The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 17, 2000, 07:05 AM   #1
RDF

Got to shoot my .243 Remington 700 this weekend. Tried about ever factory brand and bullet. Of all tried the Federal Premium 70 gr speer-tnt bullet and 85 gr Gameking Bthp shoot the best group 1-1/4" @110 yds. Anybody got a farovite load using the above bullets? Should this rifle shoot better?
Old April 19, 2000, 12:22 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If you handload, or take up handloading, I have a couple of pet loads that do quite well.

I have found the Federal Premium shoots almost as well as my handloads with the same bullet, the Sierra 85-grain HPBT...

If I was starting to tune a rifle, I'd begin with the bedding of the fore-end of the stock. I like to free-float the barrel, and use a wax-paper shim out at the tip. The thickness of several layers should be such that it takes about a five-pound pull to give enough room to get it in place. (I just cut a 3/4" strip of kitchen wax paper, and fold it back and forth, until it's thick enough.) Then, several fast shots and the wax melts just enough to hold...

I'm getting 1/2" groups with 70-grain Hornady bullets, and 1/2" to 5/8" with the 85-grain Sierras.

Regards, Art
Old April 19, 2000, 09:56 AM   #3
BMiracle

Before you get too involved, try Nosler ballistic tips. My .243 shoots .4" with the 95 gr, and .5" groups with the 70gr. I just love these little polymer tipped bullets!
Old April 19, 2000, 11:43 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

RDF: I tried to answer your email, but it got kicked back as "undeliverable". Damfino.

Anyhow, start some 3.0 grains lower than what I use as max, and watch for pressure signs. I have never chronographed these loads.

I use Winchester brass. I use IMR 3031. With the 70-grain Hornady, I use 40.0 grains. With the 85-grain Sierra HPBT, I use 37.5 grains. Don't confuse them; it creates serious problems. My rifle is a Sako Forrester; the chamber is apparently on the tight side, as I cannot use anybody else's once-fired brass without full-length resizing.

Both bullets are ruinacious on jackrabbits and coyotes. I limited my deer hunting usage with the 85-grain to deer I expected to field-dress at no more than 100-120 pounds, and shots within 200 yards. I never lost a deer, but I don't recall shots much over 100 yards. Mostly ear or neck shots; a few heart shots. Absolutely no "I hope..." shots.

I have fairly recent Hodgon and Speer books; and I've used the Sierra books for years. I cross-reference a lot, just checking...Always start at least 5% under max, or use the book's "starting load" and watch for pressure signs. Always.

As far as my bedding deal with the wax paper, it oughta work on any stock material. My belief is that it provides a light touch of damping to make the barrel vibrations uniform from shot to shot. All I know is that it has always reduced the group-size of every rifle to which I've done it. 15? 20? I dunno.

Hope this helps, Art
Old April 20, 2000, 07:13 AM   #5
RDF

Thanks Art