1 1/8" so I looked for that size wrench. I found it but the dang thing was over a foot long. It had a boxed end on it but it was so thick I knew it wouldn't clear - there's less than 1/8" gap between the lock nuts on adjacent dies. And the open end was so massive I figured the crescent wrench I already have would do just as well.

So...does anybody make a wrench just for these 1 1/8" lock nuts on reloading dies? What do you guys use? I mean, I don't usually have to make this sort of adjustment but when I do, the big crescent wrench is a pain.

-cls
Old November 15, 2010, 05:10 AM   #2
Sport45

I have used a deep socket to lock down the sizing die. I'll set it first. The others of mine do well finger tight, so I put them in later when clearance isn't so much an issue.

(I'll snug the lock ring down with a case run into the die to keep it from turning.)
Old November 15, 2010, 07:41 AM   #3
GP100man

Floatin dies !!!

If ya titen lees down to the point of the ring against the toolhead it takes away the purpose of the rubber o-ring , to let the die float somewhat.

I`ve always titen as tite as my fangers would go & never had an issue with the die moving .

I load in batches on single stage for sizing & use a rcbs locring on sizers but have my lee powder thru & seaters on a turret with the lee loc rings..
Old November 15, 2010, 09:17 AM   #4
wncchester

Wrenching dies down is neither needed nor helpful; finger tight is plenty tight.
Old November 15, 2010, 09:48 AM   #5
Locoweed

I scouted around the local flea markets and found an antique short, compact wrench, unhardened, that almost fit. Cost about a buck. I had to file about 1/8" off the inside of the jaws to work. While I myself usually only tighten dies down finger tight sometimes there is a need for a wrench. I have a large home made powder measure stand that holds four powder measures and they are held in place by dual (upper and lower) standard die lock rings. I tighten them up with the wrench to keep the measures from spinning in their mounts during use. So... next time you go to the flea market or a used tool shop (like a pawn shop) take a lock ring along with you and test the wrenches you find.
Old November 15, 2010, 09:52 AM   #6
hogcowboy

Die wrench for Lee dies?

Try your nearest welding supply shop. I use a oxygen/acetylene wrench that came with my setup. If a lost that wrench that's exactly where I would go. It works just great. It's only about six inches long and about 3/16 of an inch thick.

American Legion Rider
Old November 15, 2010, 09:59 AM   #7
rogn

Lee's easy

Just put a witness mark on the dies and a witness mark on the press or turret. Then when you place the die in the press tighten it to the witness mark. The "0" ring will hold the die in place then with just finger tension. As mentioned above the die floats and selfaligns, AND IT WILL NOT MOVE, unless you move it.
Old November 15, 2010, 10:00 AM   #8
jbrown13

Here is a link to a Hornady die wrench, and the large end is 1-1/8" between flats. You'll probably have to cut the end off so that it will work with the Lee dies as an open end wrench. It may or may not work.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=191984
Old November 15, 2010, 10:54 AM   #9
frumious

Awesome, thanks for all the replies! I'll probably try that welding rig wrench idea.

-cls
Old November 15, 2010, 11:32 AM   #10
overkill0084

Here is what I use for my adjustments:

http://www.blackanddecker.com/power-tools/AAW100.aspx

Go ahead & laugh. Silly? I thought so too (it was a gift from my wife), But it's pretty handy to have around. I'm sure you can find them cheaper than the price shown there.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old November 15, 2010, 01:50 PM   #11
Jim243

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-piec...set-30064.html
Old November 15, 2010, 03:58 PM   #12
Poodleshooter

I use my fingers. Why would you wrench in a die? I don't think I've ever even seen the slightest hint of movement in my Lee dies when they are screwed finger tight onto the press. You just have to remember to screw the die down using the lock ring rather than the die body.

Do you guys have dies that back out during reloading? What axial force is causing them to turn in press?
Old November 15, 2010, 11:47 PM   #13
Lost Sheep

Wrenching your Lees

A faucet wrench will work. It is hollow, basically a hexagonal sheet metal tube that will drop right over the die.

If you turn it with your fingers, you can easily get your die finger tight+p and do it easily, no matter what size your fingers are. Or you could stick a screwdriver shaft through the holes in the sides of the wrench if you wanted to crank down. But it is not usually necessary.

It would even work with the 4-hole turret, but the clearances between dies on the 4-hole are so tight that you would have to grind the corners off. It would weaken the wrench a bit, but the flats will be enough to turn the die/nut combo. Grinding the corners off would enable adjusting the flats to fit better. The size selection in these faucet wrenches is somewhat limited.

Lost Sheep
Old December 9, 2010, 10:57 PM   #14
frumious

Well, I have looked around for a wrench and have been unable to find one. OK, I didn't look very hard (I went to Harbor Freight). But I think I did find a solution. I have ordered this kit from Dillon plus some extra 1" lock rings:

One reason I stopped is that I got some Redding dies and they have a cool knurled ring that is circular and has a set screw. I thought "Wow, maybe I should just get a bunch of those rings." But they're like $5 a pop. So I just googled for 7/8 x 14 lock rings and on the second page I saw something about Dillon and their 1" lock rings.

That reminded me of the lock ring wrench I saw at my local gun store - it was this Dillon one. I actually bought it and then returned it the same day because it didn't fit my rings. I figured the little rings it fit were special and only for Dillon dies or something. Looks like that is not the case.

So anyway, they are on the way, and I figure they'll be just what I need. Also, the increased clearance might make more "normal" choices possible as well, e.g. a 1" deep-well socket. With the clearance between the Lee rings on the RCBS toolhead, I don't think a 1 1/8" socket would have worked.

-cls
Old December 9, 2010, 11:27 PM   #15
Taroman

What Frumious said. Get the Dillon setup and throw away the LEE rings.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old December 9, 2010, 11:39 PM   #16
j2flan

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=221930
btw-- KEEP the LEE rings they work great they are a lot easier to use .
The above wrench works like a champ on my PRO2000
Old December 10, 2010, 08:41 PM   #17
bamacisa

I use an adjustable wrench (crescent wrench) No big deal...works for me. Am I missing something? Usually I just use my fingers and don't get the die that tight.
Old December 10, 2010, 09:24 PM   #18
noylj

If you use the Lee lock rings with the o-ring installed, then finger tight is good enough.
There are two ways to use a lock ring:
1) To lock a position on the die body. This allows you to remove and reinstall the die with the lock ring acting as a stop. You need to get the die in the correct position, turn the lock ring down finger tight, holding the lock ring and die, back out the die, then tighten the lock ring to the die. For this, you need a split ring.
2) To lock the die to the toolhead. For this, any proper sized nut works just fine. This is great for use with die bushings and replaceable turrets and tool heads. It's not so good if you are going to be removing the die later.
The Dillons are good 'cause they are smaller and Dillon builds all their presses with the dies as close as physically possible.
I like to take the Lee lock rings, remove the o-ring, and install them with the o-ring groove up. This allows me to screw a die in further and still have some threads left.
It would be nice if all my dies had the Dillon lock rings, but any lock rings works just fine.
Also, I bought an expensive 1 1/8" wrench and find the the box end works well for my dies in my 1050 toolheads. Overkill, but it works. The Dillon wrench that came with one of my 1050s was already sprung from someone forcing it at some point. My wrench will never spring like that.
Have wondered if Dillon would replace the wrench.
Old December 11, 2010, 12:52 AM   #19
Citywaterman

I use the RCBS DIE LOCK RING WRENCH. I found it at Grafs.com for $6.89. Works great. I just use it to lightly snug the die nut. A little easier than finger tightening. It's like a socket, specifically made for the reloading dies.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/13049
Product Information
No more bashed knuckles or fumbling with adjustable wrenches. The RCBS Die Lock-Ring Wrench simply slips onto the die lock ring for quick and easy adjustment. A pivoting handle allows leverage from any angle and the heat-treated steel stands up to all the brute force you can muster.

Citywaterman
Old December 11, 2010, 12:43 PM   #20
brickeyee

Replace the cruddy lee rings with Hornady or RCBS.

Either clamp type or set screw style.

There is no reason to use a wench to tighten dies.

When you get them set correctly, screw down the ring finger tight while using the press to push the die gently upwards (if the ram is short use something of uniform thickness to fill in the space) then tighten the clamp (or set crew) on the ring.

Set up is then just screwing the die in until the ring is finger tight.

There are even decent arguments for removing the spring clip that retains the shell holder and using an o-ring.
The shell holder can then move slightly as the shell enters the die.
Old December 11, 2010, 11:51 PM   #21
BigJakeJ1s

I agree; there is no reason to tighten a die in the press with a wrench. However, sometimes when the lock ring is tightened in place on the press (either by set screw or cross-bolt) it can jam against the press, requiring a wrench to loosen at least the first time afterward.

I much prefer a cross-bolt lock ring to a set screw lock ring. The reason is that the set screw forces the lock ring off-center on the die, which also means the side opposite the set screw will tighten against the press more than the adjacent side, forcing the die off-axis. Even the Lee lock ring, which I generally abhor, does a better job than a set-screw lock ring with regards to maintaining the die alignment with the press. But the cross-bolt lock ring has the advantages of both: the cross-bolt lock ring allows the die to maintain alignment with the press, and stays put while the die is out of the press.

Andy
Old December 13, 2010, 08:25 PM   #22
frumious

Got 'em!!

Mmmm...Dillon lock-ring goodness. Who knew what a difference 1/8" could make? I have plenty of clearance for the supplied wrench.

Old December 15, 2010, 12:48 AM   #23
aerod1

Totally unnecessary to tighten any more than finger tight on Lee dies.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old December 15, 2010, 07:53 PM   #24
frumious

In your experience, maybe. In mine, they back out. Don't know why, they just do. Also, I like the idea of there being no possible chance of the dies moving. Hence, the lock rings.

Aero, I notice you are in Garland. I am at the GPSR pretty much every weekend.

-cls