The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 4, 2013, 12:15 AM   #1
Flashover2011

What about MY protection?

I live in Illinois, terrible I know, but I don't leave anywhere near Chicago.
I do have a valid FOID card. But my issue is that I inherited a handgun from my grandfather... The problem?
The problem is that I am 20 years old. I live on my own, pay my own bills, and support myself fully. My question and issue is that can I legally own this firearm? I can't buy ammo for it... Because of my age. And how do I go around this problem? I don't want to be in prison for a firearms violation that goes against my rights as a US Citizen. Also, how is it that I am considered am adult by the federal government but my age restricts me from owning a handgun? Why?!?!
Old May 4, 2013, 01:05 AM   #2
dakota.potts

I'm not turning 18 until August and I already feel your pain.

First, it's my understanding that at 18, you are not an adult but an "emancipated minor". This is why you don't get full rights until you're 21.

It's also my understanding that, at least Federally, you can be in ownership of a handgun at 18 and you can buy ammo for it from a private seller. It is not illegal for you to buy handgun ammo, but it is illegal for an FFL owner to sell it to you if he suspects that you're under 21 or has reason to think you are. Kinda wonky but that's the way it is.

I'm not a lawyer, nor am I old enough to play one on TV, and I've been wrong before.
Old May 4, 2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Technosavant

FFLs cannot sell a handgun to anyone under 21.

This is not to say a handgun cannot be owned by someone under 21. It can be given as a gift/bequeathment or obtained through a private sale... DEPENDING ON STATE LAW.* I do not think you would be likely to have a problem unless IL itself has a prohibition on ownership of handguns by those under 21.

*I do not know IL law on the matter... this is just federal law I am speaking of.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:01 AM   #4
cecILL

Flashover, you're good to go. Just can't purchase till 21. I've owned guns since the pre teen years, several decades ago.
Old May 4, 2013, 01:39 PM   #5
jnichols2

Flashover

It seems the age 21 applies to purchasing.

It is unlawful to possess any firearm or ammunition without a valid FOID, but you have that covered.

If I were you, I would keep it put away for another year. At least I wouldn't take it out anywhere to shoot. It sounds like the gun means a lot to you, so you wouldn't want some overzealous official trying to make a case out of it.

By federal law you own it legally because it was gifted to you.