The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 29, 2013, 12:10 PM   #1
Method

Storage / Safety / Accessability Questions

I've done a search of the Skunkworks and Semi-Auto forums and haven't seen a comprehensive question matching mine, so hopefully this is an appropriate question in the appropriate forum.

I recently (i.e. last night) purchased a sporting rifle (a.k.a. the infamous AR-15). It's been something I have wanted for a very long time, something I finally saved up the money for, and somethere where I finally found the type that I wanted.

Right now it's in a locked plastic case I had as a spare. I was looking at soft cases, but I can't find many that are lockable. I'm looking to prevent undesired access by a child (since I plan to have kids). Thus I realize a soft case can be cut through. If somebody has access to my case in my home, cutting through will be the least of my worries.

Anyway, does anybody maintain their rifles or other weapons in soft cases...and if so how do you maintain any sort of safety with children? I assume that trigger lock is the next option, but is it adequate in your opinion? Same thing for a couple pistols. I have them in hard cases which are locked. I realy like soft cases, but if it's a choice between appearance, ease of use, and security...safety of my family must be the priority.

Summary: I'm looking for good storage and safety recommendations from more experienced users. I perfer soft cases so that I can more easily pick up and go to the range. A gun safe is not an option in my current home. Brands, types, and any other recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Old May 29, 2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Evan Thomas

In general, it's not the best idea to store guns in soft cases -- they can suck up moisture from the air and cause rust problems. Hard cases are better for this, but not ideal. Trigger locks are OK, although they're a pain to use, as far as I'm concerned. If you can't have a safe, an inexpensive lockable steel cabinet (Stack-On is the usual brand) is a lot better than nothing, and will fit at the back of a closet.
Old May 29, 2013, 05:48 PM   #3
ClydeFrog

storage....

I agree with the staff posted remarks.
For general storage, Id get a Bore-Store bag. Its a thick fabric and breathes to protect the weapon. Id add that a FAA/TSA approved gun case or a discreet nylon could work.
Here are a few sources; www.Galls.com www.policehq.com www.cheaperthandirt.com www.Cabelas.com www.midwayusa.com www.natchezss.com www.brownells.com
5.11 Tactical & Blackhawk.com sell AR cases too. They are discreet & lo-po.

ClydeFrog