The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 19, 2011, 06:37 PM   #1
bswiv

Gator season start..........

There is a kind of long story that explains why Louann is in the water.......mostly revolving around a old back, a block & tackle, a locked hatch, and a forgotten key.

And yes, there was a spare key in the boat.......in the locked hatch with the block & tackle.

The last picture explains why I'm a few days late posting this. That's a 11'11" going on ice, along with two 10 footers and a 10' 7" 500# stud that was missing a good 2 feet of tail.

These 4 ( Contract cleaning we do for other hunters. )are in addition to the one we caught. To say we had a ton of gators to clean just about hits it on the head.

And that's in addition to running our regular wholesale seafood business at the same time.

Sleep has been at a premium..........but then we'll be back on the water before sunrise............

Old August 19, 2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Deja vu

very cool pictures. That water is beautiful. Not sure I would get in water that I just pulled that gator out of.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old August 19, 2011, 07:22 PM   #3
FrontSight

Always look forward to these awesome threads by you!

Thanks again for all your help & advice; I will post pics and video as soon as I can...
Old August 20, 2011, 04:45 AM   #4
swopjan

I have GOT to get in on that!
Old August 20, 2011, 08:30 AM   #5
Doyle

My hunting buddy has been out for the last 3 nights. Nothing but little ones. There are some giant gators down here but there are precious few places that aren't off-limits to hunting them.
Old August 20, 2011, 08:40 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I been waitin' to hear the first lizard report from bswiv...
The feller does score some big units!!!

I bet louann had plenty of guff for you about the locked hatch and where you put the spare key...

Are the spare door keys to your trucks kept securely locked in the glove box

Brent
Old August 22, 2011, 09:42 AM   #7
FrontSight

Quote:
I bet louann had plenty of guff for you about the locked hatch and where you put the spare key...
Ha, they really are all sisters, cut from the same mold in some ways, huh?
Old August 22, 2011, 10:05 AM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Don't fergit... Louann is the one who committed agg. assault on a foldin' chair that ticked her off!
Brent
Old September 2, 2011, 08:06 AM   #9
Michael Ruggiero

gator hunt

Wow! that is awesome. I'd love to do a gator hunt. Do you need to draw a tag? How difficult is it to get a tag?
Old September 2, 2011, 08:41 AM   #10
oneounceload

Brent - friend of mine goes in the Ocklawaha - this year he and SIL took 4 - all over 11, 2 12'+ - he doesn't even bother with the hides anymore, says the prices aren't worth the hassle to him, but he takes some of the meat and gives the rest away. He has also killed African crocs, elephants and an assortment of critters around the world
Old September 2, 2011, 03:09 PM   #11
Buzzcook

http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/ma...gator-harvest/

Michael that should give you a start on gator hunting. I'm pretty sure there are enough to go around.
Old September 3, 2011, 02:30 PM   #12
Michael Ruggiero

gators

Hey Buzz, I appreciate the info. Looks like this might be a hunt on my short list.