The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 13, 2012, 12:13 AM   #1
johnm1

Greek 1930 Short Rifle

I picked up a project gun this weekend. It is a Greek 1930 short rifle barreled action with stock. The receiver has mostly been scrubbed but the Greek crest and model number can still be seen with magnification. The action screws are present as well as the butt plate, lower sling swivel, trigger guard, trigger/sear. The rifle is missing the handguard, bolt, follower, follower spring, floorplate/pin, lower band/sling swivel, stock band springs and the bayonet lug appears to be incorrect.

I bought this on a whim figuring I could turn it into a shooter 8mm Mauser for relatively low cost. I paid $49 bucks for it and if it turns out I can't make it work cost wise it won't be the biggest mistake I have made. I can take my time finding the parts so there may be some economy there.

I want to set a budget for this project at or below what the rifle is commonly worth. This is not an investment just a budget for a shooter. If I end up selling it in the future and take a little loss I'm not too worried. I just need to stay in the ball part. But there isn't a lot of action on Gunbroker in the actual sold column. Best estimate from Gunbroker is $200 which would be tough to stay under. Though I think I can do it.

So here is the description of what the finished product would be:

Greek 1930 Short Rifle, ground crest, replacement bolt (doesn't match), with good rifling in a somewhat dark bore. Blue has 2 spots on exposed part of the barrel 1/2 the size of a dime that show bare metal. Stock is in good shape. Handguard will match the stock (I'm pretty good with wood and finishes). Let's assume it ends up shooting well.

What should my budget be? $200, $250?

Last edited by johnm1; February 13, 2012 at 12:16 AM. Reason: to/too gets me a lot
Old February 13, 2012, 09:52 PM   #2
johnm1

I didn't think this was going to be a tough one. Maybe I'll rephrase it. In the end I'm looking for a decent shooter and don't want to 'over spend' in the process. I shoot my rifles. Sometimes in competition. I can't compete with the big dogs, but I have fun with them. Being there isn't much in the way of value information, I figure any centerfire rifle has to have some base value in a non-collector/shooter version.

I guess what I'm after is what is that value in your mind?

In the end I think I can keep this one under $200. And I'm committed to this build/quasi-restore. Bolt is on the way. Probably paid too much but it is complete and a match as far as make and model goes.

By the way, a 'your nuts' may be in order. My wife surely thinks so.
Old February 14, 2012, 07:25 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Boy you've got me. I've never even seen a Greek Model 1930 short rifle.

The parts you're missing could make this a very tough reconstruction.

And, given the relative rarity of the Model 1930 in the US, I really can't say one way or another whether your budget is on target or not.

With the bolt missing you simply can't find a new bolt and slap it in place and considered yourself good to go, either. At a minimum you'll need to check the headspace. If the headspace is off, you'll need to have that addressed, and that can get expensive.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 14, 2012, 11:59 AM   #4
doofus47

250?
I would budget high b/c of the relative scarcity of the parts. If a project is worth starting, it's worth finishing. You might have to pay a little more up front to "get 'er done." In the end, though, you'll be the only cool kid on the block with one...
Do you have a pic. I've never seen one.
Old February 14, 2012, 01:51 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Don't quote me, but that project might not be so difficult. My sources show the Greek Model 1930 to be the FN Model 1924, aka, the Yugoslav 24/47 aka (new manufacture) the Yugoslav Model 48.

For the bolt, normal cautions about headspace apply.

But it might be less expensive to just buy a Model 24/47 or Model 48.

Jim
Old February 14, 2012, 05:53 PM   #6
johnm1

Yup, the 24 and 24/47 are basically the same. At least on the outside. I did find a bolt for a Greek 1930 and have it on the way. Paid too much @ $110 for this project. Handguard is $20 and I still need some of the metal. But I figure I'll start looking at the next big show here in town for those parts. Pick up what I can here and there. Hopefully for less than standard internet pricing.

The real unknown is if the bolt will headspace correctly. My gunsmith will check headspace for free but a trip to the gunsmith to adjust headspace could be the breaking point. Hoping against all hope that the bolt I have on the way will headspace right.

The theme here is a low cost shooter. This thing will not be a beauty. The receiver ring is scrubbed pretty well and is in the white. You really need a magnifying glass to see the Greek crest. The bluing is great under the wood but has several issues near the muzzle. It was cheap and the bore, though a little dark, has really good rifling. I expect it will shoot well. With what I am hoping is a relatively cheap source of parts (24, 24/47) I'm hoping to keep the total cost under $250. Right now I'm up to $190. Future costs are:

Handguard estimated at $20
Sling swiver/band $??
Bayonet Lug $??
Floor plate/pin $??

At this point I don't see it coming in at much less than $250 and that is only if the bolt headspaces correctly.

I'm surprised nobody took me up on the 'Your Nuts' option. In the end I probably would have been better off just buying a 24/47 which go for between $150 and $200. Not nearly as much fun though.
Old February 14, 2012, 09:18 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

As a general rule, a project gun will come in quite cheaply, only about three times the cost of a brand new Dakota Safari. But then if you do the work yourself, it can cost more.

Jim
Old February 14, 2012, 09:51 PM   #8
michaelcj

If there was ever a nail hit on the head....James K just did it MJ