The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 9, 2012, 05:57 PM   #1
uncleric

information on my navy arms 44/40

I have a44/40 1890 outlaw that I have been unable to find information on.
It looks identical to the Uberti 1890 Police(Remington), except mine has a brass trigger guard. The left side of the barrel has A.Uberti. top has Navy Arms and address, and right side has 1890 Outlaw 44/40. I'm sure it was made by Uberti, but can't find the tie to Navy Arms. Prototype? I saw a
statement one place about an article in guns and ammo in 1997 about a
Navy Arms 1890? Any help would be appreciated. I have pictures, but they
could not be uploaded, thanks, Richard
Old June 9, 2012, 06:23 PM   #2
Hawg

Navy Arms was the importer.
Old June 9, 2012, 06:42 PM   #3
uncleric

44/40

yes,but can find no listing for a navyarms 1890remington outlaw,and can,t view the old catalog since berretta bought them, thanks
Old June 9, 2012, 08:05 PM   #4
mykeal

Not sure what it is you expect to find. As Hawg said, Navy Arms was the importer. Uberti, an Italian company, manufactured the gun and sold many "wholesale"to Navy Arms, a US retailer, probably under contract. Uberti placed the Navy Arms info on the guns it sold to Navy Arms as a part of the contract. Navy Arms then imported them to the US for retail sale. There is no "Navy Arms model" in the Uberti catalog because it's not a different model.
Old June 9, 2012, 11:50 PM   #5
MJN77

Also, the older remington copies were made with a brass trigger guard like the "1858" percussion revolvers. I have an older Uberti 1875 revolver with the brass guard. Uberti has since started using steel guards.
Old June 10, 2012, 12:43 AM   #6
arcticap

Is there an Italian proof date code on it?
It's usually 2 letters inside of a box that's stamped on the frame, or Roman numerals.

http://www.powderhombre.com/mbpproofmarks.pdf
Old June 10, 2012, 01:16 PM   #7
uncleric

44/40

thanks all for the replies; I understand that the manufacturer is uberti and the importer was navy arms; the problem is that I can find no record of this model being offered for sale by navy arms, no production dates or quantities.
I did not find the proof mark that was refered to, but I did find cat.4189,
catalog number? thanks, richard
Old June 10, 2012, 02:11 PM   #8
Hawg

Every Italian cartridge gun exported from Italy has a CAT number on it. That's Italian law. The proofs and date code are probably under the ejector housing. The date code will be two letters in a box. I don't see why you think Navy would keep records of Uberti production numbers. I'm not even sure Uberti does. If they do it's in house knowledge.
Old June 10, 2012, 03:07 PM   #9
MJN77

Navy arms used to sell a lot more guns than they do now. They were at one time, one of the big importers of replica "cowboy" and civil war firearms. I remember when they sold remington clones (1875/1890) along with several different types of colt clones. All I can say is, that you have an old remington copy that was sold by navy arms at one time, but was dropped from the product line several years ago. Good luck.
Old June 10, 2012, 04:19 PM   #10
uncleric

44/40

again, thanks one and all for your replies; I at least have acouple of directions to go, and maybe what I'm looking for isn't there, but I'll keep digging. thanks, richard