The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 14, 2010, 03:43 PM   #1
iiwas

Looking for some back ground info on the sig 229

Im curious if I could get some feedback and opinions about the sig 229 chambered in .357 sig. Has anyone experienced any major issues with this pistol, mags, rounds, etc? Im looking at getting one because from what ive read that is the issued carry for the Air Marshals and im interested in applying in the future and prefer to practice and become completely comfortable with a firearm before i carry it. I've carried .38 stubbys, a springfield .45, and an M9 in the past and never minded any of them so weight and size are not that big of an issue for me and i wont be carrying this as a daily( besides i cant carry in wisconsin anyway).
any advice or opinions on this will be appreciated. Thanks.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.
Mark Twain
Old January 14, 2010, 04:30 PM   #2
sils79

I had one in .40, wish I still did, it is an awesome pistol. I wouldn't worry about learning to shoot it before applying. IF you get the job, they will make sure you know the ins and outs of your issue firearms.
Old January 14, 2010, 05:02 PM   #3
Uncle Malice

Excellent weapon. It's also the standard issue for the US Secret Service(also in 357 sig)

ICE also uses P229, but I believe in .40
Old January 14, 2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Wiese

i have a p229 with .357 sig and .40 s&w barrels. I've found the .357 sig is snappier, though not harder to control, than the .40. in my gun, the .40 is much more accurate. i can shoot the center out at 7 yards with the .40, but have to concentrate like crazy to get decent groupings with the .357 sig at the same distance.
Old February 15, 2010, 11:48 AM   #5
iiwas

Ok thanks for the word of wisdom. IF i ever find one in my area ill probably pick one up.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.
Mark Twain
Old February 15, 2010, 01:24 PM   #6
DBAR

Quote:
Ok thanks for the word of wisdom. IF i ever find one in my area ill probably pick one up.
Not a bad idea.

I've actually got some money down on one with my local dealer. He's putting in an order for a P229 SAS GEN II, night sights, SRT trigger, in 357 SIG. I could of bought or ordered any gun out there, but that set up in the SIG just has a lot going for it. It fits for what my intended use of this handgun is going to be, and it's going to give me a new round to handload with.

DBAR
Old February 15, 2010, 08:51 PM   #7
tincanhunter

I had a P229 that was manufactured fairly recently and -

1) It had the wrong sights form the factory.
2) The Tritium insert in the front sight popped out and landed on the table after ~100 rounds. Upgraded to Novak sights.
3) The nitron slide sanded through the coating on the frame rails into the aluminum after ~500 rounds. Yes! I used plenty of grease to lube the slide/frame rails! From what I've read, nitron is an abrasive.
4) The damn thing would shoot <1" groups with hand loads at 25 yds. Not a bad thing by the way.

Got PO'd about the whole experience of buying a $900 lemon, swore I would never buy another Sig and traded for a 1911. But here I sit with a German P6 that I just refinished and a P239 in 357 Sig (made somewhere around 2002) for a carry gun . I say keep your eye out for a used P229 that was manufactured a few years back (metal guide rod will be a decent indicator) and pick it up. Or wait until you're comfortable that Sig has their QC issues fixed.
Old February 17, 2010, 07:54 PM   #8
boston

The 229 in .40 is confortable to shoot and carry. Make sure to get the right holster. Safariland model 0701 is what we used for duty carry and it gives 2 levels of retention. Gives piece of mind that someone can't take it from you and it won't fall out.