The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 2008, 09:25 AM   #1
Prince55

.30-06 Loads---Varget powder---

I have a Remington 700 adl .30-06 and it looks like about 22in. barrel
measuring from the bolt face.
I have some Varget powder and Hornady 150gr bullets with cannelure.
What is a pretty good accuracy load and would I be a little better off
with a Sierra bullet-both in the Spitzer design?
Do you need a magnum primer with Varget?
Happy Holidays to All
Thanks
Old December 22, 2008, 01:03 PM   #2
Antihero47

No, you do not need a magnum primer. Also I hope that you take caution with your loads and gradually step them up.

Anyways, here is my load that I worked up with my Mossy ATR in 30/06 that has a 21" barrel.

Winchester Brass - Trim 2.494"
CCI 200 Large Rifle Primer
49.5g of Varget
150g Sierra MatchKing Boat Tail
Cartridge Overall Length (C.O.L.) - 3.25"

Pretty simple load and will get me MOA or better groups, I will have to start playing with the load and seating depth to see if I can tighten it up.
Old December 22, 2008, 01:44 PM   #3
DaveInPA

I just wanted to add - Varget is awesome.
Old December 22, 2008, 03:15 PM   #4
[email protected]

I had a great varget load for an '06 i had a few years ago. It was 50.0 grains of Varget under a 150 Hornady SST loaded to the cannelure. Stops deer quick
Old December 22, 2008, 05:54 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Varget is particularly suited to the .30-06 because its bulk fills the cases better than some others popular in that round. I've had more than I care to mention here under a 175 grain SMK without seeing any pressure signs other than primers getting a little flatter. Not enough to be concerned with. With the 150 grain bullets, I show a load in my records agreeing pretty well with Antiher047: 49.4 grains under the 150 grain SMK seated to 3.150" COL in a Remington case. That is a mild load. The next one could be too warm for some guns, though it worked fine in a specially modified Garand with a gas plug vent:

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

52.0 grains of Varget under the 150 grain SMK with 3.150" COL in Remington Cases.

With either one, work up the load watching for pressure signs. Don't just copy it.

Stick powders in general have so much space between the grains for flame front travel that they don't need a magnum primer. Benchrest shooters have shown that, in general, the mildest primer that works will give the best accuracy. So, you probably want to use something like the Federal GM210M if accuracy is your main concern? Magnum primers will raise the peak pressure, so if you decide to try them anyway, be prepared to work the load back up.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle