The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 18, 2023, 04:25 PM   #1
fisherman66

Converting 5.6x35R to 22 Hornet (5.6x36R in metric)

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/997024763

I sure would love to convert this old beauty into something usable. I can only find info on the parent cartridge (22wcf). I can’t locate dies or brass in the child cartridge. I understand there’s a couple thousandths difference in bullet diameter between the Hornet and the 5.6x35r. Also the rim on the hornet is slightly thicker and that’s likely to affect extraction possibly to the point of failure. Is this fine rifle destined to obsolescence?

Old September 18, 2023, 07:01 PM   #2
fisherman66

Any thoughts on drilling out the bore and installing a liner? I’m afraid there’s likely not enough meat on the barrel and extraction is still a problem.
Old September 18, 2023, 08:32 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

A quick look in an old Cartridges of the World says the bore size is .222"

Case dimensions listed show the 5.6x35R Vierling slightly smaller than the Hornet case in several spots. I am not certain the dimension data in Cartridges of the World is correct for this round. The book is pretty good in general, but contains some errors, and the authors opinions are often presented as fact.

I would think long and hard about having the barrel bored and lined. A current market of $3000 for a well preserved example of interwar German craftsmanship will go where if you have it bored and relined??? Would that matter to you???

The gun appears to be in excellent shape, though the wood shows some signs of deterioration and possibly a small amount of damage.

Personally, I would look into re-creating ammo for it before altering the rifle in a permanent way.

You might consider contacting RWS and any other old European ammo makers and see if they still have any, or know who might. The ammo is probably in the collector realm, but if you could get even a few rounds, it would give you something to measure for reference.

According to my 1972 book, RWS still listed two loads in its catalog. Contact them and see if they still make it, or have any old stock on hand still for sale.

Good luck.
Old September 18, 2023, 08:47 PM   #4
fisherman66

Quote:
I would think long and hard about having the barrel bored and lined. A current market of $3000 for a well preserved example of interwar German craftsmanship will go where if you have it bored and relined??? Would that matter to you???
A well executed conversion might devalue it to a collector some, but not to me. While only academic at the moment, my plan is to offer less than the ask price to the seller. I believe the market value is less based on a similar purchase last month in an obtainable cartridge (7x57R).