The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 4, 2007, 03:01 PM   #1
Kyonic
Registration in progress

Suggestions for new Hunting Rifle

Hey guys well I just found out that in Indiana we can use pistol caliber rifle for deer hunting! Now to find a nice one.

Well I am wanting to go with a .44mag lever gun, but I do not know where to begin. I am really leaning towards the 20in Puma Rifle it looks nice and the reviews are good. Or try to find a nice used one, maybe the Ruger Deerfield?

My other choice is a TC Omega, or the New TC Triumph becasue I can hunt rifle and Muzzleloader seasons with this gun. The bad is follow up shots and it is not cheap to shoot.

Well if you have any suggestions I am all ears!
Old August 4, 2007, 05:41 PM   #2
Zombie Steve

I had a Marlin 1894PG / .44mag. It was a solid platform. A great brush gun. I shouldn't have sold it. I can't comment on the others, sorry.
Old August 8, 2007, 04:17 AM   #3
Old Poet

I don't remember where I saw it, but isn't/wasn't there an over-bore problem with 44 mag Puma's?

I'm partial to Marlin '94's. I've got a 44 mag with a Williams sight to replace the factory jobs. I'm thinking of starting to reload cause its so fun to shot, but expensive.
Old August 8, 2007, 09:15 AM   #4
tyrajam

Pretty exciting, isn't it? I just got an old ruger 44 carbine, they're kind of hard to find though. I got mine on gunsamerica, havn't shot it yet so I'll let you know. Make sure you shoot a 44 lever before you buy one, the marlin 44 I shot kicks horribly. I like the Puma, nice copy of the wonderfull win 92, but I would go with the 45 colt, hardly any recoil and you can do so much with this old cartridge! Hot loads are almost up to 44 standards. Plus, if you really want power, you can go with the Puma that shoots both the 454 and the 45, but your shoulder will hate shooting a hot 454 load out of a 6 pound gun!
Old August 10, 2007, 06:50 PM   #5
Jack O'Conner

This is my Ruger 96 in 44 MAG. Easily the most accurate 44 MAG carbine on the market today. Styling is not for everyone. Each to his own I say.

Good hunting to you.
Jack