The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 13, 2014, 04:00 PM   #51
Ambishot

Welcome to the forum, ryanjblajda!

Concealed carry is a personal choice, and while you'll get a lot of great information from this forum, ultimately what you decide on carrying and how you carry is up to you. The models that you've listed are all pretty popular choices for carry and it wouldn't surprise me if you end up purchasing a few models to suit your wardrobe.

You might check out this article on carrying options. It gives a good starter's guide to concealed carry.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/0...ncealed-carry/

Best,

Ambishot
Old February 13, 2014, 05:42 PM   #52
dayman

Blawkhawk makes some shorts that are pretty awesome for cc and don't look overly "tactical". They might be worth looking at.
I wear them and a normal t shirt and have no trouble concealing a glock 19. It prints a bit if I bend over, but a button-down fixes that.
There's no need to go full blown "old guy with a gun" in the wardrobe department.

As far as guns go, there are a ton of great options. Try as many as you can before you buy.

As far as holsters go I like the hybrid iwb models. They might look stupid on the outside, but once you get them in where they belong they're insanely comfortable.

But you'll come to your own conclusions. That's why most of us have a safe full of guns and a drawer full of holsters.
Old February 13, 2014, 08:21 PM   #53
ryanjblajda

lol sounds good. i want to go shooting again but all my friends and i dont have the extra money to spend on ammo and range time. so ill have to wait till next month to go again.
Old February 14, 2014, 04:49 PM   #54
TailGator

The thing about underwear holsters is, you have to either do the laundry every night, buy enough copies to get you through to laundry day, or wear dirty underwear all the time. Leather or kydex might serve you better.
Old February 15, 2014, 01:47 AM   #55
DannyB1954

I have a Glock 27 gen 4. Fine gun, but I would really like to have the Ruger SR40c. I have a Ruger SR9C that is my EDC. The grip is thinner than the Glock, and fits my hand better.
The SR40C will probably be my next gun. My neighbor has indicated that he would like to buy my G27, so maybe I will sell. It's not that I don't like the Glock, I just think I like the Ruger better.
Old February 15, 2014, 04:14 AM   #56
ryanjblajda

yeah i shot a ruger and for the caliber im looking at the trigger pull sucked.
Old February 15, 2014, 05:55 AM   #57
fisherman66

Those are two very different gun designs on the Ruger. On the LCseries the long pull is the safety. The SR has an external safety. I prefer a long pull in this case. No key lock on eithr as someone earlier misinformed.

Good luck in your search. Welcome to the forum.
Old February 15, 2014, 11:41 AM   #58
DannyB1954

Quote:
yeah i shot a ruger and for the caliber im looking at the trigger pull sucked
The Ruger SR series are striker fired and have a trigger similar to a 1911.
Old February 16, 2014, 08:17 AM   #59
ryanjblajda

yeah i noticed that. the trigger pull was just sooo long compared to my friends .40 SDVE
Old February 17, 2014, 02:11 PM   #60
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB1954
The Ruger SR series are striker fired and have a trigger similar to a 1911.
The trigger pull on a Ruger SR (or any other striker-fired pistol) is not like a 1911 at all.
Old February 17, 2014, 02:13 PM   #61
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjblajda
yeah i noticed that. the trigger pull was just sooo long compared to my friends .40 SDVE
The trigger pull on a Ruger SR is lighter and shorter than an SDVE. The SDVE is known for having a pretty bad trigger (unless your friend upgraded his trigger). I'm guessing the Ruger you tried was an LC9, the single-stack subcompact. They have a very long trigger pull and an equally long reset.
Old February 18, 2014, 08:28 AM   #62
ryanjblajda

yeah i shot the lc380. while i liked the physical size of the gun and the recoil (or lack thereof) the trigger pull was awful. so im pretty much decided on getting the glock. i just want to find a range that has one i can shoot before i buy it.
Old February 25, 2014, 10:20 PM   #63
DannyB1954

Quote:
The trigger pull on a Ruger SR (or any other striker-fired pistol) is not like a 1911 at all
If you say so. I used to carry a 1911 as a service weapon years ago when I was in the Navy. When in port, I was the guy with the gun at the top of the ship's ladder. The job title was Petty Officer of the Watch, if you want to web search it. Yes it was a real government issue 1911, not a high dollar custom job.
Today I have a SR9 and SR9C. The pull is light, (Gunblast rated its SR9c with a trigger pull of 5.2 lb . The trigger travel is 0.31 in, If the SR didn't have a thumb safety, (similar to a 1911), I would not use it as a EDC. But it does, so I do. Blind folded I don't think I could tell the difference between the two. My finger don't know what makes the cap detonate, and my finger really don't care.

But you win, your opinion has a higher value than mine. As you have implied, I don't know what I am talking about.

Last edited by DannyB1954; February 25, 2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old February 26, 2014, 12:16 AM   #64
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB1954
But you win, your opinion has a higher value than mine. As you have implied, I don't know what I am talking about.
There's no need to be dramatic about it. What you said was factually incorrect. Period.

A 1911 is a single-action design where the hammer is fully cocked. The SR is a partially-cocked striker-fired design. And therefore their triggers have a distinctly different feel, especially in the take-up and in the reset. Try one trigger vs. the other back-to-back and you'll see the difference.
Old February 26, 2014, 12:06 PM   #65
power5

Bodyguard is the top of my CCW list as well.
Old February 26, 2014, 12:27 PM   #66
Ruger45LC

Can't go wrong with a Glock. Depending on your main use of the gun, I'd consider either a G27 or G23 (if you want to stay with the .40, if 9mm the G26 or G19). The G27 will carry a little bit easier, and if you're going to be carrying it constantly might make more sense. The G23 is, I think, a better all around size. It's small enough to carry easily but big enough to fight with. It comes with an accessory rail and would make a better home defense option than the 27, so the 23 can fill both roles (carry and home defense). Try both and see which fits you better, that's the main thing.

I've had almost every model Glock and my overall favorite is the G23. Although I really like the subcompacts like the 27/26, they're not small enough to pocket carry so they have to go on the belt, and if I'm having to wear a belt, I'd rather have the slightly bigger G23, it carries almost as easily and holds more ammo.
Old February 27, 2014, 06:00 AM   #67
SigSauerKraut

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the forum. I'm fairly new myself and haven't been on in a while. As you've already seen, you can obtain a wealth of information here, as I have. Thanks to everyone who has weighed in - great thread!

From Orlando, you'd be traveling a good 100 miles, but you might want to check out Gainesville Target Range for your CCW class: http://www.gainesvilletargetrange.com/concealed-carry

These folks are REAL pros and, in my opinion, the quality of instruction is superb. They offer Saturday classes which run eight full hours plus an hour for lunch. They're not cheap either. But after spending a day with them, not only will you be legal for applying for your permit, but you'll be comfortable with your firearm. You can bring your own gun or rent one of theirs. You'll go through a hundred rounds of ammo. I don't know anything about facilities/classes in Orlando - there are probably some good ones. But the folks in Gainesville are awesome.

FWIW: I purchased a Sig P938 for my carry weapon. I love it.
Old March 9, 2014, 06:50 PM   #68
ryanjblajda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigSauerKraut
Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the forum. I'm fairly new myself and haven't been on in a while. As you've already seen, you can obtain a wealth of information here, as I have. Thanks to everyone who has weighed in - great thread!

From Orlando, you'd be traveling a good 100 miles, but you might want to check out Gainesville Target Range for your CCW class: http://www.gainesvilletargetrange.com/concealed-carry

These folks are REAL pros and, in my opinion, the quality of instruction is superb. They offer Saturday classes which run eight full hours plus an hour for lunch. They're not cheap either. But after spending a day with them, not only will you be legal for applying for your permit, but you'll be comfortable with your firearm. You can bring your own gun or rent one of theirs. You'll go through a hundred rounds of ammo. I don't know anything about facilities/classes in Orlando - there are probably some good ones. But the folks in Gainesville are awesome.

FWIW: I purchased a Sig P938 for my carry weapon. I love it.
thanks for the advice! i will definitely take a look at their classes. I might ask them what places they would recommend in orlando if they know of any the like. 100 miles is a bit far, but if its the only good one around then ill make a weekend out of it or something.