The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 24, 2012, 03:07 PM   #51
Hunter Customs

Quote:
But what I really want to know is who the dammed idiot is at Leupold that ruined my favorite scope the 2 x 7 vari-xII or shall I say now days the VX-II. The current crop of VX-II's do not have a locking ring on the eye focus adjustment. It's a fast focus set up. This is stupid. Who needs a fast focus adjustment on a simple little 2 x 7 power scope. The darned thing keeps moving on me if I am not careful when changing the power setting ring. I called an complained, and hope others do, to get this great scope back to it's roots as a fine hunting scope, where you set the eye focus and forget it. I just can't believe how stupid Leupold was on this move.

Blue Duck,

I'm with you on this, I hate the fast focus eyepiece that seems to be the standard on most scope manufactured today.
I'll take a lock ring eyepiece any day over the fast focus crap.

Here's a fix I used on my fast focus eyepiece scopes.
I took an intertube from a 10 speed bike, cut some 1 inch rubber bands, slipped them over the fast focus eyepiece on to the scope tube and eyepiece which makes it much more difficut to turn the eyepiece.
Not as good as a lock ring, but close.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 25, 2012, 09:31 AM   #52
hooligan1

This is what industry does, think about it, in 10 years or so Leupold will bring it back as the "Classic" model, and itll sell like hotcakes.
Old December 25, 2012, 10:18 AM   #53
Hunter Customs

Quote:
This is what industry does, think about it, in 10 years or so Leupold will bring it back as the "Classic" model, and itll sell like hotcakes.
hooligan1,

Yes sir, you are so correct.
A good example of this is Colts 1911 pistols.
Colt will charge you more for a new series 70 style gun over the 80 series when the 80 series requires additional machine work and parts.
But the 70 series is a "Classic".

Back to the subject of scopes, I've never seen a need to focus my scopes in the field once I had them focused.
Of course this don't hold true with the fast focus feature as the eye pice seems to be getting moved out of focus all the time.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 26, 2012, 07:40 AM   #54
Bart B.

Bob, if your fast-focus eyepieces don't stay in focus and they've not physically moved, I don't think the scope's at fault. It's your aiming eye that has the problem.
Old December 26, 2012, 10:36 AM   #55
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Bob, if your fast-focus eyepieces don't stay in focus and they've not physically moved, I don't think the scope's at fault. It's your aiming eye that has the problem.
Bart B,

I'll be the first to admitt my old eyes are not as good as they once was.
My issues with the fast focus eye piece is they get moved, I 've moved them by just slinging the rifle over my shoulder.
I much prefer the lock ring eyepiece, even with my old eyes I don't seem to have issues with it.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com