The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 28, 2013, 08:40 AM   #26
rayban

Here's some suggested reading for ya.
Old July 28, 2013, 08:51 AM   #27
rayban

...oh and there's another purpose for stamping, other than "to adorn"....when stamping, especially the basket weave type, you are compressing the fibers in the leather, making it denser, hence stronger...
Old July 28, 2013, 09:36 AM   #28
newfrontier45

I actually agree about some of the corny Hollywood buscadero rigs that have featured prominently in early westerns and TV shows. However, it should be rather obvious that not all floral carving is on such rigs.

Quote:
Here's some suggested reading for ya.
Yep, I think you'll find quite a few floral carved holsters in that book that are nothing like what Hopalong Cassidy would've worn.

The frontier floral on El Paso Saddlery's Jesse James rig is a good example.

Or this carved flap holster by Shooting Star Saddlery.

Big difference between them and this buscadero rig by Purdy Gear (which I hate to use as an example because she does gorgeous work):

Quote:
I cannot bring myself to wear rhinestones on the blue-jeans and sequins on my tennis shoes either.
Sorry but that analogy is just plain silly.
Old July 28, 2013, 10:06 AM   #29
dahermit

Quote:
Quote:
I cannot bring myself to wear rhinestones on the blue-jeans and sequins on my tennis shoes either.
Quote:
Sorry but that analogy is just plain silly.
Just silly? And yet you post that last picture? Red belt loops and studs all over? What is the difference between that and "...rhinestones on the blue-jeans and sequins on my tennis shoes..". I wonder what George Patton would have said about that holster. And come on now, that is Hoppy's holster.

As for the others, they are indeed impressive...as examples of works of art. But, uhhh...you going to wear them to the range. Or open-carry, or concealed, or hunting? For display, I have to agree, they have that niche covered.

Last edited by dahermit; July 28, 2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old July 28, 2013, 10:17 AM   #30
newfrontier45

Please take the time to actually read what I posted.

Funny you should mention George Patton because he carried one of the fanciest Colt SAA's you're likely to ever see.

Last edited by newfrontier45; July 28, 2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old July 28, 2013, 10:45 AM   #31
dahermit

Gluing the seams on home-made holsters, the argument for and against.

1.) Most "professionals" use glue on the seams. I do not know if "most" do...it has been established that "some" do. But, it has not been established that it is done for any reason other than a manufacturing expediency. Techniques used by commercial companies have little to do with techniques used by hobbyists. We do not "blank out" leather using large dies. We do not use commercial leather sewing machines, etc. Other than that, saying the "most professionals" use glue is a "fallacy of an appeal to authority".

2.) Gluing makes for a stronger seam. This statement begs the question: How strong is strong enough to not come apart? Other than a catastrophic event, (car, airplane crash), the stitching using twisted cord "thread" as offered by Tandy and others is sufficiently strong to provide more than a life-time of use without coming apart. If the thread deteriorated (rotted) from exposure to the elements, oils, etc., the mere fact that there was glue in the seam would not keep the seam from failing...if the thread fails, so does the seam, regardless if glue (rubber cement, etc.), had been used.

3.) Glue makes for a smoother finished seam. The glue is applied between the pieces of leather, not on the outside where it is visible. If the seam is finished properly, sanded, burnished, there will be no evident difference between one that has been glued and stitched and one that has just been stitched.

4.) Glue will keep the seam from "coming apart" (gapping). I have experimented with glue as an expediency but when I started in the early '70's, I did not use it. It is notable the leather items I made back then without glue, still show no sign of gaping at the seam. There are a couple of reasons why a leather seam will gap on a holster. One of which is that the stitching was performed too far in, away from the edge. If that is done, the stitching cannot exert enough force on the leather to keep it from gaping. The seam should be stitched nearer to the edge. Another reason that a seam could gap is if the maker sewed the seam while the leather was wet. Wet leather expands, shrinks when dry resulting in a gap.

In all, I have found gluing to be unnecessary and in some cases, counter-productive. If the sewing holes are punched in both halves before sewing (with heavy leather there is not much choice), the glue will make it more difficult to align the holes for sewing. If there are more than two thicknesses of leather to be sewn together, it is even more problematic in regard to alignment especially when the glue was allowed to set and must be pulled apart to adjust the alignment.

In the end, I suggest that you experiment with and without glue to determine for yourself whether or not it is worth the trouble.

Last edited by dahermit; July 28, 2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old July 28, 2013, 11:43 AM   #32
newfrontier45

Before moving forward, are we clear on the difference between the floral carving in the first two pics compared to the third or are we still stuck on rhinestones and sequins?

Glue is purely personal preference. There is no right or wrong on that issue but there ARE clear advantages to doing so that should not be left out of the discussion.

1. I'm not talking about just major manufacturers but one-man shops. The size of the maker really has nothing to do with it. It's really the only way to get a lining to behave.

2. Gluing does make for a stronger seam. It keeps the leather from moving or working itself loose. It protects the stitches. You've obviously never seen any old leather that had worked itself loose with age and use.

3. Yes, glue keeps the pieces together at the edges. Of course it is not applied to the edges, that is irrelevant. Again, lots of old leather good that were produced by a high end shops like George Lawrence with separated edges.

4. Stitch spacing goes without saying and nobody said anything about stitching wet leather.

Quote:
If the sewing holes are punched in both halves before sewing (with heavy leather there is not much choice), the glue will make it more difficult to align the holes for sewing.
That's because you do not punch both sides before gluing. You punch the front first. If there is a welt, you glue the welt down first, then skive the end (for a partial welt), then glue the two sides together. Then you punch the rear holes with an awl using the front holes as a guide. This is the traditional method of doing saddle stitching. This results in a more even mainseam because it is nearly impossible to get the two halves lined up if you punch ALL the holes and then stitch it without gluing.

Actually a lot of your work looks like it's stitched too far from the edge. Your stitching would look a lot cleaner if you used an overstitch wheel and punched your holes with an awl instead of that lacing fork.

Again, I'm not trying to run you down. Just trying to add to what you started and perhaps offer some additional help to beginners. Since you come off as very arrogant when some alternative methods are suggested, my tone probably reflects that. I'm trying to help you refine your work but you've already decided that I'm "too young and too inexperienced" for you to learn from.
Old July 28, 2013, 12:50 PM   #33
dahermit

Quote:
Actually a lot of your work looks like it's stitched too far from the edge.
And yet, none have ever had their seams open over the years even though I did not use glue on them.

Quote:
...Your stitching would look a lot cleaner if you used an overstitch wheel...
And yet you still have neglected to post pictures of your fine work...

Last edited by dahermit; July 28, 2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old July 28, 2013, 06:53 PM   #34
dahermit

Note to readers: newfrontier45 has sent me a private mail with pictures of some of the holsters he has made. After seeing them, I wish to publically apologize to him for my hostility. His holsters are skillfully made, some of the best I have seen by a home leathersmith. My only excuse for my hostility is that there are many jerks and dolts on the internet and I have in this case made a wrong assumption. He is a very skilled holster maker.
Old July 29, 2013, 11:26 AM   #35
newfrontier45

Apology accepted, no harm done. I know that was not easy and I hope that everybody can see that I was trying to help. Thanks again for the kind words. I apologize for anything offensive I might have said in my frustration.
Old July 30, 2013, 02:38 PM   #36
bamabiker

This thread was just getting good and my popcorn was just about ready.
Just kidding guys.
One thing about leatherwork is there is more than one way to do most of it. As far as floral or basketweave or border stamping or just plain leather it's just personal preference like most things.
I happen to like floral holsters and the work that goes into making them.
Old July 30, 2013, 03:55 PM   #37
rayban

Very nice Bamabiker...I believe I remember you having several such holsters among your collection.

That floral carving is indeed an art form....and you're right, it's not for everyone.
But at the same time, I defend it when ridiculed by those who know nothing about it.
Old July 30, 2013, 05:26 PM   #38
dahermit

Quote:
As far as floral or basketweave or border stamping or just plain leather it's just personal preference like most things.
I agree, it is just personal preference. I do not like floral at all, however that full-flap holster above strikes me as drop-dead gorgeous. Nevertheless, it begs the question; How would a holster like the be used? If I made or owned it, I would not risk scuffing it up by using it for hunting. Inasmuch as Cowboy Action Shooters like the more historically accurate stuff, I doubt if someone is going to show up at a CBA shoot with it. It would certainly make a person over-dressed at a public range or gun club. I guess it would fall into the class of holster that one might put a "Barbecue gun", in...just for display. Too nice for a practical use, but it sure is pretty.
I could see some CBA use for that El Paso Saddlery's Jesse James rig, it is not all that ornate that it would look out of place.
The Black, White, and Red holster, however...I wonder what the maker had in mind as to purpose.

Last edited by dahermit; July 30, 2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old July 30, 2013, 07:06 PM   #39
oldandslow

Thanks to DH and NF45 for this tutorial. There are always different ways to approach a problem and getting feedback from others is enlightening. The only problem is that now I want to make another holster to improve my technique.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old July 30, 2013, 11:26 PM   #40
newfrontier45

I don't baby any of my floral carved leather and as soon as I develop the skill, will probably carve most of my own "using" leather. Right now I'm working on a modified version of Will Ghormley's "Flames of Hell" pattern holster for a Uberti Schofield and he sells those for $260 (just the holster). It's not carved but it's not cheap either. I'll be carrying it this hunting season. I don't think leather like that is out of place anywhere a holstered sixgun is appropriate. The black and red rig above, well, that's a different story. I thought that was a good example of the over the top Hollywood buscadero rigs popular with the singing cowboys. I appreciate the skill required to produce such work but it doesn't appeal to me.

The CAS City Leather Shop has a 278page thread showcasing works of various members. Lots of fancy stamped and carved rigs.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...pic,228.0.html
Old July 31, 2013, 10:11 AM   #41
dahermit

Quote:
I appreciate the skill required to produce such work but it doesn't appeal to me.
Nor me. I think that if I felt I needed adornment on leather, I would rather go with Oak leaves and acorns rather than floral. Back in the day when I had horses and rode, the best looking saddle I had ever seen, before or since, was one done entirely in spider web. It was all black and profusely covered with the web carving. I coveted that saddle, but it was way out of my price range. All the Western saddles that I could afford were floral-decorated except for plain-Jane stock saddles that were butt-killers due to no padding...bought one as a spare, ouch!...big mistake.
Old July 31, 2013, 10:16 AM   #42
dahermit

"Uberti Schofield" ---Always liked the idea of the Schofield, always struck me as a much better concept (ease of reloading), than the Colt SAA., especially for mounted troops.
Old August 2, 2013, 08:33 AM   #43
sc928porsche

I have made only one holster in my life. I did take a course in leather craft when I was in high school. I found an old scabbard in a trash heap. It was bent, wrinkled, and dried to the texture of a rock.

I made a holster and belt pattern out of craft paper (wife and kids gave me the dickens for using their "precious" paper). I borrowed some leather tools from a friend (must have been those tandy ones that were mentioned). I had to use a hacksaw blade to open the seam. I had to soak the leather in water for a long time for it to get pliable, and laid it between 2 pieces of plywood with weights on the top sheet to dry.

I cut out my patterns and glued some heavy canvas to the inside and trimmed. I used an ice pick to open my thread holes. I used waxed twine to stich. I got a bottle of Kiwi black shoe dye and gave holster and belt several coats. Once dry I gave them several coats of clear sealer.

The job would have been a lot easier had the leather been thinner. The leather on the scabbard was over 1/4" thick. The rig has served me well for many years. I've been told that I don't need the pistol, I should just hit whatever game I want with the holster.