The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 4, 2011, 11:58 AM   #1
JACKAL0PE

Sawed off Shotgun question

Want some advice. I've got an old Remington Model 10-A. Nothing special and it's in average shape.

I want to cut the barrel down and remove the plug to use it for home defense.

Now here's the question, I want to cut it down as far as possible and still retain its full capacity. That will get it down below the 21" required in my state.

How bad is that? I mean, if I were ever to use it and it was found...what would happen? Are we talking a fine, jail time, what?

Second, I figure I can take it down to about 18 inches. How much difference in performance would those three inches make?
Old August 4, 2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Technosavant

18 Inches from the bolt face to the end of the barrel is as short as you can go without running afoul of the 1934 National Firearms Act (assuming overall length remains over 26 inches).

If your own state requires a 21 inch barrel, then go with 21 inches. Three inches won't make the difference between a gun that maneuvers easily and one that feels like a telephone pole. Breaking the law and hoping you don't get caught is an extremely bad idea. Even though it may not be what turns a "good shoot" into a "bad shoot," they can and probably will charge you with possession of an illegal firearm. The result is usually not a fine or probation. Generally possession of a firearm in an illegal configuration is treated as though you had active plans to murder everybody in your vicinity, and you will likely be looking at a few years of prison time from a felony conviction (complete with loss of firearms rights). If you go shorter than 18" and you're caught, then you're talking a federal matter that will probably mean 10 years in prison.

FOLLOW THE LAW IN YOUR JURISDICTION.
Old August 4, 2011, 12:15 PM   #3
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technosavant
FOLLOW THE LAW IN YOUR JURISDICTION.
This -- capital letters and all.

And be aware that proposing to violate Federal or state laws is against the rules here... it's a good way to get the boot.
Old August 4, 2011, 12:15 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

No one who wishes to retain membership at TFL will entertain the notion of "how bad can it be..." If it is illegal and you wish to risk it... yer on yer own and you will not want to discuss it or post pics of it here if you wish to retain you membership here...

The mission statement that is strictly adhered to here is to promote the safe, responsible legal use and ownership of firearms... Or some such wording...

Stay legit or git...

Brent
Old August 4, 2011, 12:28 PM   #5
TylerD45ACP

I know that was a dumb question im sorry to say. Sounds like this guy has an illegal pump action and just wants some advice on cutting it down. FOLLOW THE LAW like everyone else said-- If its cut down its got to be LEGAL. Minumium barrel length of 18" I would do 18.5" to be safe and overall length must be over 26 inches. This is at least how it is in my state, I haven't heard of 21" minimum.
Old August 4, 2011, 01:20 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

When it comes to discussing was of doing things that are of questionable legality...

We don't.

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread