The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 16, 2000, 01:23 AM   #1
maxinquaye

Hello everyone, first post here in the shotgun forum, I was hoping someone could help me with a quick price check.
Saw a used range gun for sale today, but I was in a hurry, so I threw down 20 bucks for the guy to hold it for me until tomorrow. He wrote on the reciept "Winchester 1700".
I did a quick web search, and filed to turn up a 1700.
I think he is talking about the 1300. Anyway, it is a short barreled shotgun (18"), has a pistol grip, sling swivels and an 8 round magazine (extends the length of the barrel.) There is a perforated heat guard above the barrel. Asking price is $129. Seemed like a deal, so I said I'd take it (Contingent on a test fire).

Is this a decent price? The action was smooth when I worked it. The gun is definitely worn cosmetically, but this would be strictly a home defense / fun on the range gun.

Additionally, I am not yet sold on the idea that shooting from the hip with a pistol grip is a good idea, especially for home defense. I have not fired the gun yet, will do so tomorrow, but is this a "useable" weapon for HD? If not, I will probably pick it up just for kicks (If you guys do confirm it is worth the money).

Sorry to be long winded

------------------
"Freedom is that instant between when someone tells you to do something and when you decide how to respond."
-Dr. Jeffrey Borenstein

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
-Martin Luther King Jr.
Old August 16, 2000, 04:27 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Due to departmental qualification and standards, I fired hundreds of rounds with a PG shotgun from the hip. Most officers had more trouble qualifying shooting that way, some never did. And,as an instructor, I had to qualify at 90% or better,and give demos.

Given all that, in a HD scenario,I'll be shooting from the shoulder and using the sights.

While I regard the Winchesters post Model 12 as not as well made as the Remington 870s, that one should be worth the money asked for it, once you trash that PG and put a stock on it.

Old August 16, 2000, 11:43 AM   #3
maxinquaye

Well, I finally found a picture of it...it's a Winchester 1300 8 round Defender. Retails for $319. Does anyone own this gun? Comments?
Old August 16, 2000, 01:14 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Did have a student who showed up with one with dual PGs. Had a real stock on it for the second lesson.Too many action movies, not enough training.

The 1300 did function fine, no FTFs, no glitches. For the money,including extra for a real stock, seems like a good deal.