The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 20, 2012, 05:02 PM   #1
riggins_83

S&W Shield 40 Review

Found and purchased a new Shield 40 today, serial number starting "HA." After a field strip, clean and lube with Shooter's Choice FP10 I went out to the range and setup a silhouette target at 5 yards. With both Remington UMC 165 grain FMJ and Speer Gold Dot 155 grain factory loads it's a very controllable gun, was able to two handed rapid fire quite well without significant muzzle climb. Shooting this gun one handed provided a fair amount of muzzle climb however not so much as to be uncomfortable. I only used the factory extended magazine; don't care for my pinkie hanging off on a gun like this. No failures whatsoever in the 64 rounds I shot.

I've not owned a 40S&W in quite a few years however this incredible little piece will be my new carry gun. The trigger is different and far better than the original M&P Trigger. For a 40 this gun's very mild, doubt I'll ever feel under gunned with 8 rounds of 40 S&W. If so it's time to grab the rifle!

Last edited by riggins_83; November 20, 2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old November 20, 2012, 05:46 PM   #2
Furminator

I love my Shield 9. I bought it to replace my PF-9 as my CCW. It is an extremely well made pistol. Oddly enough, though, I'm still carrying my PF-9. It is just way lighter and a wee bit smaller. I'll keep the Shield for special occasions
Old November 20, 2012, 10:13 PM   #3
dean1818

Thanks for the write up

I absolutely love my Shield 40

0 problems

Very accurate

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old November 20, 2012, 10:15 PM   #4
riggins_83

Dean,

What load are you running through yours? After having run the GD 155s through it I will probably try some Gold Dot Short barrel 180's.
Old November 20, 2012, 11:07 PM   #5
dean1818

For carry, I use the Corbon DPX which is an awesome round

For target, i use cheap

I have just ordered a reloading die set, so this will soon get a steady diet of
Missouri bullet company cast lead for the range

My M&P 45c is incredibly accurate with cast bullets over bullseye powder

Old November 22, 2012, 05:57 PM   #6
riggins_83

I picked up some Speer Gold Dot short barrel 180 loads for it which I'll test this weekend. Holster on the way is a Comptac Infidel, for now a Galco Summer Comfort for a Glock 19 fits it quite well.

Last edited by riggins_83; November 22, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old November 26, 2012, 11:55 PM   #7
riggins_83

Update: Gold Dot 180 Short barrel loads run very well in this gun. It's currently riding in a Galco Summer Comfort designed for a Glock 19 (fits very well), Comptac Infidel is on the way for it!
Old November 27, 2012, 12:04 AM   #8
TheGoldenState

Cool review.

I am an advocate of the SW M&P line. It outdoes the other major polys in GLOCK and Springfield, imo.

I have had absolutely ZERO malfunctions, of any kind, in my original MP .40.
Probably my favorite gun. I have it in getting an APEX trigger put in, now. I also will most likely be getting the MP Pro Series in 9 (for faster follow up shots) as well.

I'm interested in the Shield. Local GS hasn't had any in. I have the Kahr PM9 now, which seems to be, by majority consensus of forum surfing, to be one of the top pocket guns----and I agree….never a single issue, smooth, accurate.

I wonder how the shield would stack up against it…..
Old November 27, 2012, 09:18 AM   #9
shurshot

I examined a coworkers MP SHIELD 9mm yesterday. and I am impressed. Be aware though, the Sheild, unlike the bigger MP, will fire without the clip... no disconector.
Old November 27, 2012, 10:43 AM   #10
riggins_83

Yep the Shield will fire without the magazine (doesn't have a clip). Many of the standard M&P models don't have a magazine disconnect, not a feature they put on them all. I personally wouldn't own one if it did have a magazine disconnect, not a feature I'd ever want.
Old November 27, 2012, 11:38 AM   #11
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Be aware though, the Sheild, unlike the bigger MP, will fire without the clip... no disconector.

*Magazine*

Very nice, my friend just got one as his first CCW. It's 9mm.
Old November 27, 2012, 12:21 PM   #12
shurshot

Correct, magazine... I will get that straight before my kids put me in a nursing home, LOL! That Shield is nice, just falls right in the hand. PPK size, with 9mm or 40 power.
Old November 27, 2012, 12:23 PM   #13
Downeast

Nice review. I finally got a Shield a couple weeks ago in 9MM after looking for months. I'm very happy with it
Old November 27, 2012, 07:30 PM   #14
geodimeter

I've owned my Shield .40 for about 2 months and have shot over 500 rounds through it, cheap target loads and 180g golden sabers with no problems. I do like the short mag for pocket carry in a Galco PRO460 with the longer mag in the left rear pocket of my jeans. I may get a shoulder holster for use under a jacket.
Old November 28, 2012, 06:52 AM   #15
dean1818

I have heard of others pocket carrying the Shield

It fits but its a slow draw

IWB is your friend