The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 2, 2000, 10:08 AM   #1
Battler

This is my SS Kimber Compact

The gun's always ejected a little erratically. Extractor was a little loose - I had a gunsmith just cut me a brand new one and it's nice and tight and has the cut at the bottom.

It's still hitting me in the face occasionally, ejecting forward sometimes, etc. I don't think it's limpwristing - indeed, I've even been experimenting with gripping with my right thumb on the safety (i.e. gun not moving much at all) and it happens much the same.

I had swapped out my recoil spring with a stock-strength Wolf. Back when I did it it didn't make a real difference.

Can something be wrong with the ejector? It looks okay but what do I know. Would something like a semi-extended ejector be a good "overkill" solution?

Any advice?

thanks,
Battler.
Old June 2, 2000, 10:39 AM   #2
Bongos

I used to tinker in 1911s, usually the angle of the case leaving the ejection port is determined by the angle of the extractor and wether you have a standard ejector or extended ejector. Your gunsmith should polish of file the extractor in a different angle, until the cases are ejected high and to your right. Hope this helps!
Old June 2, 2000, 05:42 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Moving over to the Smithy forum...
Old June 3, 2000, 12:40 AM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I assume you have ruled out ammo. If so, note that the extractor has a lot to do with ejection. It not only has to hold the case until it strikes the ejector, it provides a pivot point for the empty case as it exits the ejection port.

Before you tinker any more with the ejector, try loading an empty case into the chamber, and working the slide. If the extractor pulls the case out of the chamber and then drops it, you have found the cause of your erratic ejection. You can buy a new extractor or try tuning the old one.

BTW, I have been told Kimber uses MIM extractors. Extractors should be made of good spring steel for proper performance and long life. If I was misinformed, my apologies to Kimber.

Jim
Old June 3, 2000, 07:18 AM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Battler, Jim is right about extractors having much to do with ejection although the normal result of lack of extractor tension is stovepipe jams. What's happening with your pistol is inconsistent slide travel. If the slide comes back at the same rate of speed and same distance shot to shot the empties will go in one general direction. Whether your differences are coming from relaxed grip, loose slide, no guide rod, inconsistant ammo etc, it's difficult to say but that's what's happening. You could go to a McCormick Tactical ejector or a full Extended ejector and that MIGHT stop you from getting hit in the head but it won't change the eratic spraying of the brass. It'll will just throw it farther. I've seen 1911s tuned to the point where, as long as the shooting postion is the same, all the empties will drop into a 5 gal bucket. Consistency is pretty much the key to everything in a 1911. George