The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 8, 2001, 03:21 PM   #1
Kobra

What's the best?
Old June 9, 2001, 08:16 AM   #2
hube1236
Registration in progress

Piano wire. They complain a lot less.
Old June 9, 2001, 08:19 AM   #3
bj426

maybe I'm missing something.... but any choke that has the word turkey in its name would probly be pretty good....... it's my understanding that turkey chokes are labeled as such.....

mine is an extra-full-turkey
Old June 9, 2001, 10:05 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

(Taking deep breath),OOOkay........

The marking on any choke, both fixed and changeable, indicates a mere probability. A shotguns'interior ballistics are so subject to a myriad of factors that quantum physics pales in comparison.

I could make a full choke act like an IC by changing loads, and almost vice versa.

Unfortunately, there's no way on earth that we can guarantee that choke X in bbl Y will produce Z pattern. It takes testing to find out what load, choke combination will do a particular job best.

Since we're talking about turkey hunting here,it becomes a bit easier. Set up your turkey gun with a fairly tight tube, say from Improved Modified to Extra Full. Start patterning with a turkey target, and use those 10 packs to keep the cost down. Find out which load CONSISTENTLY places lots of pellets in the head/neck area, then buy more of them. And keep your shots inside a reasonable distance. If you can call/decoy them into 30 yards(or whatever) regularly, pattern at that distance.

If NO load shows good performance, go to another tube.You WILL find a great load for YOUR shotgun with a bit of work.

A note, oft times a forcing cone job will do more good than an aftermarket custom choke. Cheaper also.
Old June 10, 2001, 03:56 PM   #5
Guyon

Whoa! My first post since the new software kicked in. I was a little freaked out.

Dave's right on the money about different results with different setups. Patterning is key. As far as turkey tarkets, you can get a pretty good one for free right off the Remington home page. Save it as a .pdf file, and just print it out every time you need a new one. Or if you have a turkey target you really like, just take it to Kinkos and xerox a few dozen copies of the sucker. Lot cheaper than buying new targets every time.

Here's the link to the Remington web section on turkey hunting. The tarket is a link to a .pdf file at the bottom of the page. You'll need Adobe Acrobat to pull it up. Good shootin'.

http://www.remington.com/turkey/turkey.htm
Old June 11, 2001, 02:11 PM   #6
Kobra

Thanks gentlemen.

A buddy recommended the Kick's Recipe choke which is an extra full ported choke. In his 870 he swears he busted a turkey at 40 yards with it but I know how the truth gets stretched at times by him so I thought I would ask around before investing in an expensive choke.

Incidentally I am using a Benelli SBE with 26" barrel.

Also I am one step ahead of you on the targets xeroxed about 50 of them at work for free awhile back.
Old June 11, 2001, 04:15 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're welcome, Kobra.

I can't vouch for your buddy's veracity. Finding the right combination is to most folks a pain in a delicate area. Lots of heavy loads shot patterning can translate into a flinch, PDQ. Some good turkey hunters do it with great results, but few get those results overnight.Most settle for goodenough.

It took a while to find a decent choke/load combo for Frankenstein,even with its lengthened cone. I did luck into one load clearly superior to the others except for one that was close, like 3 pellets worth. I wore the PAST shoulder pad and took my time.

Also, while no turkey maven, my guess is that the average gobbler dies within 30-35 yards of the muzzle. A tighter pattern and more energy per pellet.