The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 16, 2000, 09:30 AM   #1
gunpowder

My local indoor range is a lead only range. I have equipment for reloading but have never used it nor reloaded before. I am looking for a source for lead only ammunition so I can start getting some range time while I learn to reload. Any sources for lead only ammunition would be helpful. I am looking for 9mm and .38.
Old November 16, 2000, 10:49 AM   #2
beemerb

Pick up a copy of shotgun news.MAny reloaders advertiseing in it.I have used 3D reloads at ranges when I have run out of my own reloads and found them well done.You allso might check your local shops and see what they have on tap and what they will charge per 1000.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.
Old November 21, 2000, 02:35 PM   #3
Mikul

Try Roger's Better Bullets. He sells some very hard lead bullets.

He can be reached at (610)644-6633, and you'll probably get Roger on the phone. He makes the alloy himself. His prices without shipping are under half of what inexpensive FMJs would cost.
Old November 21, 2000, 06:35 PM   #4
sundog

gunpowder, since you haven't played the lead game before, don't get discouraged if your first try at it is not what you expect in terms of accuracy or maybe maybe things like bullet shaving when seating or barrel leading. All can be made to work. Hard and extra hard cast does not necessarily mean that all will be well. Sometimes a softer bullet with a more pistol velocity friendly lube will work much better. But there's plenty help here. In the 9mm, I have found best result with heavier [lead] bullets, favorite being the RCBS 147 gr flat base truncated cone. Also have used 358311 Lyman 158 gr RN and with good results. Keep'em tight in the barrel and slow powders, HS6 range. Hard lubes used by the commercial guys are not always the best for slower pistol velocities, but make for convienience for lubing and shipping. I've picked more than just a few out of the berm with all the lube still intact. You'll need to experiment a bit to get it going right, but that's the fun of it.

All of this applies to commercially available lead cartridges, too. If your first batch isn't right, don't give up. Not all lead bullets are created equal. Heck, maybe we can even talk you into doing your own casting.... sundog
Old November 23, 2000, 02:41 PM   #5
handgunhunting

gunpowder, try looking on http://www.yahoo.com auctions for your lead bullets. I have severl lead bullets listed under this name
Old November 26, 2000, 08:48 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

Very best = Bull-X, both lead bullets and lead bullet ammo.

http://www.bull-x.com