The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 23, 2010, 01:46 AM   #1
Ideal Tool

Now you see it, now you don't!

Hello guys, Back in the mid 70's I purchased a Shilo Sharps 1863 percussion military rifle in .45. Taght myself how to prepare combustable ctg's. Several years later, I sent gun out to their new site in Montana to have dbl. set triggers installed, along with a very early flat styled eyepiece, tang sight. Now it looks like one of Berdans Sharps. One day I was out at range, and a young fellow was watching, I dropped lever & inserted paper ctg. in breech, closed breech block & placed musket cap on nipple. After firing, dropped block, blew through breech & inserted another round. After about the third shot, this guy starts yelling..."How do you do that??!!" Where did the cartridge go??!! I let him fire a few. He said he had never heard or seen anything like it befor in his life. I get a chuckle every time I think about it.
It's kind of funny though, when we were kids, we all of us were intensily interested in the War Between The States, we all read alot, & even though we never saw a percussion revolver of rifled musket "in the flesh" we all knew how they worked. We knew about the combustable skin nd linen ctgs. for revolvers & the early breechloaders. I guess most kids don't read anymore or have an interest in history, and thats kind of sad.
Old December 23, 2010, 10:00 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

Hey I have a friend who has the 54 sporting rifle, great gun to shoot.

Question--can we use those rifles during the blackpowder season in Michigan? Or are they classed as a firearm and used only during rifle season.
Old December 23, 2010, 10:13 AM   #3
zippy13

I guess, it just goes to show that no one has made a video game that includes shooting paper cartridges.
Old December 23, 2010, 11:49 AM   #4
starbuck125

the history channel has a video game about the civil war, when reloading the firearms it shows the feller reloading powder, ball, cap on the weapon. dunno about paper rds. though , its my sons game , i've not checked it out. the boy said it was way different kind of game, but it was fun, more of a challenge.
Old December 23, 2010, 09:51 PM   #5
mykeal

Quote:
can we use those rifles during the blackpowder season in Michigan?
Nope. Muzzleloading season in Michigan means loading from the muzzle.
From:http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...1578--,00.html, about halfway down the page.
Quote:
Muzzleloading Deer Seasons
During the December muzzleloading seasons, muzzleloading deer hunters can carry afield and use only a crossbow or a muzzleloading rifle, a muzzleloading shotgun, or a black powder handgun loaded with black powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.