The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 26, 2011, 01:00 AM   #1
mssurrey

Thumb break or not for OWB holster?

Do you think i should get a holster with a thumb break for an OWB / belt holster that i intend to use for both CC and OC ?
Old October 26, 2011, 05:09 AM   #2
oldandslow

ms, 10/26/11

I prefer no safety strap for my carry pistols in either IWB or OWB, but I always carry concealed. If I had to open carry I would opt for a safety strap to slow down any unexpected gun grabbing by a stranger.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old October 26, 2011, 05:55 AM   #3
quepasakimosabe

its an OWB holster so in all POSSIBLE not necessarily likely scenarios the is a slightly increased chance of loosing contro of your firearm...that being considered from my view id get a thumb break and train with it. every second counts.

maybe consider some firearm retention techniques as well concerning open carry.
To sum it up: Somewhere there is a TRUE BELIEVER training, he will not stop in his mission, he knows only the cause. What have you done today? For your brothers at arms, friends, family, your country, yourself?
Old October 26, 2011, 07:46 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Orginally, all of my OWB holsters have thumb breaks as I like the extra safety they provide. With that, I am seriously thinking about going with an open holster for my 1911. After several years of CCW, I'm moving away thumb straps and don't place the value on them that I once did.

If I carried openly however, I'd still want the extra security of a thumb break.
Old October 28, 2011, 06:01 PM   #5
Nathan

IMO, good fitting holsters don't need thumb breaks. Good fitting holsters can be lightly shook upside down without dropping the gun. If you OC and are not maintaining a clear space around your holstered weapon, shame on you.
Old October 28, 2011, 10:15 PM   #6
Straightshooter629

ALL of my holsters for ALL of my carry weapons have thumb breaks...need I say more?
Old October 28, 2011, 11:23 PM   #7
BillCA

With due respect to Nathan and Kreyzhorse, I usually prefer a holster with a retention strap, concealed or not. If the owner practices sufficiently it's second nature to thumb off the strap and draw the weapon. Additionally, when carried concealed, if the owner stays aware of his surroundings and sees potential trouble brewing, an elbow can unobtrusively pop the snap loose through the cover garment for faster access if desired.

Reasons I prefer a strap....
- Better retains the gun during a "wrasslin" match on the ground.
- Worry free retention whilst mounting or descending stairs at a run.
- No embarrassing *clatter* if you trip and fall or you're pushed to the ground.
- Retention in vehicle in case of an accident. (see below)
- Much better for short-barreled guns that can "creep' out of other holsters and fall.

Some years ago, a fellow shooter was rear-ended hard at a traffic light. The front seatback failed and he found himself laying down. When he exited the car to check the other driver he found his 2" .38 missing. Since the other car's occupants looked unharmed, he looked in his car for his gun. Only when he pushed the seatback upright did he find it. The impact apparently dislodged the .38 and the car's forward motion caused it to fall into the rear footwell, landing under the seatback.
Old October 30, 2011, 07:00 AM   #8
StuntManMike

Now lets put a little twist on this.

How about thumbbreak vs retention holster? Any thoughts or preferences?
Old October 30, 2011, 01:17 PM   #9
twhidd

I recently started carrying my Colt Commander in a Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster. I would not have purchased it except for the fact that I found it on clearance at Academy Sports for $15, and that included the belt attachment also. I couldn't turn it down at that price. I practice drawing from the holster from both concealed and open carry as I go both ways. I tend to like the extra security that it affords and I've been well pleased.
Old October 30, 2011, 09:30 PM   #10
BillCA

Quote:
Now lets put a little twist on this.

How about thumbbreak vs retention holster? Any thoughts or preferences?
For CCW, the thumbreak should be sufficient (i.e. Level I). Adding retention devices for Level II or Level III and beyond is up to the discretion of the wearer. I'd say if you frequently use open-carry in crowded public spaces, at least a level II should be considered unless you make Schwarznegger and Jesse Ventura look like wimps. Remember, the more secure your holster is, the more "lead time" you need (situational awareness) in order to make a fast draw.

There are other 'retention' devices out there like tension screws and kydex/plastic holsters that 'lock' the gun in place. For most of these, if you test them, they will not even pass Level I retention standards.
Old October 30, 2011, 09:33 PM   #11
BillCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhidd
I recently started carrying my Colt Commander in a Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster.
As long as you understand and accept the minor design flaw in the Serpa, it's a decent holster. It's been demonstrated that the release mechanism can be jammed closed by the introduction of foreign objects -- leaves, twigs, a small screw, etc.
Old October 30, 2011, 10:10 PM   #12
twhidd

Quote:
As long as you understand and accept the minor design flaw in the Serpa, it's a decent holster. It's been demonstrated that the release mechanism can be jammed closed by the introduction of foreign objects -- leaves, twigs, a small screw, etc.
Why didn't I know that was coming? Ive heard the horror stories. Suffice it to say, I'm not going to be crawling around in the deserts of Afganistan. So I think I'm good to go.
Old October 30, 2011, 10:56 PM   #13
riggins_83

For a concealment holster I cannot stand the thumb break. Adds a lot more bulk, can slow the draw. If the holster fits well you really don't need that extra retention for day to day use.
Old October 31, 2011, 01:44 AM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

I prefer thumb breaks because I'm used to them.