The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 9, 2002, 03:09 PM   #1
Zander

RANGE REPORT: S&W Model 25-5 ...

None of you N-frame fans will be surprised at this report...might even be bored.

Took my newly-acquired 25-5 4-incher w/Pachmayrs to the range yesterday and shot two .45 Colt loads through it:

Blazer 200g Gold Dots, appx. 70 rounds

Winchester 225g Silvertips, appx. 25 rounds

Set up bowling pins and empty 20 oz. water bottles at 25 yards or so and shot the first cylinder full in SA mode. Child's play...five of first six targets went down with no effort. Aim, squeeze the trigger [probably 1.5-2 lbs. in SA], BOOM!, mild recoil, target falls. Probably missed the last target of that first string 'cause my grin was so wide.

POI was just where it should have been with both loads. The Silvertips did have a bit more recoil. No chrono so I can't give you speeds out the 4" tube, but some of you 25 or 625 owners can probably help out with your own experiences.

Extraction with all loads was easy. The HKS speedloaders worked flawlessly and helped a bunch.

There's a lot to like about this revolver but right now the great accuracy impresses me the most. Started breaking rocks at 40 yards or so 'cause the closer shooting was so easy. Not much more effort required to make gravel.

Next outing, I'll check it from rest on the 50-yard rifle range to see just how good it can be. Anybody have recommendations on other loads in the lighter-bullet range? I'm saving the big chunks of lead like the 300g Cor-Bons for the Mountain Gun. No since taking a chance on shooting the 25-5 loose with those thumpers.

Only one negative so far...cost of ammo. Looks like it's time to start cranking the handle to roll my own.
Old August 9, 2002, 08:11 PM   #2
maxwayne

Not the least bit surprised, my 25 4 inch is one of my most accurate revolvers. It has not had a factory load thru it since I got it. Cast SWC's and 7.0 of Unique.
Old August 9, 2002, 09:20 PM   #3
kahr Carrier

N-frames ,sweet guns.Sounds like you have a nice one.
Old August 9, 2002, 09:41 PM   #4
Mannlicher

My 25-5 is a very old one. Mine has the 6 inch heavy barrel. 25 yard targets typically show one ragged hole. Hitting beer cans at 100 yards is no great feat with this gun. I like the 225 grain Silver Tips, but lately I have been carrying the 200 CorBon JHP load. I reload a variety of loads for my Smith & Wesson.

I shoot some pretty stout loads, with a 311 grain hard cast SWC over a lot of WW296. After probably a thousand rounds of that stuff in the past three years, no problems at all.

Recently, I had my gunsmith do a little work on it. The butt was changed to round, following the K frame contours. MepPro tritium sights make it a great house gun in the dark. I swapped the wide target trigger and hammer for slimmer ones, and swapped out the cylinder release for the new shaped one. The grips are custom Rose Wood with finger grooves.

All the sharp edges were 'melted', the cylinder charge holes given a slight bevel, and all new springs installed.

The nicest thing, is the new cylinder he produced for me. Chambered in .45 ACP, I can now shoot my favorite ACP loads. The 230 HydroShock is VERY accurate from this 6 incher. The cylinder will take loose rounds(the cylinders were bored so that the cases will headspace on the case mouth). I usually use Full Moon clips, because they unload, reload so quickly.

I often carry this N frame concealed. A cross draw holster of my design, conceals easily under a open shirt worn over a tee shirt.

One simply cannot have too many N frame Smiths!!!

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 10, 2002, 02:16 AM   #5
E357

Mannlicher: Did you get somebody local to do that work for you? I am also down here in S. Florida and would love to find someone in the area who can do major work on Smiths.

Elliot
Old August 10, 2002, 08:55 AM   #6
Drakejake

Zander,

Why didn't you get one that shoots .45 acp?

Drakejake
Old August 10, 2002, 05:01 PM   #7
gagunner

Good shooting with your new "N" frame,you'll love it.I started with a 27-2(357) then a 25-5 (model 1955,45acp that the wife calls hers).Next came a 25-3 which is S&W 125 anniverary mdl in presentation case with book on history of Smith,too damn pretty to shoot.Seemed stange to see 45 Colt ctg.on the barrell of a Smith Aniv.Edition.Next came a 625-3,4' 45 acp.Had to replace HER gun didn't I Still didn't have a 45 Colt to shoot till a mint 25-2 ,4" with stag grips followed me home from a gun show .Last but not least, another 25-5 with a 8 3/8" barrell needed a home and I just couldn't refuse it.The moral is,be careful,this can be contagous!!