The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 5, 2010, 01:00 PM   #1
bullbarrel

Colt Woodsman

I have an opportunity to own a Colt Woodsman. A private transaction with the seller asking $475.

I have attached pics of the same type of gun sold on Guns International by Cabela's Ft Worth for $1,099.

The one I'm looking at has the pencil 4" barrel and wood grips, too.

Does anyone know where I can find extra mags for it, and how reliable it is?

Old January 5, 2010, 01:28 PM   #2
hardluk1

475 might be bit strong but if like new????? Do check the serial number at a colt huntsman site. If you do a search ( colt woodsman serial numbers ) you will find eskimo.com and a serial number base to learn more about the pistol your looking at. The early models did not like the hot ammo out today but springs can be up-graded to fix that and all parts can be had for it. Mags can be bought from many sites and are OEM mags that fit both push botton and bottom retainer types frames. I got two for a friend from all places cheap than dirt . Hate them, but I got a couple new, old, mags for 26 bucks. Lots around the net. Those colts are as reliable as any pistol made. I have a 64 that has had many,many thousands of rounds through it and a buddy has a '55 that has never been apart and still is flawless as a shooter. You will like it for sure....
Old January 5, 2010, 01:32 PM   #3
bullbarrel

Are parts had to find?
Old January 5, 2010, 01:44 PM   #4
bullbarrel

Serial number dates it to '74 - '75.
Old January 5, 2010, 04:31 PM   #5
peejman

I have a 1st series Woodsman that my grandfather originally bought for my great-aunt. It was made somewhere around 1939.

They're neat little guns and fun to shoot, though a PITA to clean. Mine is picky about ammo. It won't reliably feed HP ammo, and seems to prefer FMJ round nose. But I don't shoot it much as I also have a Ruger MK I.

Extra mags for mine are sparse and pricey (I only have one). Since this one is newer, they might be more available. I have no idea about parts, I hope mine never breaks.
Old January 5, 2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Big Bill

That's a real find and a steel on the gun, IMHO. Don't hesitate too long or you'll be kicking yourself.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old January 5, 2010, 04:40 PM   #7
shooter_from_show-me

This place might be helpful too.

http://www.colt22.com/

NRA Life Member
Old January 5, 2010, 06:03 PM   #8
Flint Ridge

I would say you will get good responses from the RimfireCentral post you have going. That would be my first stop and you are already there.
Old January 5, 2010, 06:53 PM   #9
dreamweaver

I would grab it at that price! (assuming its at least 80%). theyre getting harder and harder to find and the prices keep going up. browning makes a similar gun that you can get NIB for around $400 and ruger makes one as well.
Old January 7, 2010, 11:43 AM   #10
hardluk1

Parts are avalable for the colt . Just spend a few minutes searching around. A 74 or 75 colt would be a newer model and a great pistol . Get it if you can after shooting it first just to know it works . Nothing is hard to find for them. Not even for the early models. Just got some mags for a friends daughter that has a 55' model and found everthing you could want to repair it even a description of how to disassemble and a manual on line to.
Old January 8, 2010, 01:02 AM   #11
Rangefinder

That's the handgun I learned on as a kid, then I inherited it from my grandfather, and love it like no other. It will feed anything, and I can spin soda cans with it at 75yds+ all day long. Couldn't even estimate how many thousands of rounds have been put through it and it still operates flawlessly. Get it while you can--you won't regret it.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.