The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 25, 2010, 01:23 PM   #1
mrappe

Lead ingots with Willard name on them

I got 200lbs of lead mostly in the form of round joined ingots that have the name Willard in them. The guy that I got them from said that they were going to be used for sailboat balast at one time but the man that had them never buit the boat. The lead appears to have been possabibly in water for some time. It had a lot of white crusty stuff on it. The lead seems fairly soft. I looked up Willard and found that they have been around for dome time making all kinds of batteries. Has anyone else heard of this stuff? Also how to you post a picture from your PC into your thread?
Old September 25, 2010, 01:51 PM   #2
crgator

To answer your last question, I think you've got to use a photo-hosting site like http://photobucket.com/ to attach your pics. I've just gotten in BP, so haven't really looked that much yet into sources of lead, and I haven't heard of Willard.
Old September 25, 2010, 02:28 PM   #3
Pahoo

By my measure, it's likely that your lead is pure or pure enough for M/L's. Have never heard of Willard. You can buy a hardess tester for lead but not worth the expense. Initially I use the scratch test with my thumbnail. I may also use my auto center punch and measure the indent. You can also take and equal sample of a known lead and your Willard together and put them in a pan on a burner. The pure lead should melt first if the Willard, is an alloy. You have to watch them closely and you may have to repeat this test just a few times.

Personally, I would give the benefit of the doubt to the Willard, being pure enough for M/L's.

Be Safe !!!
Old September 25, 2010, 05:31 PM   #4
mrappe

It seems that I can scratch it with my thumbnail. This is a picture off them.

Old September 25, 2010, 05:38 PM   #5
Pahoo

Don't worry about that white coating as it is normal oxidation and will go away after your smelting process. All the junk will float to the surface. These have been around for some time. You stated that yours are round and do you have any idea what each ingot weighs. These look very simular to the lead I got from and old plumbing supply house. Have to ask if these are round as you have mentioned? ...

Be Safe !!!!
Old September 25, 2010, 08:13 PM   #6
mrappe

I just cast a few balls from them. I took one of the balls and put it against a Hornaday lead ball that I usually shoot and crushed them together in a bench vice. The Hornaday ball was a little softer so I tried putting one of each in the cylinder with the on pistol lever. I got the cast one in but it took a little more effort. This brings up the next question.. When is a ball too hard?