The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 14, 2009, 01:56 PM   #1
cgbills

Rifled slug barrel and buckshot

Would shooting 00 buck shot through a rifled slug barrel cause the wadding to spin and throw the shot clear of the target? I ask because I was shooting 2 ¾ 00 buckshot through my 20in rifled slug barrel. At 25 yards there were no hits on the man sized silhouette. I closed to 20 yards, same thing. It was not until I closed to about 15-18 yards that I got one small hit on the lower part of the silhouette, a gut shot. I repeated and only one hit a little further up. I didn’t think that the spread out of a rifled slug barrel would be that bad. Did the rifling spin the shot off that far?
Old September 14, 2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Doyle

Possibly. Make it spin - yes. Open the pattern up - yes. Miss the entire target - I'd want to see more testing starting at a shorter range.
Old September 14, 2009, 03:39 PM   #3
Mossy500

ive never seen it go to that extent but ive only seen a bit smaller shot out of a slug barrel. usually it will just leave you with a doughnut shaped pattern
Old September 14, 2009, 05:22 PM   #4
therealtwitch

got to love the box O' truth

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot43.htm
Old September 14, 2009, 06:20 PM   #5
Lee Lapin

Did the rifling spin the shot off that far?

Yep. It did.

You're not exactly the first to notice that either, BTW .

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old September 15, 2009, 02:16 AM   #6
zippy13

Not only are rifled shotgun barrels intended for slugs, not shot; they are specifically designed for sabot type slugs. If you want to shot shot, or standard slugs, you're best off with a smooth bore.

The OP questioned what happens to the pattern with a rifled barrel and 00-Buck shot. Perhaps a more appropriate question would be what happens to the rifled barrel when shooting shot. Past posts have discussed removing lead from rifled sabot barrels.

Of course, in an emergency, the any port in a storm scenario applies.