The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 15, 2009, 08:02 PM   #1
asa217

Mossberg 535 Turkey/Deer, want to use it for dove next week

Hey, fairly new to the shotgun community. Been hunting since i was 11, but never learned much about guns themselves, just used my dads old remington.
I bought a mossberg 535 turkey/deer combo, and want to take it dove hunting next week.
http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...ction=products
thats the gun I bought. Do i need to buy the 28" field barrel for dove, or can I take the choke off the 22" and that would be good. Any suggestions would help
Old September 16, 2009, 12:58 AM   #2
Wait, I'm Reloadin'

use the longer barrel if it has a "improved cylinder choke" or "modified cylinder choke". if it has the full choke for turkey the pattern is too tight for dove. don't use the slug barrel if it is rifled or is just a cylinder with no choke. I have the model 500 and prefer improved cylinder for skeet and dove.

corey
Old September 16, 2009, 01:03 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Don't go without the choke tube of some sort... The Mossberg chokes are about the lowest cost available. Get the mod or imp mod for it and have fun... Buy the 28 inch if you wish but what you have will be alright just not ideal to most shooters.
Brent
Old September 16, 2009, 01:07 AM   #4
TxGun

Agree with hogdogs...don't buy a new barrel. Get a IC or MOD choke tube (recommend MOD) and go dove hunting. Do not shoot the gun without a choke tube in it...you'll ruin the internal threads. As HD said, Mossberg choke tubes are very reasonably priced.