The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old August 16, 2014, 09:40 AM   #1
rejected

Denied the right to own a firearm

Recently I ordered an authentic looking military style 1911 over the internet because I've wanted one for a long time. It would be the first gun I've bought but not the first one I owned, that was a .22 given to me by my Dad.

I had the gun sent to a local FFL and went to pick it up, and when they did the background check on me I was denied. I wasn't expecting this. I wrote the the FBI appeals dept. asking why I was denied and they wrote me back saying it was because of an IFFS flag maintained by the state of Minnesota, a relatively anti-gun state. They didn't give details.

This is something that happened to me 15 years ago. At that time I was arrested for a non-violent misdemeanor in Minneapolis and had to spend some time in the downtown jail. I had to use a public defender who was a very vindictive woman. This was before I understood the real role of public defenders. When I met with her it was after spending hours waiting in a cement room filled with babbling hardened criminals.

Very shaken I tried to tell her my side of the story and when she said it was not her job to listen to my side of the story I broke down crying. She immediately put a two week hold on me so I could see a shrink to determine if I was mentally fit to stand trial. The shrink determined I was. But I suspect it is because of this that I cannot buy a firearm.

I don't know what to do. I found out that if I had tried to buy a handgun before the Virginia Tech Massacre I wouldn't have had any problem; this was a law Minnesota passed because of that event. I need to write to someone in Minnesota to try and have the flag removed, but I don't know who or where to begin. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.
Old August 16, 2014, 09:53 AM   #2
jeager106

This is another sad story of abuse of the "system".
I know a lot of retired military & police that get delays because they are retired
police or military. That's crazy. One former soldier became a police officer and gets a delay everytime he wants to buy a firearm.
I'm retired police. 50% of the time I get a delay, other times I can walk out with my new purchase. Go figure????
You should consult with a Min. attorney but these "flags" don't go away easily.
Old August 16, 2014, 11:18 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

Get a lawyer and find out why. All you're going to get on here is sympathy. If you want to resolve this you're going to have to take some action beyond posting this on the internet.
Old August 16, 2014, 11:31 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

You need to talk to a lawyer. You do not need legal advice on a very specific and serious matter from a bunch of well-meaning, but anonymous, internet dwellers.

What you tell your lawyer is confidential. What you post here is not. Closed for your own protection.