The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 14, 2009, 01:30 AM   #1
GuitarXM

Remington 700 Bolt Storage

Ok I just got my new rifle.
This will sound stupid, but I want to make sure...

How do you guys properly store a bolt action rifle.
Cocked vs Uncocked...
cocked, then pull the trigger keeping the bolt down cocked
or bolt completely out of rifle?

Sorry Im a newbie.
I was thinking that it may affect the spring tension in the bolt...
Old February 14, 2009, 01:36 AM   #2
Scorch

Uncocked, bolt closed
Old February 14, 2009, 01:36 AM   #3
daywalker627

I have mine locked in the gun cabinet. It isn't loaded at all. I keep the bolt fully closed and is not cocked at all. That is basically how I keep all of my rifles bolt and lever action stored. The only ones that I have loaded and cocked are my handgun and a shotgun (loaded not cocked) that I have placed in certain area in the house in case I need to get a hold of them.

Hope that helps
Old February 14, 2009, 03:16 AM   #4
GuitarXM

Question

Now when you say bolt closed, uncocked.
That means bolt is locked in meaning pulled down so it locks and uncocked meaning that you pulled the trigger?

Basically it is the position where you shoot a round and leave the case in the chamber but in this case there is no round? Am I understanding the position correctly?

If that is correct...
I am not really sure how exactly the bolt works. haha
The only thing i know is that there is a spring inside.
But anyway, when the bolt is locked and uncocked, I noticed that if you look at the back of the bolt, the metal piece is inside the bolt, but when you unlock the bolt, the metal piece goes back to its original spot.

So basically what I am asking is, does the bolt being locked and uncocked have any bad effect on the spring?
Old February 14, 2009, 05:49 AM   #5
Regolith

Nope. Spring wear only happens while it's either releasing or receiving tension. My father has some guns that are nearing 100 years old that are stored cocked, and the springs have not failed on them yet.

Personally, I store all my bolt actions with the bolt in the gun, action closed. I don't bother de-cocking the bolt as it isn't necessary, though you can do it if you're really worried about it (just make sure the gun isn't loaded, otherwise you'll have a nice new hole in your house, and possibly your neighbors' as well).
Old February 14, 2009, 08:28 PM   #6
GuitarXM

lol

You think the 308 will go through my wall into my neighbors house?
By the way what do you mean by de-cockin the gun? you mean pulling the trigger after locking the bolt?
Old February 14, 2009, 08:50 PM   #7
Regolith

Quote:
You think the 308 will go through my wall into my neighbors house?
It's easily possible, particularly if both of your houses are regular wood construction and have wood or vinyl sidings. Brick or concrete construction may mitigate the risk, but it's still there.

.308 Winchester has a LOT of energy. I've seen it punch holes in 1/4" metal plates using standard 150 grain lead and copper hunting rounds. Don't underestimate it.

Quote:
By the way what do you mean by de-cockin the gun? you mean pulling the trigger after locking the bolt?
Yes. Unless your gun has an external hammer or a Mosin-Nagant style safety, pulling the trigger is pretty much the only way to de-cock the gun and release the spring that drives the firing pin. This is the case with the Remington 700. Many pistols have de-cocking levers, but I've never seen one in a rifle.
Old February 15, 2009, 06:59 AM   #8
thallub

My rifles are stored with the bolts in place and un-cocked. It is easy to de-cock a Remington 700 without snapping:

1. Make sure the magazine and chamber are empty.
2. Put the safety in the fire position.
3. Pull the trigger while closing the bolt.
Old February 15, 2009, 10:52 PM   #9
daywalker627

The one method that I use when decocking my bolt action, I have remington model 700 chambered in 270, is this. When you move the bolt handle up and then slide the bolt back, which lets you see inside the gun, I then, pull the trigger and hold it. While I am holding the trigger back with one hand, I fully close the bolt and rotate the handle down. Then at the point I release the trigger. This allows you to de-cock it without dry firing the rifle. You can look on the back of the bolt and you will notice that the pin will not beprotruding out. It is in this position that I store my bolt action. Make sure there are no rounds in the rifle or at least in the chamber when trying this. I never have my rifles loaded when stored in my gun cabinet. I only have the ones for home defense and they are in a different location. Hope this helps.
Old February 15, 2009, 10:54 PM   #10
daywalker627

Sorry, thallub. After I had posted what I posted, I reread your post and noticed you and I had just said the same thing.

I agree with thallub. LOL. He beat me to the post. +1
Old February 17, 2009, 12:05 AM   #11
GuitarXM

-

thanks guys.