The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old June 19, 2007, 06:23 PM   #1
Doug.38PR

Civilian Riot control gun?

deleted

Last edited by Doug.38PR; June 20, 2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old June 19, 2007, 06:47 PM   #2
AK103K

I agree the .22 would and does work well for riot control, I'd just use it in a more "selective" way.
Old June 19, 2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Trip20

Yeah, that's a great idea, Rambo.

"Crowd Control" via randomly mowing people down with a gatling gun isn't a viable tactic, nor is it part of any relevant training program. But it is the sort of silly BS that helps embarrass this community. :barf:
Old June 19, 2007, 07:02 PM   #4
Doug.38PR

deleted

Old June 19, 2007, 07:13 PM   #5
stephen426

Oh Boy... Another Doug.38PR thread... :barf:

Lets drive around and mow down rioters. That makes great legal sense. In a riot, leave town if you are able to do so safely and fortify the house if not. If people go through your door, then you can blast them.

Can't you enjoy a gun just for the sake of it or are you really so hell bent on shooting someone?

Besides, your little .22 is useless compared to this gun from Metal Storm.
Old June 19, 2007, 07:22 PM   #6
Doug.38PR

deleted

Old June 20, 2007, 12:01 AM   #7
jfrey123

A better place for it would be mounted on it's own turret 15 feet away from your front door. That way, as these so called rioters made their way in your front door, you would be able to mow them down with thousands of mosquito bites...

There, now instead of being a reckless truck mounted murder machine, it is a viable home defense weapon for SHTF...
Old June 20, 2007, 12:17 AM   #8
Desert01

SERIOUSLY can we delete this thread? This isn't even funny.
Old June 20, 2007, 12:34 AM   #9
Wildalaska

It really IS getting sort of tiresome Dougey...... Shouldnt threads like this be confined to a video game board?

:barf:

WildindeedAlaska
Old June 20, 2007, 05:33 AM   #10
newerguy

Any situation justifying mowing downs rows of anyone also justifies buring your house down instead, to deprive them of the comforts and relief afforded by a house and stocked refrigerator. I'd also salt the lawn on my way out if I were you.

Your idea is more than impractical, it's so far from the range of rational and generally acceptable thinking that it would, in my mind, call into question your intent, where you ever involved in a shooting.

I'm currious whether you would actually consider buying such a thing for your stated purpose. I mean if you had an extra 500 bucks, and you saw one at the gun show, would you buy it, so that you had it just in case there was a riot?
Old June 20, 2007, 06:27 AM   #11
Slugthrower

While we are being absolutely silly. How about this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBbjt3OZydg
Old June 20, 2007, 09:41 AM   #12
Tanzer

The problem with riots is that the good and the bad get mixed together. Up this way, when the Red Sox finally won a world series, police used rubber bullets to disperse an unruly crowd. One struck a college girl in the eye, killing her (please don't anyone say she should have known not to be there). Fenway Park is a crowded h*llhole on any game night. The innocents had nowhere to go but through the mayhem. Bullets don't think, and neither did the CC officers in my opinion.
Now if civil unrest broke out, and a "rape gang" was coming down my street kicking in doors, well....away we go, but if I even had that in my mind, I'd keep it to myself. Only my wife would know it existed. BTW, not too hard to figure out the mechanics of it.
Old June 20, 2007, 09:51 AM   #13
Doug.38PR

deleted

Old June 20, 2007, 11:42 AM   #14
threegun

Doug, The best way to eliminate a bunch of riot threats is to hit them with a single round. This will persuade the others to leave you alone and no inncocents die. If they all bum rush your position 50 rounds of 22lr flying all over the place is not even close in effectivness to controlled rapid fire from an AR-15.

Really you are in la la land with this thread. The purpose for full auto fire is to saturate and area and keep heads down so that you may move troops to flank. It is very wasteful of ammo (hit ratio is low).

For me the most effective riot weapon is my AR-15. My accurized rifle can make easy hits on 10 inch steel from 100 to 300 yards almost as fast as I can pull the trigger. My other AR can mow down bowling pins with insane (pardon the pun) speed. I know its not cool looking but I don't worry about looks just effectivness.

Vehicle mounts???????why just shoot offhand. This will allow you to stay lower and enjoy more mobility.

Think about what you are saying and you will see how silly it is. Use the tactics you have learned and apply them to this scenario. No need for gimicks.
Old June 20, 2007, 12:00 PM   #15
gfen

Quote:
Anyway, the rest of you, if the gun was bolted to a car or house it would be helpful against a mob of rioters hellbent on beating people and looting houses.
Good God, where do you live and why haven't we walled it off into a prison yet?

gfen, Duke of New York; A#1.
Old June 20, 2007, 12:04 PM   #16
OuTcAsT

PLEASE do not continue to feed the troll !

sounds like someone is off their Lithium again, Moderators Please.....

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old June 20, 2007, 01:43 PM   #17
Doug.38PR

Okay since everyone is so bent out of shape over this I will delete this thread myself. Didn't want this to turn into a flame throwing thread
Old June 20, 2007, 01:44 PM   #18
WIN71

He's not a troll. Trolls usually know what they are talking about........
Old June 20, 2007, 03:17 PM   #19
threegun

Doug may be in la la land with his scenarios but he isn't a troll. Please save the big word for the real thing.

What if Doug really believes that the gun shown is appropriate?
What if he thinks a riot is comming in his area?

I have a riot preparation plan myself. Not far fetched since I've been alive for at least 2 local riots, one here in Tampa and one in St. Pete. The Tampa riot was less than one block from my grandfathers printing business and I was prepared to eliminate anyone who threatened us. It made me think outside the box. It made me prepare for anything. You guys can laugh but really it would be like someone laughing at you for being prepared for a gunfight that will probably never happen. I have family that think I'm nuts for carrying a CW. Dougs scenario was crazy but if he wants real riot weapons and tactics info we should help him...........if it has happened here it can happen anywhere.
Old June 20, 2007, 03:24 PM   #20
markj

Oooo a riot, like Kent State? I remember that one.

For riots I unload my spud gun knocks em down right away and you can use the frags for making fries a win win IMHO

What you afeard of doug? Riots? I say you need a job that uses your brain up a bit more
Old June 20, 2007, 03:41 PM   #21
threegun

Quote:
Oooo a riot, like Kent State? I remember that one
No like the Rodney King riot or the Tyrone Lewis in St Pete (1996)or the one I was craping my pants over in Tampa. The kind that the rioters toss molotov cocktails and bricks and shoot at you. Something as simple as a cop shooting a man who had attemped to run him over (Tyrone Lewis). Or an officer using a choke hold to control an out of control suspect who latter died in a jail cell (Tampa riots) can trigger a riot.

http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-riots

A list of riots........they are a possibility.
Old June 20, 2007, 04:01 PM   #22
Doug.38PR

Thank you threegun, but let's put this one to rest or leave the moderator to do so. You're not going to convince any of these guys anyway. That's why I deleted everything. I thought a discussion of possible uses for said weapon would make for interesting conversation. For me, it's frankly not interesting enough to go into this flame war.
Old June 20, 2007, 04:42 PM   #23
Trip20

Quote:
A list of riots........they are a possibility.
threegun, lets get one thing straight. The issue some have taken with this ridiculous thread has nothing to do with the probabilities of rioting, and/or whether one should have a plan in place to cope with such a situation. Discussions involving what to do in situations of civil unrest have some merit when done maturely.

The post he now deleted did in fact support mowing people down with a gatling gun, as part of "riot control,” including mounting such a contraption to a vehicle.

Thankfully, anyone reading this thread is able to see to some extent that rational people in this community do not feel such a discussion is prudent to realistic riot preparedness.

This kind of topic is irresponsible. In fact it shows little respect for this community as it means little/no thought was given as to how such a topic will characterize us to guests, lurkers, or those fence-sitters dipping their toe in our pool. This is the kind of stuff that ensures they won’t swim, and I can’t blame them.
Old June 20, 2007, 04:58 PM   #24
threegun

Doug, I'm not trying to convince them that your post wasn't retarded....it was. I agree with trip. That said I work selling guns. Folks ask crazy questions. Questions so silly that I could make them look dumb (and I ain't a rocket scientist) with ease. Problem is they are genuine sometimes. Believe it or not I have had a guy ask about the akins accelerator (a now banned stock that would make a 10-22 shoot full auto). He wanted it for fun and riot control to "lay down alot of lead fast". He was serious. I guess I am more tolerant of crazy questions because of this. I PMed you my expierience during the Tampa Riot......what I learned etc just in case you were serious.
Old June 20, 2007, 05:09 PM   #25
Doug.38PR

Quote:
This kind of topic is irresponsible. In fact it shows little respect for this community as it means little/no thought was given as to how such a topic will characterize us to guests, lurkers, or those fence-sitters dipping their toe in our pool. This is the kind of stuff that ensures they won’t swim, and I can’t blame them
ow, pee on that:barf: That's a load of bunk!

Slag your "community" (clique). This board is not a little clubhouse for you and your know-it-all buddies. The moderators will decide who posts what in here not you.

I asked the question out of curiosity and interest because full auto, or gatlin guns have been used for 100 years to the effect of stopping a mass of hostile people (I.E. WW1 trench warfare).
I never said let's go around and mow anybody and his brother down like some pychopath.
If I am wrong in any tactic I inquire about then let's talk about it, but spare us this BS about "embarrassing the community of firearms"

Funny how people like you are the ones who don't want this thread yet seem to want to keep it alive even after I try to delete what i can of it and put it to rest. You and the likes of you me thinks are just looking for trouble.
Closed Thread