The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old January 20, 2013, 01:19 PM   #1
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

The Opposition to Obama and Gun-Control is Rapidly Growing.

Jay Blackwell, one of the Examiner.com civil rights reporters has taken on the task of reporting the national opposition to the Obama Administrations efforts to create new gun-bans in the wake of the horrific Sandy Hook shooting. The list below is taken from; Sheriffs will not enforce Obama gun control laws; List reasons for defiance - Long Island Civil Liberties | Examiner.com. I've checked his links and verified his compilation (but don't take my word or Jay's - do your own research).
  1. Oregon:
    Linn County Sheriff Tim Mueller
    Douglas County Sheriff John Hanlin
    Baker County Sheriff Mitchell Southwick
    Josephine County Sheriff Gil Gilbertson
    Crook County Sheriff Jim Hensley
    Coos County Sheriff Craig Zanni
    Curry County Sheriff John Bishop
    Grant County Sheriff Glenn Palmer
    Washington County Sheriff Pat Garrett
  2. Colorado:
    El Paso County Colorado Sheriff Terry Maketa
    Larimer County Sheriff Justin Smith
    Mesa County Sheriff Stan Hilkey
    Weld County Sheriff John Cooke
  3. Alabama:
    Madison County Sheriff Blake Dorning
    Morgan County Sheriff Ana Franklin (not confirmed)
    Houston County Sheriff Andy Hughes
  4. California:
    El Dorado County Sheriff John D’Agostini
    Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims
    Stanislaus County Sheriff Adam Christianson
  5. Missouri:
    Johnson County Sheriff Charles Heiss
    Lawrence County Sheriff Brad DeLay
    Livingston County Sheriff Steve Cox
  6. Arizona:
    Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio
    Yavapai County Sheriff Scott Mascher
  7. Florida:
    Martin County Sheriff Bill Snyder
    Bay County Florida Sheriff Frank McKiethen
  8. Georgia:
    Cherokee County Sheriff Roger Garrison
    Gilmer County Sheriff Stacy Nicholson
  9. Idaho:
    Canyon County, Idaho Sheriff Kieran Donahue
    Madison County Sheriff Roy Klingler
  10. Ohio:
    Boone County Sheriff Michael A. Helmig
    Clermont County Sheriff A.J. Rodenberg
  11. South Carolina:
    Charleston County Sheriff Al Cannon
    Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright
  12. Kansas:
    Johnson County Sheriff Frank Denning
  13. Kentucky:
    Jackson County Sheriff Denny Peyman
  14. Minnesota:
    Pine County Sheriff Robin Cole
  15. Nevada:
    Humboldt County Sheriff Ed Kilgore
  16. Texas:
    Smith County Sheriff Larry Smith
States where lawmakers are proposing "non-enforcement" legislation:
  • Alaska
  • Mississippi
  • New Mexico
  • Tennessee
  • Utah
  • Wyoming
Utah Sheriffs take stance on gun control | FOX13Now.com – Salt Lake City, Utah News & Weather from KSTU Television FOX 13. The Utah Sheriff's Assoc. has written a strongly worded letter to Obama. Twenty-eight of the 29 Sheriff's signed the letter - Jim Winder of Salt Lake County did not sign. There was a strong hint that the Sheriffs thought that confiscation would be pursued, and vowed to stop such, even to the point of lethal force. Possibly why Sheriff Winder would not sign the letter.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:50 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

Quote:
There was a strong hint that the Sheriffs thought that confiscation would be pursued, and vowed to stop such, even to the point of lethal force. Possibly why Sheriff Winder would not sign the letter.
Winder is shady and has aspirations of running for higher office, such as Governor. He won't do anything to potentially jeopardize his chances in future elections, or implicate himself in what may be viewed as acts of sedition.

He puts himself and his potential political future above all else - even if it means refusing to take a stance on an issue, out of fear of letting voters know what he really thinks. He's a politician, not a Sheriff.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:51 PM   #3
MrDontPlay

Even as a youngster with an "authority problem" or lack of respect for many LEOs because of their actions, I sincerely commend the ones sticking up for our rights. My county is not on the list, but I'm planning on doing the research to see my sheriffs opinion and asking him to take the same stand. There is a county close to mine on the list, and in a place like southwest MO, I would expect him to do the same. Thanks for posting.
Old January 20, 2013, 02:03 PM   #4
BGutzman

Its good to know that at least some people recognize that the Supreme Court doesn't have to rule on every single unconstitutional matter... We the people also retain that power in actions just like this...
Old January 20, 2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Adding to the list: First in the Nation: Beaufort County, NC Passes Gun Law Nullification Resolution – Tenth Amendment Center Blog.

Granted that at this point, all of this is a symbolic gesture. However, if it spreads far and wide enough, even such symbolism takes on the air of legitimacy.
Old January 20, 2013, 02:14 PM   #6
TDodge7

In Virginia there is a bill: HB2340

Prevent any agency, political subdivision, or employee of Virginia from assisting the Federal government of the United States in any investigation, prosecution, detention, arrest, search, or seizure, under the authority of any federal statute enacted, or Executive Order or regulation issued, after December 31, 2012, infringing the individual Right to Keep and Bear Arms by imposing new restrictions on private ownership or private transfer of firearms, firearm magazines, ammunition, or components thereof.

My Sheriff hasn't spoken out against gun prohibition and I don't really expect him to, but it would be nice, I sure like HB2340
Old January 20, 2013, 02:18 PM   #7
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Morgan County Sheriff Ana Franklin
I am not so sure about that one. In fact I am highly incredulous. Does anyone have a link to a statement from her? Because I doubt there is one.

The other Alabama ones are accounted for. I believe a few others will probably announce as well.

I don't know how I feel about Sheriffs not enforcing the law. I don't think they should have the privilege of picking and choosing. Still support is nice.
Old January 20, 2013, 02:51 PM   #8
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

After another, more thorough, search, I've stricken the name of Ana Franklin.
Old January 20, 2013, 04:15 PM   #9
miboso

Quote:
I don't know how I feel about Sheriffs not enforcing the law. I don't think they should have the privilege of picking and choosing.
But they are supporting a law - the U.S. Constitution, supreme law of the land. Any law that violates said Constitution is invalid, even if enforced through authoritarian force.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:39 PM   #10
Kevin Rohrer

My Sheriff told me he has received LOTS of phone calls and emails from people who are angry about Obama's attempt at gun grabbing. He told me that he takes orders from no one--except his wife.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; January 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:53 PM   #11
Warrior1256

Great to hear, especially since my state is represented. I thing the pendelum started to swing back in the pro-gun direction a couple of weeks ago, but now is not the time to let up on our efforts.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:36 PM   #12
USAFNoDak

Wasn't there some issue with the Branch Davidians near Waco where the Sheriff didn't want to try and make any moves on David Koresh? I can't remember the details as the time elapsed has made my memory fuzzy on it. Wasn't that why the feds then went to the "He's got machine guns in violation of federal law" and moved in the ATF folks? I had also heard that unless it's on federal land, federal law enforcement agencies must get permission from the local sheriff to conduct operations outside of federally owned land/buildings. I'm not sure if that's true or not. How would they be stopped, such as in a situation similar to Waco or Ruby Ridge?
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:41 PM   #13
USAFNoDak

Quote:
I thing the pendelum started to swing back in the pro-gun direction a couple of weeks ago, but now is not the time to let up on our efforts.
Not only is it NOT the time to let up on our efforts, it's time to double and triple down on them. We need to go on the offensive, similar to what some of these sheriffs are doing. Many people are out buying guns. Many are writing and calling their Representatives and Senators, nationally and at their state levels. We also need to educate friends, coworkers, family members, neighbors, etc, who aren't that familiar with firearms but aren't lost causes when it comes to the Bill of Rights and the protection of our civil liberties, including the right to keep and bear arms.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:23 PM   #14
Dr Big Bird PhD

I don't know if "offensive" is the right idea. Definitely proactive though
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 20, 2013, 11:27 PM   #15
SVO

It's also time to open up the pocket book and contribute to your favorite lobby. It's going to be an expensive fight
Old January 21, 2013, 11:05 AM   #16
Glenn E. Meyer

Politico.com is a good source for evaluations of the chances of significant gun control.

Here's a piece reporting on Bill Clinton cautioning against snooty attitudes and pushing for more gun control:

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...43.html?hp=l21

Quote:
Former President Bill Clinton warned a group of top Democratic donors at a private Saturday meeting not to underestimate the passions that gun control stirs among many Americans.

“Do not patronize the passionate supporters of your opponents by looking down your nose at them,” Clinton said.
This piece from a GOP Senator speaks to the same risk:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/politi...79.html?hp=l14

I think that the antigun forces are having a group-think that the entire country is behind them. They ignore listening to the opposition and discard it as nuts (see Biden), but Clinton is warning them as is Reid.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:23 PM   #17
win-lose

Quote:
I think that the antigun forces are having a group-think that the entire country is behind them. They ignore listening to the opposition and discard it as nuts (see Biden), but Clinton is warning them as is Reid.
Let's hope that the don't listen! My bigger fear is that the table this issue, focus their efforts on the 2014 mid-terms, then circle back to gun control and other issues with full control of the house and senate!
Old January 21, 2013, 01:39 PM   #18
Dr Big Bird PhD

Not to be political, but Clinton has been way worse out of office than he was in office.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 21, 2013, 01:44 PM   #19
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Clinton's smart enough to remember 1994. The arrogance and condescension with which the NRA and the gun culture were treated was epic in the leadup to the AWB and Brady Bill.

We were frozen out of the discussion process, lampooned by the media, and mocked at nearly every turn. To this day, I wonder if there might not have been less anger over the ban if they simply hadn't been so cocky and rude about it.

In any case, Clinton's words were worth considering, but the anti-gunners think they've got the wind at their back, so I doubt he'll be heeded.

(Towards the bottom of the first page of that article, there's a link to a photo gallery of guns that were banned in 1994. One of them is the FN FAL, for which they provide a picture of a PS-90.)
Old January 21, 2013, 01:50 PM   #20
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
We were frozen out of the discussion process, lampooned by the media, and mocked at nearly every turn. To this day, I wonder if there might not have been less anger over the ban if they simply hadn't been so cocky and rude about it.
It's like deja vu all over again.

Truthfully it is not as bad this time I think. It is a lot harder to keep spreading lies with the internet these days. You can spread a lie faster but the truth is much closer behind.
Old January 21, 2013, 02:54 PM   #21
iraiam

Keep in mind that the County Sheriff is the highest elected law enforcement agent in the country, therefore it is a political office. I support their stance fully.

Now we have to figure out how much of this is politics, although if memory serves there are a few Supreme Court descisions that decree states and counties have no power to enforce federal statutes directly.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old January 21, 2013, 03:07 PM   #22
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E Meyer
“Do not patronize the passionate supporters of your opponents by looking down your nose at them,” Clinton said.
I have never known Clinton as anything other than a partisan political adversary and a man with at least his share of vices. Stupidity is not one of his vices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
In any case, Clinton's words were worth considering, but the anti-gunners think they've got the wind at their back, so I doubt he'll be heeded.
Clinton has the considerable political advantage not just of his own brilliance, but by being relatively unhindered by the sort of inflexibility that accompanies a deeply held and principled belief.

Those who have made a career of abridging and individual's right to firearms are a very different sort of person. While we may not find their arguments are consistent with data or well reasoned, the "anti-gunners" are routinely convinced that they are correct not just factually but morally. This makes flexible and deft handling of public opinion very difficult for them. Sandy Hook certainly represented an opportunity for advocates of that position, but I would not think those advocates will have the inclination to follow Clinton's advice.

Last edited by zukiphile; January 21, 2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old January 21, 2013, 03:15 PM   #23
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I have never known Clinton as anything other than a partisan political adversary and a man with at least his share of vices.
He's much smarter than people think, and he managed a few political masterstrokes in his day. The antis would do well to listen to his advice.

I'm glad they aren't, for the most part.

Quote:
"anti-gunners" are routinely convinced that they are correct not just factually but morally. This makes flexible and deft handling of public opinion very difficult for them.
You're right. They expect to win the day with heavy-handed emotional appeals, and the general public doesn't buy those as well as they used to. Their immediate capitalization on Sandy Hook is a good example. In their rush to capitalize, they really came off as morbid and opportunistic, and many folks noticed that.
Old January 21, 2013, 03:19 PM   #24
jpcmt

I got this reply from my sheriff...so we could add Ravalli County, MT to the list possibly. Still not sure to what extent this is political or real, but it's something..and should be published in our local papers soon with further details.

Dear [jpcmt],

Thank you for your email. I have received several emails and calls, asking the same questions, over the past few days. As a result, I am working on a letter which I will submit to our local papers.

[jpcmt], I have spoken publicly, on many occasions, regarding my stance on the 2nd Amendment, and gun control in general. That stance has never changed. As long as I am the sheriff in Ravalli County, this office will never enforce unconstitutional laws, nor will we ever be involved in the confiscation of guns from law abiding citizens. Moreover, we will not stand idly by, and watch any other agency do so.

For lack of time I will leave it at that, and hope the above answers your questions. Please do look for a letter from me in our news papers, and don’t hesitate to send another email, to this address, if you have further questions.

Thank you again, for your very respectful email.

Best,

Sheriff Chris Hoffman
Ravalli County Sheriffs Office
205 Bedford Suite G
Hamilton, Montana 59840
406-375-4060
Fax: 406-375-4065
[email protected]
Old January 21, 2013, 09:52 PM   #25
Luger_carbine

I came across these 2 law enforcement officers who have said they won't enforce any measure which they consider unconstitutional:

Sheriff Jerry Parsley Clark County, IL

Police Chief Mark Kessler of Gilberton, Pennsylvania
Closed Thread