The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 26, 2010, 09:40 AM   #1
mrappe

Does anyone make their own BP paper cartridges or pellets?

One thing that I down't like about c&b pistols is the measuring of powder. Especially at the range. While pre-load several cylinders I still have to reload some of them and I use a tubular brass flask with the thumb leaver that allows me to push on it and trickle the powder into a adjustable black powder measure with the swivelling funnel on the end. While this works well it is slow at the range. I was thinking about making some paper cartridges.Then I was thinking about making pellets but I don't know how wekk the pellets would work is it was a solid pellet as apposed to pouring in and compressing loose powder.
Old October 26, 2010, 12:00 PM   #2
zippy13

We all share your frustration with metering powder in the field/range. I've tried several approaches.

1. I've made powder dippers from old brass. Originally I just used a .45ACP case with a wire handle. That has evolved into using .45LC cases and making dippers with integral pouring spouts and rifle cases soldered on as handles. I number each dipper's capacity to correspond the the LEE dipper numbers. The built-in spout eliminates the need for a funnel.

2. To avoid having to measure in the field altogether, I make up loads with cigarette papers. I've tried three different methods: A. Mini-powder bags of just powder; B. Paper cartridges with ball and powder; and, C. Paper cartridges with powder, lubricated wad and ball/bullet. All work well in my Ruger Old Army because of it's generous frame clearance, but can be a bother with the more crowded replica pieces. Consequently, I load the Ruger in a simple pistol stand, and use a cylinder loader for my replica guns. In both cases, since the cylinders weren't originally intended for paper cartridges, some paper is sheared off during the ramming process.
Old October 26, 2010, 12:00 PM   #3
arcticap

The Pyrodex pistol pellets work perfectly in this video and produce plenty of smoke too. But they do need to be inserted into the chamber right side up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGkxQ...layer_embedded
Old October 26, 2010, 12:25 PM   #4
wogpotter

Quote:
I use a tubular brass flask with the thumb leaver that allows me to push on it and trickle the powder into a adjustable black powder measure
I think I have the exact same powder flask as you do!
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...26#post4288026
Try this change to technique & see if it helps.

Put a finger over the tip of the long brass spout. Invert the flask, open the valve & shake gently.

Close valve.

Un invert & then remove finger.

Is the tube 90+% full of powder?

If it is pour this into the measure & see how much there is.
(You might want to test with a bigger container, or set the measure to a big number so if there is a spill you'll be able to set the measure for the charge thrown.)

This is using your flask's spout as a measure at the same time as you decant powder & is a fair bit faster than trickling into a measure.

If the spout un-screws from the flask you can get different sized spouts to meter different amounts of powder, usually in 5 Gr increments. If you need an intermediate volume just get one size bigger & file away the tip till the volume comes out right.

Its still a good idea to use the measure as an intermediate container, but it is still faster than trickle pouring.
Old October 26, 2010, 01:55 PM   #5
mrappe

Quote:
The Pyrodex pistol pellets work perfectly in this video and produce plenty of smoke too. But they do need to be inserted into the chamber right side up.
I have heard about those pellets. I wonder if you couls make some out of BP and form them in a cylinder and then press them out of the back (from where the nipple would screw in) with a small wodden dowl. Then the would be the correct size to begin with.