The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2001, 11:51 PM   #1
handgun357

Lead semi-wad cutter 158gr or
Jacketed hex hollow point 125gr?
My 38sp reloads have always been 158 gr LSWC, but I bought some JHHP 125gr to lessen the sight fouling on my ported revolvers. I notice alot less recoil and better accuracy.
What's the deal. I know there are alot of physics brains in this forum with knowlege to share. Will someone clue me in?
Thanks...........
Old February 10, 2001, 10:22 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

You didn't mention powders and weights, but if I wuz guessin', I'd bet you might have gone up a bit on the charge? At any rate, the harder jacket of the HP probably raised the pressure a bit, making the powder burn a bit hotter and thus cleaner.

FWIW, Art
Old February 10, 2001, 11:03 AM   #3
handgun357

Art,

4.3 grains of Winchester 231 in both loads.
4.3 fell in the spectrum of both loads, so I did not change.
Old February 10, 2001, 03:47 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

For the recoil part - at 4.3 gr of 231, you are using an underpowered load for the 125 JHP. I would wager you are getting about the same or even less velocity than with the 158 gr lead bullet. Less weight at the same or lower velocity = less recoil. As for the accuracy, the lower recoil probably has something to do with it but your gun might just like that combo. Too many factors go into determining accuracy, it would just be a guess to tell you why it is better.
Old February 10, 2001, 08:06 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Okay, what causes sight-fouling besides the powder? Is there some lead-dust or a smidgen of grease coming out with the powder smoke? I don't have any ported critter; hadn't thought of this.

About 30-35 years back, I loaded with Unique and 2400, a good bit in .357 & .44 Maggies. Grunge city! A lot of the newer stuff is definitely better.

A year or so back, there was some commentary here about what powders burn the cleanest. You might start a new thread and ask; might be some new info.

FWIW, Art
Old February 11, 2001, 11:40 AM   #6
Hutch

It may be the lube on the lead bullets. Just notice, as you're shooting next time, just how much less "smoke" the jacketed stuff seems to produce. Alox/beeswax produces mucho smoke. Kinda smells sweetish, too. Particularly at an indoor range.