The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2009, 05:53 PM   #1
celtgun

Define Muffin Tin

Know that "plumbers lead" comes in a Muffin shaped 5 lb ingot. Could you just pour wheelweights or alloy in sheet metal muffin pans for production runs? Be a little more practicle than 1 lb ingots.
Old October 11, 2009, 06:17 PM   #2
GP100man

yep as long as there not aluminum or teflon coated & are real metal.

some like the cast iron cornbread muffin & the ones shaped like an ear of corn.

i have angle iron welded together to form V shaped ingots , once ya learn how thick to pour em ya can almost guess the weight!
Old October 11, 2009, 06:25 PM   #3
QBall45

Muffin tin... muffin pan.

I stole the one my wife used in the kitchen. It was an old steel pan. It works just fine.
Old October 11, 2009, 06:42 PM   #4
Pahoo

When I do the smelting process, I use both Sheet Metal and Aluminum muffin pans or trays. Have used cast iron. We like them small and round. The five pound ingots are smelted as well and broken down into the smaller round ones. I also cast the very small muffin pan ingots and insert a copper loop to be used for decoy weights.

Be Safe !!!
Old October 11, 2009, 07:57 PM   #5
teeroux

I stole a cheap one out the kitchen and the cups on it were pressed in and when I tried to bang out the ingots the cups stayed with the ingots.

I use a cast iron corn cob pan now.
Old October 11, 2009, 08:00 PM   #6
snuffy

Here's a couple of the muffin pans we used while smelting range lead.

At the very bottom you just can see two teflon coated aluminum tins. The one more in the center is a 12 hole steel "tin". Both worked fine, the alum tins were a bit smaller around 2 lbs. The steel were almost 3 pounds. They don't stack as well as 1 lb. ingots.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 13, 2009, 02:38 AM   #7
sc928porsche

I found that cast iron seem to work the best.....they stick less.
Old October 13, 2009, 10:29 AM   #8
Pahoo

WOW snuffy,
Sure hope moma doesn't let you in the kitchen !! That muffin pan is the same kind I use for my larger round ingots. We like the round ones cause they fit better in the caster. I also put a small piece of candle wax in the bottom of each pocket, just once, before pouring and that seems to keep the lead from sticking. We use a propane turkey cooker burner when we smelt; what do you use? We also use an old plumbers ladle just like the one you have and it works great. By the way, my wife won't let me in the kitchen and won't say what she calls me. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old October 13, 2009, 12:27 PM   #9
snuffy

Quote:
We use a propane turkey cooker burner when we smelt; what do you use? We also use an old plumbers ladle just like the one you have and it works great. By the way, my wife won't let me in the kitchen and won't say what she calls me. ...
Yup, me too.

As far as a wife, don't have one, so I decide what gets used and when. It's gonna stay that way too. That's a rowel #3 ladle, holds about 3#. I also have a #4, it's about 4.5#, but requires 2 hands to use. Both are bottom pour.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?