The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 9, 2013, 11:52 AM   #1
loademwell

Wads for shotgun reloading?

Trying to use up some excess components that I have laying around the house and keep running into prob.

12S0 Wads: Can You use these with 1 1/8 oz lead at all? How important is a wad and its size? I know not to use 20 gauge wads in 12 gauge but are they that important? What is bad to do in these?

Hulls: Are these all the same? I understand the dif. in 2 3/4 and 3in. I know that's a change... But does it matter if its a high brass or low?

Primers: Do these really matter? As long as its a 209 they are fine to shoot right?
Old December 9, 2013, 02:13 PM   #2
papershotshells

loadem,

I'm not sure about using the 12S0 wad for 1 1/8oz, but I can answer your other questions (FWIW I've been reloading shotgun shells for over 15 years).

Wads are not wads, each is different and creates different pressures with a given amount of powder and shot. While there are certain wads that can be substituted for a certain wad, these are known as clone wads and are manufactured to be exactly like the name brand wad (an example is that Claybuster makes a "clone" wad of the WAA12 that can be used in recipes that call for the Winchester WAA12 wad, etc). Substituting a wad for a different type of wad can be dangerous.

Hulls are not all the same, even for the same length such as 2 3/4". Each type (Winchester AA, Remington STS, Federal Gold Medal, etc) has a different internal construction and volume. Using data for one hull type in a different hull type will result in different pressures and may be (probably will be) dangerous.

And finally, yes primers DO matter. A 209 is not a 209, again, different brands will generate different pressures. SOME primer substitutions are ok (such as a Nobel Sport 209 for a Winchester 209), but some 209 such as a Federal 209a WILL increase pressures because they burn hotter.

Shotgun shells are different to reload than rifle or pistol rounds. They operate at much lower pressures and changing ANY component can and will alter the pressure of the load, sometimes DANGEROUSLY.

Standard advice for shotgun loading is to follow a published recipe to the letter as far as primer, powder, wad, hull and shot weight. Again, SOME substitutions of primer and clone wads are safe, but by and large it's a good idea to follow a published recipe.

Shotgun shell reloading is a fun hobby, but it is different from a component stand point than metallic reloading.

Papershotshells
Old December 9, 2013, 06:04 PM   #3
BigJimP

The Federal 12SO wads were designed to be used for 1 oz loads....so no, I would not attempt to use them for 1 1/8 oz loads.

like other response....not all hulls are the same ....if you have some 2 3/4" hulls ( its the fired length ) ....all from the same mfg, like Winchester - and some are low brass and some are high brass....you might be able to reload them the same...but resizing them will probably be an issue ....and you will probably get some jams if you run them thru a pump gun or a semi-auto shotgun.

No you cannot just use any 209 primer....you need to find a specific recipe for the specific 209 primer you have.....sometimes recipe's are similar / sometimes they are not .......depends on what you have.

bottom line ....follow a published recipe .../ to be safe !
Old December 9, 2013, 10:18 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

The 12SO maxes out at 1 oz.
Old December 11, 2013, 12:17 PM   #5
snuffy

Quote:
Wads for shotgun reloading?
Trying to use up some excess components that I have laying around the house and keep running into prob.

12S0 Wads: Can You use these with 1 1/8 oz lead at all? How important is a wad and its size? I know not to use 20 gauge wads in 12 gauge but are they that important? What is bad to do in these?

Hulls: Are these all the same? I understand the dif. in 2 3/4 and 3in. I know that's a change... But does it matter if its a high brass or low?

Primers: Do these really matter? As long as its a 209 they are fine to shoot right?
Loademwell, you are asking some very basic questions about shotshell loading. We would have to write a book to get you started, something like the Lyman shotshell handbook!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/887...loading-manual

Get one, read it, then come back, ask questions.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 16, 2013, 01:17 AM   #6
Mule

The 12S0 wad is intended for use in Federal and similar straight walled hulls. Winchester and Remington hulls are tapered. In most cases, 12S0 is not appropriate for use in Rem and WW hulls.

For noob shotshell reloaders, no substitutions allowed. Read, acquire proven published data, learn the basics well before making substitutions.